PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take your dc to get comfortable in daycare?

Tammy
11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
My dd is 2 and just started daycare (2 days/wk) last week. She did good, didn't cry when I left and was excited to go, but she didn't eat all day. No drinking either. Just wondering your experiences...

emilys_mom
11-30-2008, 12:01 AM
It kind of depends on the kid. Mine were fairly quick to adapt but were much younger, however, my nephew was 3 and he took a little longer (up and down over the course of a couple of months). That being said, even my kids have their "on" and "off" weeks where they go from barely saying bye to clinging to my leg. I bet she gets better each day as she starts to fall into a routine. The good thing is if she isn't crying and is excited to go she's comfortable, but maybe just not on schedule yet. Best of luck!

MontrealMum
11-30-2008, 12:18 AM
DS started daycare this summer at just over 12 months old. It took him about a month to really "integrate". The directress and teachers all told us that that 4-6 weeks was the norm - I don't know it that's for that particular age group, or for all kids. One of the bonuses is that he is now open to trying new foods...he may still not eat them regularly, but at least you can get him to open his mouth the one time. More often than not he does like it. The downside is that he went from regulary taking 3 naps a day to only one for certain; as that's what their schedule is there. He does sometimes take 2-3, but I never know which days those are going to be which is a bit frustrating.

My DS also took a while to eat at the daycare - hang in there, it gets better :)