PDA

View Full Version : got the results on my 3 hour glucose test.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-23-2008, 04:33 AM
And everything is fine. Aparently it was just having lunch before I went in for the test. I wish they'd said something to me beforehand. It was nice to get 3 hours alone. It was actually downright peacefull. The phlebotomist(sp?) was great. All those pokes for blood draws and no bruising.

I also got my rogham shot that day and joked with the phleb. that she should have given it to me because the stupid shot actually hurt more than all the blood draws. I understand that people have to learn but JEeez, did it have to be on my hip. OUCH!!

Other than that everything went fantasticlly.

Oh, and I found out that the promise of starbucks was a great way to keep myself from upchucking the glucose drink when we were about halfway through the test.

KHF
11-23-2008, 07:59 AM
They didn't tell you to fast before the test?!?! No wonder you failed the first one! I have to fast at least 5 hours before the test.

I had to take 2 of the one hour ones this time...the one early on (about 10 weeks), I never would have survived the glucose drink if it hadn't been for my anti-nausea meds. It's definitely not fun to do one in the midst of morning sickness!

Swimfreak78
11-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Great news! I had to take the three hour as well and it worked out okay.

TraciG
11-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Congrat's !

I had to take it twice because the first time I got dizzy & threw up YUCK

shawnandangel
11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Congrats! Glad everything is okay!

BeachBum
11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Good for you! I had my 3 hour the same day.
Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky....

o_mom
11-23-2008, 02:56 PM
They didn't tell you to fast before the test?!?! No wonder you failed the first one! I have to fast at least 5 hours before the test.

The one hour does not require fasting. Eating a high carb meal ahead of time can skew it and send you off to the 3 hr, but a reasonable high protein snack is fine before it.

KHF
11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
The one hour does not require fasting. Eating a high carb meal ahead of time can skew it and send you off to the 3 hr, but a reasonable high protein snack is fine before it.

They won't let us eat anything 5 hours before in my practice. They ask you before taking the test, and if you've had anything to eat, they tell you to come back another day.

o_mom
11-23-2008, 08:52 PM
They won't let us eat anything 5 hours before in my practice. They ask you before taking the test, and if you've had anything to eat, they tell you to come back another day.

Sorry, should have said the standard one hour glucose tolerance screening at a lab does not require fasting. An individual practice requiring it is not getting incorrect results, but they are probably causing a lot of pregnant women unecessary discomfort.

KHF
11-23-2008, 08:54 PM
An individual practice requiring it is not getting incorrect results, but they are probably causing a lot of pregnant women unecessary discomfort.

Ha, you aren't kidding there. Mine have been scheduled at 8:00 am, which essentially means, unless I want to get up at 2:30 am and eat, I haven't eaten since about 10 pm the night before!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-23-2008, 10:09 PM
exactly! We stopped at eintseins bagel and I was good and got a chicken wrap,pickle,and potato chips. Which was fine alone. But I think the nantcucket nectar was what sent it over the edge.