PDA

View Full Version : FDA finds traces of melamine in US infant formula

clb
11-26-2008, 12:12 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j7SAbhJj3By_isZUoRAgTOPHzwkQD94MB1S80

"Traces of the industrial chemical melamine have been detected in samples of top-selling U.S. infant formula, but federal regulators insist the products are safe."

DrSally
11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
I read this in the WSJ and wasn't thrilled that they didn't disclose the manufacturers or brands or exact amounts they found.

ETA: I have to say that formula does have the chance for contamination, which we discussed in a different thread, which is something that isn't talked about a lot.

Tondi G
11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Just figures! The FDA just assumes things are "OK" till years down the road they figure out that something they "knew about" in the past surfaces as causing problems.

tnrnchick74
11-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I read this in the WSJ and wasn't thrilled that they didn't disclose the manufacturers or brands or exact amounts they found.

From the article linked by the OP: "According to FDA data for tests of 77 infant formula samples, a trace concentration of melamine was detected in one product — Mead Johnson's Infant Formula Powder, Enfamil LIPIL with Iron. An FDA spreadsheet shows two tests were conducted on the Enfamil, with readings of 0.137 and 0.14 parts per million.
Three tests of Nestle's Good Start Supreme Infant Formula with Iron detected an average of 0.247 parts per million of cyanuric acid, a melamine byproduct."

brittone2
11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I saw this in the news this morning :nodno:

DrSally
11-26-2008, 11:40 PM
From the article linked by the OP: "According to FDA data for tests of 77 infant formula samples, a trace concentration of melamine was detected in one product — Mead Johnson's Infant Formula Powder, Enfamil LIPIL with Iron. An FDA spreadsheet shows two tests were conducted on the Enfamil, with readings of 0.137 and 0.14 parts per million.
Three tests of Nestle's Good Start Supreme Infant Formula with Iron detected an average of 0.247 parts per million of cyanuric acid, a melamine byproduct."

Ah ha. It must have been only the WSJ who didn't want to report which brands and amounts were found. Figures since they're very "pro business"

spunkybaby
11-27-2008, 12:28 AM
I read this on newsweek.com:

"On Wednesday, FDA spokeswoman Judy Leon said that spreadsheet contained an error — that the FDA had incorrectly switched the names of the Mead Johnson product with Nestle's Good Start Supreme Infant Formula with Iron. That meant, Leon said, that the Nestle's Good Start had melamine while Mead Johnson's Enfamil had traces of cyanuric acid."

and also this from the same article:
"Under the corrected information she relayed Wednesday, the results were:

— Nestle's Good Start Supreme Infant Formula with Iron had two positive tests for melamine on one sample, with readings of 0.137 and 0.14 parts per million.

— Mead Johnson's Infant Formula Powder, Enfamil LIPIL with Iron had three positive tests for cyanuric acid, at an average of 0.247 parts per million.

Separately, a third major formula maker — Abbott Laboratories, whose brands include Similac — told AP that in-house tests had detected trace levels of melamine in its infant formula. Those levels were below what FDA found in the other formulas, an Abbott spokesman said, and below any nation's safety guidelines."

The full article can be found here: http://www.newsweek.com/id/170860