PDA

View Full Version : Recurring yeast infection with cloth diapers

edurnemk
11-26-2008, 10:15 PM
My now 10-month old had a yeast infection a few weeks ago, we treated it with Nystatin and it cleared. We usually CD but during this time we used gdiapers because at first it was not clearing even with treatment. When we switched diapers it cleared very quickly.

But when we go back to CD the rash appears again. So it's back to gdiapers for a couple of weeks and then the cycle starts again. I've washed the diapers a zillion times with hot water, I use vinegar in the rinse cycle, I've stripped them twice. I also change him every couple of hours (except at night) and let him go diaper-free for a while every day. I don't know what else to try to prevent the yeast infection from appearing again with CD's. Any ideas?

JBaxter
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I'll say the B word.... bleach. Add a little to a hot wash.

edurnemk
11-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow. I hope it works 'cause I miss CDing! I mean I love gDiapers too but they're expensive, plus I already invested so much in our CD stash with the argument that we would save a ton in the long run, LOL.

edurnemk
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
So I did use bleach on my diapers, I was a little worried to do it but I checked with the maufacturer (cotton babies) and they said it was OK to use bleach occassionally. My diapers are still in perfecto shape. And hopefully this time the yeast won't come back.

saschalicks
12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I would also consider putting your child on probiotics.

amldaley
12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
We are battling yeast infection right now, too. I just washed all of our BG's and Tiny Tush Elites on the "whitest whites" (almost a sanitize setting) and used 1/4 cup bleach, plus exta rinse then re-washed normal plus extra rinse to was the bleach out. (run on sentence! :nak:) I can see the bleach effected the dipe color a little but not much.

I am also sanitizing all cloth wipes, all towels and lap pads, all my bras and tanks (dd nurses), all her pacifiers and bottles....(thrush)....anything and everything we can think of.

But, dd shows signs this is systemic...red, weepy eyes etc...so am wondering if we will have to di more than topical treatments....do they give diflucan to babies?

Best of luck to you :)

o_mom
12-02-2008, 09:55 PM
dd shows signs this is systemic...red, weepy eyes etc...so am wondering if we will have to di more than topical treatments....do they give diflucan to babies?

Yes! But make sure they give the proper dosing. Look at the package insert and it will tell you the treatment for oral thrush, which I think is 2 weeks, not the one week that many peds will prescribe. Also make sure to get 2 weeks of treatment for yourself as well from your family doctor or OB.

C99
12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I'll say the B word.... bleach. Add a little to a hot wash.

We're talking chlorine bleach here, not Oxyclean or the like?

JBaxter
12-15-2008, 07:33 PM
We're talking chlorine bleach here, not Oxyclean or the like?

Yes good ol' clorox