PDA

View Full Version : What books do / did your child like at 18 months?

junebaby07
11-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Just trying to get some ideas for Christmas, my daughter likes:

- Priddy books (happy baby series, Millie Moo, Rainbow Rob)
- Olivia
- Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham lift the flap book
- In the Garden w/ Van Gogh & A Magical Day w/ Matisse
- Sandra Boynton Books

We need to recharge our book collection!

Melaine
11-24-2008, 09:52 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Playful-Puppies-Picnic-Gail-Penston/dp/1591256364/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227534600&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=10+little+ladybugs
We have the doggy one and the ladybug one, but I think they would all get a lot of love.
My kids also like Eric Carle.

Melaine
11-24-2008, 09:53 AM
The animals are 3-d (like little stuffed puppy dogs in the first one). I'm not sure if you can tell that from the pic.

boolady
11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
All in board format:

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Gorilla
I Love You as Much
I Like It When
What Makes a Rainbow?
Eight Silly Monkeys
I Am a Bunny
Gossie (and other characters from Gossie series...Gertie, BooBoo, Peedie, Ollie the Stomper)
Buzz Buzz Busy Bees
I Love You Through and Through
Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

I'll keep thinking and see if I can remember some more that are in our board book basket.

amandabea
11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
we have TONS of books. In addition to many of the board books mentioned by boolady, my DD and I also like these picture books:
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems
Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity by Mo Willems
The Spider and The Fly by Tony DiTerlizzi
The Napping House by Audrey Wood
Click, Clack, Moo - Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
Move Over Rover by Karen Beaumont

The board books are always out for reading anytime, but I rotate the other books and keep them on her bedside table since they have paper pages -- we generally read 2-3 in the evening. Although the two Knuffle Bunny books and the Spider book are always out since those are her favorites. I bought all of these (and more) from Sortfloor books at a huge discount. Now I just need a bookcase.

wendibird22
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
The Duck and Goose series:
Duck and Goose 1-2-3
What's Up Duck (book of opposites)

Bean606
11-24-2008, 11:21 AM
In addition to those mentioned in PPs, DS loved the Jan Brett books at that age, and still likes to go back to them. The Mitten and The Hat were the favorites. He also really enjoyed "On the Day You Were Born" and "Is Your Mama a LLama."

brittone2
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
The Priddy picture books (she enjoyed labeling the items pictured, etc.)
The Mitten
books like Tails
Touch and feel kinds of books
Gerda Muller books (pictures only, but we talked about what we saw).
pretty much anything else...Sandra Boyton, Goodnight Moon, Mama Mama, Papa Papa, etc.

MamaKath
11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Lots of the ones already mentioned....

Good night Moon
The Napping House
Dinosaurs Galore
On the Day you were born

Eric Carle's books, they had multiples since the board books lived in our bag, the regular books near the bed-
Very Hungry Caterpillar
Brown Bear Brown Bear
The very Quiet Cricket
Do you want to be my friend
Walter the Baker (a little bit older)
Have you seen my cat (a little bit older)
The Grouchy Lady Bug
The very busy spider
today is monday

brittone2
11-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Adding Laura Numeroff's books (if you give a pig a pancake, etc.).

2nd Move Over, Rover! (DS still likes this one at 4.5).

Ella, Olivia, etc. are all hits here w/ both kids (almost 2 and 4.5).

eta: at that age, DS also liked Miss Spider's Tea Party, and the Bear series (Bear Snores On, etc.)

SASM
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
She is not 18 mos, only 14 mos, but DD2 LOVES "Ten Little Ladybugs" (yellow cover with plastic ladybugs that "disappear". She loves to use her "counting finger". This is the only one that she actually grabs off the book shelf. :) I am just mentioning DD at 14mo b/c my other two didn't look at this until much older, like 18 mo.

JoyNChrist
11-25-2008, 03:04 AM
Lots of those mentioned already (especially Mo Willems, Sandra Boynton, Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss, and of course Goodnight Moon), but DS's favorite for the past several months has been Me Baby, You Baby by Ashley Wolff. It can get kind of repetitive for mommy, but I love the book almost as much as he does - beautiful illustrations, characters of different races, and a soothing storyline. DS likes to point out all of the different animals, and he has even started saying some of the lines with me (I guess the repetition and rhyme helps him memorize it...kind of like a song). It has become one of our standard gifts for the infant and toddler set. I think everyone needs this book!