PDA

View Full Version : Sweet potato recipe without marshmallows or mashed

niccig
11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I have to bring a sweet potato dish on Thursday. I don't like marshmallows (sorry, but I didn't grow up with this) and someone else is bringing mashed potatoes, so I didn't want to have mashed sweet potatoes as well.

ANY suggestions?? PLEASE....

alexsmommy
11-25-2008, 09:42 PM
In the t-day recipe thread I posted Lana's Sweet Potato Casserole dish. I hate marshmallow's - so I double the crumbly topping and leave out the marshmallows. Yummy and no complaints ever about no marshmallows.

egoldber
11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't like my sweet potatoes with added "sweet". I just peel, cut in large chunks, and roast at 350 for about 30-35 minutes. Easy and yummy. :) You could toss with a little butter before roasting if you like.

This also works with squash as well. :)

bubbaray
11-25-2008, 10:07 PM
I also posted this on Stacy's thread:

http://www.saveonfoods.com/foodnutrition/recipes/cranberry_sweet_potato_bake.htm

Seriously, this dish rocks. Healthy too.

MontrealMum
11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
We do "unfried" veggies, including sweet potatoes, reg. potatoes, carrots, parsnips...

1) Peel all veggies and cut into chunks...tho I usually do the sweet potatoes into strips like "fries" - they take MUCH longer otherwise.
2) Spray with olive oil from a hand-pump oil dispenser (you can buy them at kitchen stores) otherwise you can use Pam or even regular oil, we just do the olive oil because this is supposed to be a healthier option for veggies.
3) Sprinkle with spice mixture, or roll the veggies around in it - I usually do red pepper, paprika, black pepper, mustard and salt but you can do what sounds good to you, there's also Bay's Spice mixture which is pre-done though I think it has MSG (I can't get it up here so I stopped using it years ago)
4) Put on a cookie sheet and pop in the oven at 350 F for around 45 min. The potatoes will take longer than the carrots, so you might want to add them a little later to make sure they don't get too done. You can put onions cut into rings in too, but they only take 20 min or so, so you need to add them last. I've tried cauliflower and broccoli but they didn't work very well :(

trentsmom
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
I had a great sweet potato recipe last year from Southern Living. The sweet potatoes were sliced into thick rounds, placed in a casserole dish, a pecan on top of each, an orange-flavored liquid poured over, and then baked. It was so good that my mom is making it again this year!

niccig
11-26-2008, 02:44 AM
Thanks. I'm keeping all of these recipes. DH LOVES sweet potato, so now I've got a few more to cook.