PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about Probiotics?

elektra
11-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I took DD to the ped this week for a follow up on her rash problem. The dr. prescribed some more cream for her and she also suggested I buy some probiotics for DD. Maxi Baby was the brand, and I picked some up at the natural foods store near my house.
I know nothing about this though. Any thoughts? It's supposed to build up your immune system?

Oh also, it's a powder and it was refrigerated at the store, but when I got it home I spaced out and didn't put it in the fridge right away and it sat out for maybe 4 hours.
On the label it says "Best if refrigerated" but I was wondering how strict that is.
Anyone know?

Tondi G
11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
yeah the refrigeration is important to keep them alive! Hopefully they will still be ok. In the future try to go straight home and put them right in the fridge!

I have bought 3 different brands and been happy with all of them Jarro, Udo's Choice and Metagenics.

It helps balance the flora in your intestinal tract. Some believe it helps with the immune system since things are balanced! It can't hurt!

lizajane
11-28-2008, 03:24 PM
probiotics help maintain the good bacteria in your system. they are particularly helpful with yeast problems and loose stool problems. you can sprinkle the powder onto food or into a bottle/sippy or if you are breastfeeding, you can expressed a few drops of milk and then put the powder directly onto YOU for her to suck off.

m448
11-28-2008, 03:31 PM
probiotics are definitely a good thing for all the reasons liza mentioned including boosting your immune health overall. My eczema prone child is what had me research so the boys get 2 tsp of cod liver oil with 1 opened capsule of Jarro dophilus and 1 drop of D Drops vitamin D liquid mixed together in a little shot glass measuring cup each morning along with their nutristar multivitamin. If I skip a few days the eczema prone one will begin the super harsh nighttime scratching that draws blood on his legs and then it takes about 2 weeks for the CLO mix to start to work again.

hellbennt
11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Probiotics, brands used:
http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8970&PN=1

brittone2
11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
we're big fans. We use Jarrow or Udo most of the time. The refrigerated types tend to be better in terms of quality and quantity of beneficial bacteria as compared to the shelf-stable variety.

The other thing to consider is that with older kids, you probably lose a lot of the benefits and effectiveness if the child eats a very sugary or a diet consisting of a lot of refined carbs. Just something to consider if you are shelling out the $ for probiotics.

There is a lot of good research coming out about the benefits of probiotics. (eta: if I remember correctly, there have been some studies showing a positive effect on eczema, for example).

CAM7
11-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I take the "Pearls" brand... supposed to be "digested" AFTER the stomach... there is a theory that the stomach acids kill off most/all probiotics before it reaches where it should.

crayonblue
11-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Carmen has had a raging case of C-diff (antiobiotic induced infection that causes constant mucus diarrhea) for 4 months. We have been giving her probiotics for a year now; I think the Baby Jarrow stuff.

We switched to Primadophilus Intensive when the C-diff started. Now we give her VSL#3 (super duper probiotics, a combo of 450 billion) and Saccharomyces Boulardii. We also give her 2 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar (with the "mother) to try to get her gut to a decent ph range so that the probiotics will work.

All that to say that although Carmen is an at-risk case for things like C-diff, taking probiotics (especially while on antibiotics) should be something everyone does, in my opinion. And doctors SHOULD encourage it. Good for your doctor for recommending it!

wreckgirl1
12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
We don't take supplements of probiotics, but both of my kids love Lifeway Kefir from the grocery store. It is similar in taste to yogurt but it is more liquid (the same consistency as the sugary drinkable yogurt they sell for kids now) and has more probiotics in it. My toddler hasn't gotten thrush with antibiotics since we started giving it to her. They sell it plain and in several flavors. We have replaced a lot of our yogurt purchases with kefir (though we still buy some plain yogurt for cooking and tsasiki). Trader Joe's also sells its own brand of kefir.

I don't know if it is cultured the old fashioned way or not, but it does have something like 8-10 different probiotics in it.

Cynthia