PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Organzing Christmas gifts is giving me a panic attack!!!

lizajane
11-29-2008, 02:43 PM
DH took the kids to the children's museum (rainy day) so i thought it was the perfect time to pull out all the christmas gifts from santa. but now i regret it! i am in a panic. how will i re-hide them! where on earth is the dinosaur sweater i got for schuyler from tjmaxx?? did i get way too much stuff? is schuyler going to freak out that he got batman stuff to balance out dylan's spiderman stuff even though schuyler isn't a batman fanatic like dylan is about spiderman? should i return the plate and bowl set to sears that costs $2.22 less at walmart? what will DH get for FIL and BIL? do Sis and BIL really just want a giftcard for home improvements? to where? how did i end up with so much for my mom and dad? should we give dylan the scooter since schuyler is getting a shuffle or wait until dylan's birthday? did i spend way way too much and suddenly january is going to come and send us to debtors prison? is my mom really going to pay for the bedspreads? or do i have to cover that cost? is DH GOING TO KILL ME????????

and how are yooooooooooou today???

g-mama
11-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Liza, you are a trip. And you sound exactly like me! I am the queen of anxiety and worry. Is it too early to go have a glass of wine? ;)

ellies mom
11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Big hugs. Slow down. Don't worry. It will work out fine.

I'm trying to get the house decorated. The husband was supposed to bring in the tree last night and help me set it up so DD1 and I could decorate it first thing this morning but he stayed up most the night playing Civilization so that isn't done and now he is sleeping in because he is tired. Must be nice to just sleep in whenever he wants. Anyhow, I've got all the furniture moved so there is room for the tree and I'm getting ready to set up my nativity scenes. Then it is just waiting on him. Oh and knitting. Lots and lots of knitting.

lizajane
11-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Big hugs. Slow down. Don't worry. It will work out fine.

I'm trying to get the house decorated. The husband was supposed to bring in the tree last night and help me set it up so DD1 and I could decorate it first thing this morning but he stayed up most the night playing Civilization so that isn't done and now he is sleeping in because he is tired. Must be nice to just sleep in whenever he wants. Anyhow, I've got all the furniture moved so there is room for the tree and I'm getting ready to set up my nativity scenes. Then it is just waiting on him. Oh and knitting. Lots and lots of knitting.

i am learning to knit on thursday! i can't wait. i think it will be therapeutic. ;)

firstbaby
11-29-2008, 04:11 PM
okay, it is going to be okay. I seriously sat down and wrote out what each boy was getting, and from who besides us (if I knew). That gave me some perspective on if we had too much, if I felt like it was a good balance between toys that they would love versus interests we want to feed, etc. It also adds up really quickly once I remembered that there were aunts, uncles and grandparents buying for them besides us. They are getting from us one present from us, one present from Santa, one thing to share and their stockings. But, I know they will be on overload once all is said and done. And, well, there were a couple of things I had forgotten about buying :)

I wouldn't worry about saving $2 to get the lower priced deal if it was a purchase you already made. Your time and gas to go to the store to purchase and return said item would go well beyond that $2 :)

I also just picked up knitting two weeks ago. It is fun, but I can say a little stressful. It takes A LOT of time to see any progress at first. And making a mistake and then fixing it can be stressful. But, once you are in a grove with it, it is kind of nice and quiet :)

GOOD LUCK!

ellies mom
11-29-2008, 04:24 PM
I also just picked up knitting two weeks ago. It is fun, but I can say a little stressful. It takes A LOT of time to see any progress at first. And making a mistake and then fixing it can be stressful. But, once you are in a grove with it, it is kind of nice and quiet :)

GOOD LUCK!
My advice to the both of you is to start with dishclothes/washclothes. They are way quicker to knit than scarves so less boring. They are made of super cheap yarn so no guilt if you feel like tossing one. They are functional even if they are ugly. They can be as simple or as complicated as you like and they can be any size. Just cast on a bunch, knit, purl or any combination until you get bored and then cast off. There are ton a free patterns if you want or you can just do what you want. And if a dishcloth seems overwhelming, make smaller squares and call them coasters or make small rectangles sew them up and call them drink cozies.

MontrealMum
11-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Liza, I think that someone needs to talk you down. You are too worked up about this...it will be fine, really. I used to always panic too, and then noticed that it usually worked out anyways. I think that 1st you need to make a list, and then you need to pour yourself a big glass of wine...or two :54: You're probably more stressed because you're one of those early-bargain-shopper-planner types (which I am too, so I totally understand that). Just think of what you're already gotten done - it sounds great :)

lizajane
11-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Liza, I think that someone needs to talk you down. You are too worked up about this...it will be fine, really. I used to always panic too, and then noticed that it usually worked out anyways. I think that 1st you need to make a list, and then you need to pour yourself a big glass of wine...or two :54: You're probably more stressed because you're one of those early-bargain-shopper-planner types (which I am too, so I totally understand that). Just think of what you're already gotten done - it sounds great :)

thanks for a chuckle. i think i need to be talked down most days! lol!! i got it all put back away and spent the rest of the day sewing. too bad i only had 1/4 of a glass of wine left in the fridge... ;)

lisams
11-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I haven't done a single ounce of Christmas shopping, so yeah, I'm starting to panic!!!

lizajane
11-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I haven't done a single ounce of Christmas shopping, so yeah, I'm starting to panic!!!

as i have been saying all along... i am only so organized (i mean, having it done... i had to organize it today!) because my DH is going to India for his brother's wedding and comes back ON christmas eve at 10am. with "other side of the world" jet lag... so looks like another year of mrs clause running the show...