PDA

View Full Version : Toy suggestions for 5 month old

slworld
11-26-2008, 09:33 PM
DS will be 5 months old in a week. He is just starting to try to grasp things. He does not seem to be very interested in any of his toys (not many, just a few rattles etc.). I was hoping to get some recommendations on some nice/interesting toys for 5+ months (of course everything he grabs ends up in his mouth….so they need to be safe & easy to clean).

Also how do your clean your DC’s toys (fabric/plastic)?

Thanks much

brittone2
11-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I didn't worry too much about cleaning toys, but when I did, I used a little vinegar in a bunch of water to disinfect. Not all toys can be submerged, so just use caution :)

At 5 months, your best bets are probably still rattles. Haba makes some cool ones, as does maplelandmark, etc. (if you are into the wooden stuff)

Some things to grow into would be:
-ringstacker (Speil und Holz makes a beautiful one. I also like the one at Holgate toys).
-music CDs (Some favs: Laurie Berkner, Justin Roberts, Raffi, They Might be Giants, Peter Hilleman, etc.)
-simple musical instruments (basic drum?). DS was 10 months for his first Christmas and I bought him a set of 3 very large jingle bells (too big to choke on if they came off) mounted on a leather strap. Fun for music, and we still use it for holiday decor.
-playsilks (DS didn't get into these until he was older...DD was into them by 8-9 months of age).
-books
-walker wagon (Radio Flyer and Haba make really nice ones, although a little $$. this is more for probably 8-9 months or older, depending on the child, but could be used as toy storage, etc. in the meantime)
-Play tunnel for when DC starts crawling. DS wasn't into this until he was older but DD enjoyed it from about 8-9 months.
-maybe some Little People if you are okay with plastic?

Non toys-
-babylegs
-soft soled shoes
-things for starting solids
-sippy cup (we love Klean Kanteen sippies here)
-pretty mobile...kinderkram makes some gorgeous ones

Most 5-6 month olds don't play with a ton of toys, which is why I'd consider a few things to grow into :)

eta: DS loved, loved, loved his cheap-o Ikea nesting/stacking cups. under $3 if they still have them! They were the first thing he crawled for when he was about 8 months or so.

If you think DC would enjoy a lovey, lots of moms like things like Taggie blankets. Neither of my kids really got attached to a lovey, but that's another idea.