PDA

View Full Version : WDW On-site Suites?

Piglet
11-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I am just starting the research, but am getting SO confused! I am hoping to find a suite (2 bedroom ideally), that is on-site, but not necessarily Disney owned. I checked the Disney suites and there are some decent options, but I would like to compare my options. Are there any hotels that I should be looking into? Also, are there any Disney forums I should be reading other than this one?

Fairy
11-28-2008, 10:34 AM
We went in September, and after much research, we had a very hard time finding an on-property suite for a reasonable amount of money. The cheapest we found were in the $400 range; most were closer to $800. That was for the cheap zone of the year. It was really frustrating. As an alternative, we looked into two adjoining rooms at one of the more inexpensive hotels on property, but that option had its drawbacks for us, as well. It's doable, but for us at that time, we couldn't find a match for us.

Ultimately, we ended up staying at the Marriott Grande Vista hotel for free on points. It was an excellent option for us, because we did plan on going to a non-WDW park for one of our days, we had a rental car that was free on points, and we totally did not mind the driving factor. If you mind the driving factor, then this is not for you. But for us, we were fine. I liked the Grande Vista quite a bit. It's a timeshare condo/hotel, and if you want a ridiculously good deal, you coudl go for a very small price if you sit thru their spiel, which is not hard sell and really is the best in teh business as far as not jacking you around. Just a thought.

If you end up with an on-prop suite, please post back and let us know what you went with; I'm interested to know.

egoldber
11-28-2008, 10:45 AM
We are DVC members (Disney Vacation Club, Disney's timeshare). We have stayed at many of the DVC hotels, which are typically the ones with the suites. Our favorite is the Boardwalk Villas or Beach Club Villas because of the location. We have stayed at or toured most of the other locations also.

Generally, more affordable WDW suites options are at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs. Both are lovely hotels although a bit less conveniently located than some which is why the price differential is there.

However, we really couldn't afford to stay there if we were not DVC members. Another suites option is to stay at Ft. Wilderness cabins. They are a bit more rustic, but much more affordable.

Also, I would definitely consider adjoining rooms at a Value or Moderate resort. We stayed at Pop Century a few weeks ago and my kids LOVED it there, much more than Boardwalk Villas where we stayed the rest of our stay. We had adjoining rooms with our ILs and it was very nice. The kids went to sleep and we could hang out in the adult room. :)

Also, there are Family Suites at one of the All Star (a value level) resort. I've never stayed there, but I have hear good things about it.

I do think it's worth it to stay onsite for the transportation options as well as for the early entry days that are for hotel guests only.

Momof3Labs
11-28-2008, 10:46 AM
On-site suites are ridiculously expensive, especially if you want a 2 bedroom. All the on-site hotels are Disney owned, except the Swan and Dolphin (which also offers ridiculously expensive suites). Off-site, you'll find some good options that are pretty close to WDW. Have you looked into the cabins at Fort Wilderness or the Family Suites at the All-Stars resorts? They are more like a 1 BR but are more reasonably priced. Your other option is to go with 2 connecting rooms (and hope that your request for the connection is granted - they could be across or down the hall) at an onsite hotel.

A third option is to rent a condo, townhome or house nearby. I've heard great things about this option, and it can be VERY affordable, even compared to the off-site hotels.

egoldber
11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Another way to rent a suite at a WDW hotel is to "rent points" from a DVC member who is not going to be able to use their points for a trip before they expire. This can be an excellent value.

If you go to disboards.com and check out the DVC forums, you can read all about it. :)

Here's the direct link:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29