PDA

View Full Version : Infant Eczema?

Clarity
11-25-2008, 09:50 PM
DD2 now has a dry scalp...so dry it feels rough. This stretches over her head to her forehead and becomes more red and raised down her hairline to her ear. She also has a rough bumpy rash under her chin and today I noticed small spots of red bumpy rash in the more moist folds of her neck. I wondered if this might be eczema?
How important is it to let the pediatrition know that she's got such dry skin? Should I wait until her 4 month appt? I tend to lean toward "watch and wait" but maybe I shouldn't. I pointed him to an almost imperceptable rash on her chest at her 2 month checkup last week and he just asked what I was putting on it - my reply was "nothing". He nodded and then didn't say much else. The chest rash really didn't seem serious. However, the dry scalp and face have really just begun to get worse.
I know there are mama's here w/dc who have Eczema so I thought I'd seek some input, maybe it IS just dry skin but if it is not, what can I do to mitigate the rash? She's bf'd, is Eczema allergy related? We are using Dreft for her clothes, I just started using All Clear for our own clothes and I use California Baby when I bathe her. I'm going to apply some vaseline to her face tonight before bedtime and see if that helps.
TIA!

sste
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM
It sounds like ezcema. Act now! We didn't realize what ours was and it got way worse very quickly and our baby ended up with bloody scratches, it was awful for a couple of weeks. You need to do lots of moisturizing with a thick cream (vaseline works well, california baby cream, eucerin - - you may have to try a couple). You need to moisturize daily. Reduce the frequency of baths and consider throwing some aveeno oatmeal bath in there. Get rid of the dreft, it has dye and perfume. Use the "free and clear" version of tide or all.

bubbaray
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Do you use fabric softener of any kind (liquid or sheets)? If so, you need to stop and start using a vinegar rinse on all your laundry. No fabric softener. ITA with the PP, get rid of the Dreft and use a detergent without dyes or perfume. We've had good luck with Arm & Hammer Essentials dye & perfume free and Tide Free 2x.

Vaseline works well right after the bath, as does Aquaphor. California baby has some scented products, you need to skip all scented products until you figure out what is causing the eczema (if that is what it is).

Nyfeara
11-26-2008, 12:19 AM
We dumped the Dreft and started using the All Free & Clear and gave the clothes a 2nd rinse. We also use the dryer balls instead of any dryer sheets.

Our ped recommended no soap in DS's bath, let him soak in the water for 20 mins, then pat him dry & smother him in Aquaphor. We also found that the Eucerin Calming Creme worked well for him too. Ped also suggested a 1% hydrocortisone cream for when he really flared up, but we've used that very, very sparingly.

His skin has gotten much, much better but you have to keep on top of it. Even now, he gets the Aquaphor or the Calming Creme applied every morning when we dress him and then at least again at night when he changes into his PJ's. The Aquaphor seemed to really help the dryness and the Calming Creme helped reduce the itchiness factor for him.

irie i
11-26-2008, 12:26 AM
My nephew has eczema...I sent my sister some hemp cream and it cleared right up. Hemp = amazing...but it doesn't smell amazing.

Clarity
11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Do you use fabric softener of any kind (liquid or sheets)? If so, you need to stop and start using a vinegar rinse on all your laundry. No fabric softener. ITA with the PP, get rid of the Dreft and use a detergent without dyes or perfume. We've had good luck with Arm & Hammer Essentials dye & perfume free and Tide Free 2x.

Vaseline works well right after the bath, as does Aquaphor. California baby has some scented products, you need to skip all scented products until you figure out what is causing the eczema (if that is what it is).

No, I don't use fabric softener any of our clothes so we should be okay there. I may start using the vinegar rinse anyhow though. I'll ditch the Dreft, thank you both for the suggestion. And, darn it, our CB IS the scented version. Thanks for mentioning that. As of right now, I'm going to try to rewash her laundry and change her shampoo and see if that helps clear up her skin. Thanks for the suggestions!!

newmomto1
11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
DD had horrible eczema.
We tried EVERYTHING, but, turned out to be due to food alleriges.
She didn't get better until she FINALLY got put on the right formula.
I would definitely discuss w/ the doc.
Good luck!!

ThreeofUs
11-26-2008, 01:17 PM
No, I don't use fabric softener any of our clothes so we should be okay there. I may start using the vinegar rinse anyhow though. I'll ditch the Dreft, thank you both for the suggestion. And, darn it, our CB IS the scented version. Thanks for mentioning that. As of right now, I'm going to try to rewash her laundry and change her shampoo and see if that helps clear up her skin. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Your poor little one! :hug:

Your strategy sounds right to me - eliminate all colorings and fragrances that could touch her skin.

But do you really need to use shampoo on her right now, though? This is just a suggestion, but what if you just let her skin "relax" a little? That is, just bathe her in water for 3 days to a week, and then start adding back one thing at a time - like a non-colored or -fragranced shampoo - you might be able to help her sooner and ensure you're not somehow compounding the problem.

Eczema is such a touchy, troublesome problem. Good luck to you both as you work on this!

saschalicks
11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
We had major issues w/cradle cap w/both boys. I don't know if this is different. Our ped told us to get hard core dandruff shampoo (Sebulex sp?) and to use a baby comb while it's in to try to get the flakes you can off gently. He said to do this until it cleared up. It really helped a lot. He told us to use Dove soap for bath time.

As for a great eczema remedy Aquaphor makes a baby version that is super thick and is the ONLY think that worked on rashes for the boys.

Poor little one.

Clarity
11-26-2008, 09:34 PM
But do you really need to use shampoo on her right now, though? This is just a suggestion, but what if you just let her skin "relax" a little? That is, just bathe her in water for 3 days to a week, and then start adding back one thing at a time - like a non-colored or -fragranced shampoo - you might be able to help her sooner and ensure you're not somehow compounding the problem.

You know, I thought about skipping the soap, perhaps I'll try this too. But she's a "happy spitter" and quite often she smells of it...perhaps water alone will work well enough. Worth a try. She's rashy around the eyes today. It's just so odd.

bubbaray
11-27-2008, 12:02 AM
You can use Cetaphil cleanser -- works for hair too. Its really the mildest thing, next to no soap/cleanser at all. Also, we were told my DD#2's ped. dermatologist to bathe her at least once a day, or twice, and to immediately put Vaseline (or other moisturizer, though anything white would sting -- look for ointments) on. THe key is locking in the moisture.

DrSally
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
DH had really bad eczema in his inner arms and eyes/eye area! I second what everyone else says about eliminating the fragrances and fabric softeners. I find a bath is actually hydrating if you put lotion on right away afterward. We use Aveeno baby wash very sparingly and that works. Baby magic used to make a foam bath wash that was great b/c you got a handful of foam, but it was only a little soap + air. Anyway, we use Eucerin replenishing lotion first, then Eucerin cream on the rough spots, then sometimes Aquaphor if it's really bad, to seal in the moisture.