PDA

View Full Version : booster seat on a tall chair?

jent
11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
DD is 18 mos and I know would like to join us at the table rather than her high chair. Problem is, we always eat in our kitchen where we just have an island that is countertop-height to sit at. We've got chairs that are the same height as barstools but with a wider seat and high back. I'd like to put a booster seat on one, but not sure if it's safe. Has anyone done the same thing? Or I could just go the clip-on seat route.

ekbecker1
11-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I used a booster seat on our counter height bar stools for DS for a long time. I felt like it was safer than a clip on would be. I had one of those boosters that was more like a high chair with the lap strap, bar across the lap and it's own tray. I got that kind because I felt like he would be more enclosed. It felt totally safe and we never had any problems.

neeleymartin
11-26-2008, 08:44 PM
according to fisher price it is not safe to put a booster on a bar height chair. way more of a tipping hazard.

i know this b/c when we were expecting ds1 we didn't want a highchair. i called with your exact concern, they gave me a resounding "not safe" we went the regular highchair route. days later, a friends 9mos old tipped over in her booster attached to a higher chair. lots of blood, no stitches or serious damage, thank goodness.

with that said, we started with a traditional hc, moved to a phil and ted metoo clip on and now (3 days now) we use...get ready...a booster?!?! my dh is more concerned than i. just make sure if you go the booster route, your little one is NEVER unattended, not even for a second. that's when it happens.

pinkmomagain
11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Our kitchen table is at counter height and we all eat at barstools. My youngest is in a Chicco highchair and it has worked out great. I just removed the tray table and pushed her up to the table as close as I can. I think the arms fit under the table. When she was smaller I put a phone book or two underneath the seat cushion to boost her up a little. I was too afraid to put a booster on the bar stools. Of course now she can also climb up them and often wants to sit on the bar stools. I think soon we'll be getting rid of the high chair. HTH

jent
11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
according to fisher price it is not safe to put a booster on a bar height chair. way more of a tipping hazard.

i know this b/c when we were expecting ds1 we didn't want a highchair. i called with your exact concern, they gave me a resounding "not safe" we went the regular highchair route. days later, a friends 9mos old tipped over in her booster attached to a higher chair. lots of blood, no stitches or serious damage, thank goodness.

with that said, we started with a traditional hc, moved to a phil and ted metoo clip on and now (3 days now) we use...get ready...a booster?!?! my dh is more concerned than i. just make sure if you go the booster route, your little one is NEVER unattended, not even for a second. that's when it happens.

Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at the P&T if we don't get a booster. Did you not like it, is that why you switched?

neeleymartin
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
we love it but 3 meals a day plus snacks was messy, as you know. the chair is a pain to clean. it's spot clean (or something like that) far too much work for so many messes. a friend of a friend claims to put hers in the dishwasher, i simply can't believe that. i tried once and it seemed soggy for days.

my cleaning method is soak for 5minutes in the sink in soapy hot water then scrub with a nail brush (the caked on gooey, messes) then rinse. still remains damp for a day or so, due to the padding in the base of the seat. we just put a kitchen towel under the little ones rump.

we will continue to use it for eating out, it is amazing. the cleaning part really just irritated me. food would get stuck in the cracks where the clamps meet the table (unless you take it off each time). boy, i really sound lazy. but working full time and having a husband that does the same on an opposite schedule is like single parenting, soooo little time.

the booster is a simple wipe and go.

jent
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
the chair is a pain to clean. it's spot clean (or something like that) far too much work for so many messes.

Oh well then, I'm all about the quick clean-up too.

And I've pulled the high chair up to the counter, but DD is way to short for that to work anytime soon. I don't think I have a thick enough phone book!

Aishe
12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Would a Kaboost work?

http://www.rightstart.com/global/store/product~item~7532~dept~feeding~cat~highchairs+and+ boosters.html