PDA

View Full Version : Maui - Carrier, Stroller, Carseat

mpbaby
11-25-2008, 03:13 AM
We are traveling to Maui for a week with our 9 month old son in a couple of weeks. We bought a Kelty Backpack Carrier for hikes and the trek through the airport, but we also have an Ergo. Should we bring both on the trip, or is the Kelty enough?

Also, would it be foolish to leave the stroller at home? We have a Maclaren Ryder stroller, and though it's not huge, we'd like to minimize luggage. We figure that, worst case scenario, we can drop into a Wal-Mart and buy a cheapie stroller?

Also, our son currently rides in a Britax Marathon, but we don't want to bring that on the trip because it's huge. What is a safe, but cheaper and lighter, alternative? Can I just rent one through the car rental company? Should I just buy one when I get there (I won't need it on the plane)... Of course, if I buy one there, I will need to wait at the airport while my husband runs to Wal-Mart to pick up the car seat, baby food, formula, etc.... Too bad I can't order one shipped to the airport or something!

Thanks.

bubbaray
11-25-2008, 10:00 AM
I would bring a stroller and the car seat and gate check both.

I would bring the Ergo and not the Kelty

Zansu
11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree with PP: bring the stroller you like to use, bring the carseat you know how to install, and bring a carrier that's comfortable to use.

If you don't want to take the MA, get a Cosco Scenera.

You'll use the stroller at the airports, but the carrier will be easier the rest of the time. Lahaina is too crowded for a stroller and I assume Kihei is too.

shburks
12-17-2008, 03:50 PM
We took our Combi to Lahaina and had no problems with it. The sidewalks aren't particularly wide, but if you're other option is to carry the child, I'd totally take my stroller! The first time we took ds to Maui, he was just shy of 2 and went again two months later. We took the stroller both times and did just fine.

We always travelled with our Cosco Scenara. So light to carry around!

elektra
12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I went to Kauai with our then 15 mo DD.
We brought the Kelty and left the Ergo. (DH gets pretty sweaty and the Kelty was better for the actual hiking we did. I also used it myself in the airport.)
We brought out P3 and bungee corded the Marathon in the seat. DD actually rode in the seat a bit in the stroller like that in the airport. We also had her in the seat on the plane too.
So glad we had the stroller to both lug stuff in the airport and also on the trip.
When/if we go next summer, I may bring the Scenera for her instead, as it's lighter and I can maybe hang it off the back. I will also have another baby too but that's a whole 'nother issue YOU don't need to worry about. ;)

erincarter
01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
If you have AAA and rent a car through Hertz, you get a carseat for free.

amandabea
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
If you have AAA and rent a car through Hertz, you get a carseat for free.

ugh, using a rental-car carseat is a bad idea. It will likely be filthy (ick) and it could be expired and/or recalled (dangerous). I would not recommend it. Besides, it's really nice to keep the baby contained in the carseat on the plane.