PDA

View Full Version : Newly Preg...maternity clothes question!!!

Jackieluv
11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I am currently only slightly over 5 weeks right now. So, obviously I am not showing...I am bloated though lol.... Anyway, my friend brought up that I will probably have to get a new winter coat..... How do I know what size I am....do they size maternity clothes the same as normal sizes? Also, I really want to ge the bargains that are selling right now for summer clothes...I am due in July. Would it be the same size? What is the general rule of thumb and any advice you can give me regarding the whole maternity clothing issue would be greatly appreciated!:D

Snow mom
11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Most companies try to size so that you just order your pre-preg size. If you can try things on remember that you will probably grow most around your midline but might gain a bra size or two. It seems sensible to buy summer clothes now if you can get a really good deal on them. If you don't grow into them as expected you can resell on craigslist or consignment. I wouldn't cut off the tags or wash them until you are sure they will get worn. Good luck-- maternity clothes can be frustrating.

~Lisa

Jackieluv
11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Thank you so much....that was very helpful. I love craigslit and I think that is a valuable idea at not cutting of the tags!

proudsahmof3
11-24-2008, 01:39 PM
I would really not worry about getting a new winter coat, especially at the stage of pregnancy that you are in. I live in the midwest (where it gets below zero in winter so winter coat means WINTER COAT) and am due in 1 week with baby #3, and still wearing my regular winter coat. True, it's a little snug, but I find it unlikely that you will be big enough to need a larger/maternity size winter coat within the next few months. Congrats!

mecawa
11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
First, congratulations!!!! Second I agree with the the other posters. Being due in July you will probably be okay with your regular winter coats. I am due in Jan. and I am still wearing my regular winter coats right now. I do have one maternity winter coat left over from DD#1 that I will probably drag out within the next month. Being due in July you should be fine. Also if you want to buy summer clothes now I would buy your regular pre pregnancy size. Most companies make their clothing so all you need to do is buy your pre pregnancy size. That's what I have done with both pregnancies. It's different for everyone, but I stayed the same pants size through both pregnancies, and tops I stayed the same size too (sometimes I can wear a size bigger in tops during the last two months because of my increase in bust size). Congrats again and good luck!!!!!

elephantmeg
11-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't think you'd need a new coat. In fact mine fit even though I was due in feb/march

MontrealMum
11-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I did not need a new winter coat the year I was pregnant - I delivered in Aug., so my timing was similar to yours. However, I did need one the year I gave birth as my chest size went up quite a lot postpartum due to nursing and I couldn't close any of my coats (I also needed new shirts and sweaters). This does not happen to everyone, but it's something to keep at the back of your mind.

I think it's a great idea to take advantage of sales now, but I would not expect that you'll be able to completely outfit yourself for the entire pregnancy. Everyone "grows" differently. Many people find themselves needing a bigger pants size (and tops sometimes too) for those last 1-2 months, than they took in maternity clothes for months 6-8ish. You may not be one of those people, but just a warning...You may also need new bras at some point (not nursing, but while you're still pregnant). There is no way to predict whether you will, and how much bigger you'll get though, so you'll have to wait on those too.
HTH :)

Zoey187
11-29-2008, 01:02 AM
My baby is sitting all in front of me. I have had to wear two different size shirts. I am due in Jan and when I first statred wearing my maternity clothes (which was during the summer) I could wear small shirts. Now that it is getting colder and I need longer sleeves, I had to go to large size shirts. I tried smalls and even meds on and it wouldn't cover my stomach. I found it very confusing when they say buy your pre-pregnancy size. Small shirts just wouldn't cut it for me now. Just to get an idea, I am 4'11" and normally around 120 pounds. As for pants, I have been able to wear the same size pants that I would wear if i wasn't pregnant, but just in maternity! Shoes are a different issue! Nothing is fitting!!

ahrimie
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
i had my baby in may and i actually needed a new coat. i'm 5'3", normally about 105 lbs, gained 30 lbs, but almost all just in the belly... and in the michigan cold, i really wanted/needed to cover my belly too.

i actually ended up buying a regular coat that had a pleat in the front and back, in a size up (bc your chest and shoulders get wider it seems)... but in hindsight, i wish i had bought a maternity coat. it would have covered my belly throughout the entire pregnancy and the proportions would have fit better. though the regular did its job, i couldn't wear it towards the end again. the winter here is a bit long.. so towards the end, i bought long cheap sweater coats (from forever 21) and wore them with other layers to keep warm. i loved the sweater coats bc ithey're a bit stretchy... however, not flattering to the butt if you "stretch" it too much :P

maiaann
11-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm also due in July, with my third. My last baby was born in February and I absolutely needed a maternity coat. The first day it snowed that year, I desperately went into Motherhood and bought one of the only *3* styles (sigh) they had. My first baby was born in October and I was able to wear my regular coat the entire time. Since most regular coats are cut roomy and you're not gigantic until late into the second trimester/third trimester, you'll probably be okay with your regular coat. One word of advice - don't buy too much ahead. It's really hard to predict your maternity size & it's better to try it on and buy it when you really need it.

kijip
11-29-2008, 02:30 PM
I had my son in June and found a lighter maternity coat was nice for the rainy spring weather here. But if it is nice in April and May in your climate, I don't think you need a maternity coat.

scrooks
11-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I had my DD in July and didn't need a new winter coat. What I did use a lot was just a basic maternity zip up sweater/hoodie. I wore it as a sweater in the winter (Ohio- it's cold) and in the spring it became my "coat". I got brown which was a nice neutral color. I agree with everyone else- stock up on shorts and tees now for the summer. I basically wore my maternity stuff all summer (2 months prior to giving birth and 2 months post). Also...at the end I just seemed to get HUGE so I had to buy a few tees that seemed ridiculously big early on but were all that would fit the last month!