PDA

View Full Version : Confused: Haba & Moolka & Ommpa toys made in CHINA?!

Fairy
11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I fully admit that I'm not at all up on the information about which toys are made in China and what's safe and what's questionable. I absolutely rely on this board for that info, people like Brittone and other folks that are very versed on all of that posting the info here. But I could have sworn that these manufacturers and websites (and Plan Toys, too) were all guaranteed to be made in Europe (or the US) and NOT made in China.

However, on Moolka and Haba, specifically, alot of their stuff online now clearly says made in Thailand and made in China.

Was that guarantee only last year when the big scare with the paint happend? Is that no more? Are they now guaranteeing safety, period, regardless of where it's made? The website even still says "European toys."

Help me understand this, cuz I'm confused.

Clarity
11-26-2008, 01:46 PM
IIRC, I heard last year that some Haba was made in China, the soft toys, I think. It's important to check the packaging. As for Plan, they are all made in Thailand.

elliput
11-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Designed in Europe, made in China or where-ever.

Practically all of Haba's soft items are MIC, I believe the all wood items are still made in Germany.

Personally, I am willing to overlook the MIC label for European designed items as I know the European standards for toys are much more stringent than the US standards. I am hoping this is not just me sticking my head in the sand.

ett
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Both of these websites have always carries brands made in China. By European toys, they mean European company/design but only a few companies's toys are all made in Europe. There are some Haba wooden toys that are made in China now, so you really need to read the label for each toy you are interested in.

There is a link on oompa for made in Europe toys and made in USA toys, which is a small percentage of the toys they carry.

I think there are very few companies who still manufacture exclusively in Europe. I'm pretty sure all of Selecta is still made in Germany.

I don't prefer to buy the Haba stuff made in China (or other European companies but made in China), because if I'm paying all that money for it, I want it to be made in Europe.

citymama
11-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Designed in Europe, made in China or where-ever.

Practically all of Haba's soft items are MIC, I believe the all wood items are still made in Germany.

Personally, I am willing to overlook the MIC label for European designed items as I know the European standards for toys are much more stringent than the US standards. I am hoping this is not just me sticking my head in the sand.

You're right, and I've done this as well. Where I can't afford a $500 made in USA wooden kitchen, I've gotten a $100 MIC-by-a-Euro company play kitchen. But I do think it's false advertising for these cos. to consistently be promoted as selling European toys - kinda like saying IKEA sells European furnishings! You have to know what you're getting, and when buying online, it isn't always 100% clear that these are actually MIC.

brittone2
11-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Haba's soft playthings, some books (soft I think?), jewelry, and a few sets of architectural blocks are MIC and have been for at least a year or two if not longer. That said, somewhere I read correspondence last year where Haba said they bring their own paint from Germany to the factory in China for stuff like the jewelry, etc.

How comfortable you are with that, YMMV.

Moolka, etc. (lots of wooden toy sets) have long sold a mix of made in Europe brands as well as Euro-designed but MIC. It isn't new.

eta: just read carefully...some sites spell it out more clearly than others. I sometimes also cross check with other sites for companies I don't know as much about. Spiel und Holz, Kathe Kruse, most Selecta and Haba are still made in Europe IIRC. I haven't bought any Vilac for a long time but at least some of their stuff was still made in Europe (France I think?) a few years ago. Edited again to add: Holztiger, Ostheimer, Kinderkram, Heros (Tuesday Morning used to carry quite a few of their toys) are all mostly made in Germany. Togu (balls) and SpielStabil (plastic sand toys, plastic gardening stuff, and plastic kitchen stuff) are all still mostly made in Europe.