PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal sleep behavior??

ckso
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
My baby is 2 months old. When she sleeps, she tends to thrash around quite a bit. She's moving her head, arms and legs constantly which of course wakes her up. She also makes grunting noises while she sleeps.

Is all that normal? Does your baby do the same things?

I'm swaddling her now when she sleeps so that her thrashing around doesn't wake herself up but I'm trying to transition her out of it cuz sometimes she'll fall asleep which I'm holding her or nursing her. When I put her down to swaddle her, it wakes her up and it takes a while for me to sooth her back to sleep.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

TraciG
11-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Why don't you swaddle her before you nurse ?? Also if you're worried you can alway's call the pediatrician & ask over the phone.

Melaine
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
It sounds pretty normal to me....we swaddled for months with our girls. I would keep swaddling and do your best to put her down sleepy but not asleep. (I don't mean that she can't ever fall asleep in your arms, just that it's not the ultimate goal, ykwim?) That will be a better habit in the long run.

KrisM
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
DS2 is 4 months and still swaddled. I think we swaddled DD until about 6 months. I'd swaddle before nursing, if that's the problem.

aes74
12-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Totally normal...little babies have what we call "crazy arms!" Swaddling does the trick and helps most babies feel safe and secure. And they aren't woken up by their crazy arms. I agree with the pp, you can always swaddle before you nurse.

slworld
12-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Like all PPs mention, thats normal. DS used to always do that and the only way we could get him to sleep is to swaddle. He is almost 6 months old and we still swaddle him. And see if you can nurse her swaddled that way she stays asleep after she is done (like Melaine suggested you could also try to put her down drowsy and see if she can fall asleep on her own).