PDA

View Full Version : How can I make some $$ while SAHM?????

newmomto1
11-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I need ideas!
I've been looking around on line, but I don't know where to start & what's reputable.

I am already an Arbonne consultant.
I love the products (it's all I use), & I have regular customers that buy from me. But, as far as this being an extra income...that's just not going to happen right now. I just don't have the time it takes to be out & about building the business.

I really need something I can do from home while the kids are alseep or at preschool.

Something online, or other. I am open to suggestions!!

If there is anything you have persomal experience with or you know for a fact is reputable...please share!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

bluestarfish18
11-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Oo oo! Count me in! I'm a bored stiff over here and need something to do and some dough to make!

Pennylane
11-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I have been a ChaCha guide for the past 3 months and love it! I can do it at home, online anytime of day and I get paid per question that I answer. There are obviously times of the day when you are busier, but luckily it works with my DC's schedules.

I'd be more than glad to answer any questions if you are interested!

Ann

blisstwins
11-25-2008, 07:05 PM
WHat is a chacha guide? I feel so old lately. I never know what anyone is talking about!

pinkmomagain
11-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, I've been selling items on Craigslist. And I've been really enjoying it. I've made a couple of hundred $$ so far.

Pennylane
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
WHat is a chacha guide? I feel so old lately. I never know what anyone is talking about!

Here is a link to their website. Basically what I do is answer questions that people text in. Weather, directions, phone numbers, anything really. It is easy as long as you are pretty good about finding info online.

http://www.chacha.com/

Ann

niccig
11-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Here is a link to their website. Basically what I do is answer questions that people text in. Weather, directions, phone numbers, anything really. It is easy as long as you are pretty good about finding info online.

http://www.chacha.com/

Ann

Can I ask how much you make on average? I read in their FAQs, it depends and could be $3-$9 an hour. Could you make $5000 a year??? I ask because I need to make that much to put in for childcare Flexible Spending Account.

This could be perfect for me. I used to be a reference librarian at a university, and I'm trying to start up research consulting work, and this could help fill days when I don't have any work. Also reminds me to look at 24/7 Reference Work with libraries, but for that you have to log on/off at certain times.

Aishe
11-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately, they're not looking for new guides right now.

niccig
11-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately, they're not looking for new guides right now.

Oh well, I'll keep checking to see when they do look to recruit. This is what I used to do at libraries + more detailed research. Most commonly asked question at a library reference desk "where's the toilet?". We used to joke about how much money we could make if we get paid for every person who asked us that....

newmomto1
11-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, I've been selling items on Craigslist. And I've been really enjoying it. I've made a couple of hundred $$ so far.

I sell on Ebay. But I need something else too......

Pennylane
11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Can I ask how much you make on average? I read in their FAQs, it depends and could be $3-$9 an hour. Could you make $5000 a year??? I ask because I need to make that much to put in for childcare Flexible Spending Account.

This could be perfect for me. I used to be a reference librarian at a university, and I'm trying to start up research consulting work, and this could help fill days when I don't have any work. Also reminds me to look at 24/7 Reference Work with libraries, but for that you have to log on/off at certain times.

It really depends on how many hours you work. The first month it was really busy and I worked about 45 hours and made $450.00, $300.00 last month, but I did not work for 10 days.

I did not realize they were not hiring guides right now. I would keep checking back. It really is the perfect thing for a SAHM that just want a little extra cash.

Ann

niccig
11-25-2008, 08:53 PM
To answer the OP's question...

Do you have any particular skills or services that you supply?

A friend of mine is a graphic designer, self-taught, and she works freelance from home. People send her what they need and she sends back the finished product.

I've also seen things like book keeping from home or virtual personal assistant.

niccig
11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I did not realize they were not hiring guides right now. I would keep checking back. It really is the perfect thing for a SAHM that just want a little extra cash.

Ann

Thanks Ann. This would be fine for me. If I don't have any other work, then this would fit in nicely with our schedule - DS at preschool and I'm always on the computer anyways..

I emailed them asking if they knew when they'll be open to recruitment again. I'll post if I hear anything back.

Nicci

Melaine
11-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I tried to apply as a ChaCha guide and I was really disappointed. In the middle of my test, my computer "crashed" (I guess). I basically only got to finish about half of it. Needless to say, I failed. I e-mailed ChaCha and asked if I could have another chance, but I never heard back. I'd really hoped that would work out, so I was disappointed.

kijip
11-25-2008, 09:14 PM
I suggest putting to use any professional skills you have and trying to get a local at home employment situation going. For example, I have friends that do translations at home, one that edits textbooks in her field, several that do bookkeepping or general accounting from home etc. If I were looking to work from home, for example, I would write grants for non-profits from home or do the books and state paperwork for a non-profit too small to need a bookkeepper on staff. It tends to work out better this way than trying to find some job that is aimed only at SAHMs.

MMEand1
11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I tried to apply as a ChaCha guide and I was really disappointed. In the middle of my test, my computer "crashed" (I guess). I basically only got to finish about half of it. Needless to say, I failed. I e-mailed ChaCha and asked if I could have another chance, but I never heard back. I'd really hoped that would work out, so I was disappointed.

Yep...happened to me too. I then logged onto another computer and re-applied using another e-mail and was allowed to do the test again. I passed, but was then told that basically I was not what they were looking for even though I passed all the skills tests.

Good luck! Let me know when someone finds something...would be nice to have a little extra each month - Uncle Sam doesn't pay that well!!!

Jenny_A
11-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I signed up with 2 marketing research firms in my area. They call quite frequently looking for me to participate in studies for various companies. When they call they will tell me when the study is and then ask me a few questions to see if I qualify to participate. I do have to travel to their offices but it typically only takes an hour of my time and they pay between $50 to $100 per study. There are quite a few at night so I can do it when DH is home.

I did one for Crate & Barrell. They were working on their wedding registry so the group I participated in answered a bunch of questions about what we would want out of a registry, etc...

I did another one for a faucet company. We had to look at about 20 different faucets and rate which ones we liked best.

It's fun!

You'd probably just have to start asking around, maybe do a google search for your area and find some research firms who do things like that. There may also be some online opportunities for things like this too.

Jenny

KrisM
11-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I sell on ebay and Amazon. I can sell as much as I want or as little as I want. I mostly shop while DS is in school and list at night. I ship in the evenings or the morning, depending on how many items I'm sending that day. I enjoy it.

kijip
11-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I sell on ebay and Amazon. I can sell as much as I want or as little as I want. I mostly shop while DS is in school and list at night. I ship in the evenings or the morning, depending on how many items I'm sending that day. I enjoy it.

Do you sell new stuff you find on sale or used stuff that will go for more to the wider audience?

newmomto1
11-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Do you sell new stuff you find on sale or used stuff that will go for more to the wider audience?

Bump...I'd like to know that too!!

elektra
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I suggest putting to use any professional skills you have and trying to get a local at home employment situation going. For example, I have friends that do translations at home, one that edits textbooks in her field, several that do bookkeepping or general accounting from home etc. If I were looking to work from home, for example, I would write grants for non-profits from home or do the books and state paperwork for a non-profit too small to need a bookkeepper on staff. It tends to work out better this way than trying to find some job that is aimed only at SAHMs.

Ditto.
This is how I would approach it too. The company I work for actually does remote access and remote meeting software. You can do many things from home using these tools beside the typical ebay sales type of stuff.
I myself work from home full time ( I need a sitter though) as a remote employee in the marketing department for my company.

KrisM
11-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Both. I sell used kids clothing that I get mostly at thrift stores or garage sales. Just the high end brands though.

I also sell new things that I get on clearance for a steal. Most of these require holding and waiting for a year or so though until you can't get them in the store any longer and people turn to other places.

I also sell "hot toys". I hit many stores each day trying to find the toy that no one else can and I sell those for a good profit. I consider it to be personal shopping for others.

Pennylane
11-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Same thing happened to me, but I emailed them and was allowed to take the test again.

Ann

mdb78
11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
I sell on both ebay and etsy. :)

kransden
11-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I take surveys online for a company. I like doing it and have done it for about 4 years. I average about 2 surveys a week. I make between 50-100 a year. Not much money, but an extra 100 comes in handy during Xmas! There aren't any catches, they don't sell your email either. If you're interested, pm me, I get a small referral bonus.

Fairy
11-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Well, if ya'll are crafty, I make beaded jewelry and handmade cards. I am not the most talented of these folks by far, but I think I do ok. I've never tried selling any (well, once, but it was last minute and poorly planned and I wasn't ready), the real intent was for just the joy of doing it. I started by making scrapbooks for other people of the photos I took at their weddings or of their brand new baby, then I'd give it to them. I just loved doing it, and I've gotten quite good at it. I ahve not a single scrapbook for msyelf, but I jsut love making them for others. It morphed into cards. Beaded jewelry is the same. I was thinking of seeking out a craft fair in the summer and see if there's a cost benefit to participating in that, how much I'd have to have on hand, etc. But if you're crafty, knit, make quilts, make stuff that other people might like, a craft fair here and there might help. Not sure about how much you could make up to $5k or whatever, but ... it's an idea?

SASM
11-30-2008, 10:12 AM
If you like to write about anything, check out http://www.associatedcontent.com/

My cousin does this and get paid per published article. She also gets paid every time someone clicks on her articles. How much...I have no idea...but it is worth looking into if this is your thing. :)

Good luck!

g-mama
11-30-2008, 11:06 AM
I also sell "hot toys". I hit many stores each day trying to find the toy that no one else can and I sell those for a good profit. I consider it to be personal shopping for others.

See, this confuses me. Right now, my 8 year old ds is really into Bakugan balls (collect and trade type of things) and the stores are constantly sold out of them. The workers tell me that once they're put out on the shelves that they are gone within hours and that it's not uncommon for a person to come and clear out an entire shelf themselves. I go on craigslist and eBay and these balls that are 5.99 at Toys R Us are being sold for $15. No way am I going to pay 3x what the item is worth but I guess some people are.

Recently, I took ds to TRU and Target three times in one week because he had earned one for accomplishing something he had been working really hard on. It was so frustrating for both of us.

It really burns me up, to be honest. Is this what you're talking about?