PDA

View Full Version : would you buy/use a used co-sleeper?

lmh2402
11-23-2008, 11:32 PM
saw this post on a local parents board this evening...

"I have 2 arm's reach mini co-sleepers (see link for details) that my twins have outgrown. We used them daily from about month 2 to month 5, but they're still in great shape."

would you consider this?

the price is appealing ($45 for one)...but i'm not sure i can get past the "used-ness" of it.

appreciate your thoughts

amandabea
11-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, if you had asked me when my DH and I were first preparing for our DD's arrival, I would have said "no". But now, after assessing how little we used certain items, and looking at how much "life" many of those items still have (we're not planning on having any more DC), I'd say absolutely -- especially when you consider how costly certain things are and how little you use them. I can say that if I could find things in the condition my "used" stuff is in then I'd definitely snap them up.

I'd say check them out and if they look good, go for it and use the money you save for something else.

HTH,
Amanda

CiderLogan
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Yep, I totally would! The sheets can be laundered, right? We lent our bassinet out to a couple of friends after DD1, and I had no issues at all with using it again with DD2. I agree with PP -- save the $$ for something you'll use for longer or that you really want (a great stroller, or carseat, or playroom storage furniture...something that lasts beyond just a few months).

missym
11-24-2008, 04:36 PM
We bought a used Arms Reach for $50 and were quite happy with it.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I would. I used mine for 7 months.

brittone2
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
If you think you'll use it, yes. We just coslept with our DC between us (first DS, then later my DD), but that doesn't work for everyone. We started with a bedside bassinet (sidecarred right up to the bed) but it was too much trouble to move baby in/out with BFing (for me anyway). It was not an arm's reach cosleeper though.

But the "used" aspect would not bother me. For certain baby equipment I'd check the CSPC site just to be sure, but I don't remember recalls with the Arm's Reach.

So much of our baby equipment never got used...my DC never loved the swing for example. They tolerated about 10 mins max. We used the PNP very sporadically for only a few mins at a time (safe place for the baby while I showered once they were too big/active for the bouncy seat, but too little to be loose in the bathroom).

srhs
11-25-2008, 12:55 AM
I *almost* bought a used one last month, but DS was too big for it. Anyway, I looked into it, and you can buy new mattresses. I was planning to do that after the concerns over used crib mattresses. It doesn't make it as good of a deal, but it's an option.

JoyNChrist
11-25-2008, 03:12 AM
I definitely would.

wolverine2
11-25-2008, 01:52 PM
I bought one on CL, used it for 4 months, and then sold it for what I bought it for. Can't get better than that!

JTsMom
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I *almost* bought a used one last month, but DS was too big for it. Anyway, I looked into it, and you can buy new mattresses. I was planning to do that after the concerns over used crib mattresses. It doesn't make it as good of a deal, but it's an option.

This would have been my main concern, but if you replace the mattresses, I don't see why not.