PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Christmas/Holiday song? (burning a CD)

Corie
11-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I am trying to burn a CD with Christmas/Holiday music.

Here is what I have so far:

Baby, it's cold outside- Zooey Deschanel
Silent Night- Sinead O'Connor
Hot Chocolate- Tom Hanks (Polar Express movie)
Holiday Road- Lindsay Buckingham
Christmas Vacation- Mavis Staples
Mele Kalikimaka- Bing Crosby
song from Polar Express - Josh Groban?
Santa Baby- Eartha Kitt

Any suggestions???

bubbaray
11-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, Marshmallow World.

thomma
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Some of my favorites:

Amy Grant- O Come All Ye Faithful
Bare Naked Ladies & Sarah Maclachlan- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Josh Groban- O Holy Night
Celine Dion- O Holy Night
Sting- I Saw Three Ships
Natalie Merchant- Children Go Where I Send Thee

have fun!

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

M&Mmom
11-30-2008, 12:03 PM
just re-discovered the hilarious The Marvelous Toy by Peter, Paul & Mary.

shawnandangel
11-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Nat King Cole - "The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
and also Carol of the Bells

bluestarfish18
11-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Nat King Cole's "Frosty the Snowman"...the one with the chipmunks in the background

Fairy
11-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer?

jd11365
11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Dominick the Donkey!

Gena
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I love "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." It cracks me up every time I hear it.

MontrealMum
11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
White Christmas, Bing Crosby
The Gifts They Gave, Harry Belafonte
The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy, also HB

carols: In the Bleak Midwinter, Stille Nacht, Children Go Where I Send You!, I saw Three Ships, Noel c'est l'amour, Twelve Days of Christmas ---I can't recommend particular sources, but if it were me, I'd prefer to have these from a professional choir or reputable amateur choir.

I heard my first Xmas music on Fri. while shopping at the Gap --- guess it's time to break out my CDs!

elliput
11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I love this song!

Sleigh Ride- Boston Pops (http://www.imeem.com/cfbookchick/music/0d_oT2JQ/arthur_fiedler_the_boston_pops_sleigh_ride/)

pb&j
11-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Mariah Carey - All I want for christmas is you

Sufjan Stevens - It's Christmas! Let's Be Glad!

Joni Mitchell - River

Corie
11-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Joni Mitchell - River

I just saw this song on my Ally McBeal Christmas Soundtrack
except it was sung by Robert Downey Jr.
Then, I saw it on the Sarah McLachlan Christmas CD today
at Best Buy.

I'm adding it to my list. Now, which artist? :)

pb&j
11-30-2008, 06:23 PM
at Best Buy.

James Taylor had a version on his holiday CD last year, and the Indigo Girls have a version on some old live CD that I still have hanging around. Just to make your choice more difficult!

ellies mom
11-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you so much for asking this. I don't have a lot of Christmas music right now and I wanted to make a good play list of it but was feeling overwhelmed. Now I have lots of song to consider.

I don't have anything to add but I did find a certain wonderfully funny train wreck quality to the Barenaked Ladies "Oh Holy Night".

Please keep the suggestions coming.

heidiann
11-30-2008, 06:46 PM
merry christmas baby--- bruce springsteen

shilo
11-30-2008, 06:47 PM
at Best Buy.

i adore that sarah mac xmas cd... it's fabulous and stays in my car CD player more than any other during december. river is great, as are her versions of the first noel and in a bleak midwinter.

another one to 'pick' thru on itunes is jewel of all things (i don't own any of her other cd's, just the xmas album). she actually did a pretty decent xmas album many years ago.

as far as other classics to go on your cd, what about a nice version of ave maria and handel's hallelujah chorus?

the only 'radio' song of the season that i can think of that i don't see on your list is the david bowie/bing crosby drummer boy/peace on earth duet. i love that one whenever i hear it.

enjoy your album!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
David Bowie and Bing Crosby, Little Drummer Boy.

octmom
11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
David Bowie and Bing Crosby, Little Drummer Boy.

I :heartbeat: that version!

clc053103
11-30-2008, 07:49 PM
I know I should be ashamed that this is my favorite Christmas song.....

Last Christmas by George Michael

bnme
11-30-2008, 07:49 PM
-Where are you Christmas from the Grinch movie - Faith Hill
-Whitney Houston's Do you Hear what I Hear
-So this is Christmas - John Lennon
-The First Noel - Johnny Mathis
-Carol of the Bells - Harry Connick version

ETA: How could I forget Do They Know its Christmas - Band Aid

billysmommy
11-30-2008, 09:35 PM
We Three Kings ~ Bare Naked Ladies & Sarah Maclachlan

MelissaTC
11-30-2008, 09:48 PM
We Three Kings/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Sarah McLachlan and the Barenaked Ladies
Baby Please Come Home- U2
Oh Holy Night- Josh Groban
O Come All Ye Faithful - Luther Vandross

supercalifragilous
11-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Great songs listed here already!

How about adding:

It's Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by U2
Santa Claus by Harry Connick Jr.

Harry Connick Jr & Sarah McLachlan's Christmas albums never leave my player all December.

crayonblue
12-01-2008, 10:29 AM
O Holy Night- Josh Groban

Gives me chills everytime I hear it!

heatherlynn
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
O Holy Night - I think it's the one by Vanessa Williams, believe it or not!

tylersmama
12-01-2008, 11:07 AM
What about Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer? :p Only half kidding on that one...

I love the entire Amy Grant Christmas album (Tennessee Christmas is one of my favorites), Christmas with John Denver and the Muppets, and the Barenaked Ladies holiday album. Also, the Peanuts Christmas special soundtrack, and we have a Billboard TV Classics cd that has all the songs from the Christmas specials we always watched growing up (Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, the original Grinch song with Boris Karloff, etc).

hellokitty
12-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I can't think of any particular songs off hand, but two of my favorite Christmas albums are Mariah Carey's and Harry Connick Jr's. Lots of good stuff.

fortato
12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Mary's Boy Child- Boney M.
I LOVE this version of it...but I also love the Harry Belafonte version too.

And, I'm with Jamie- Dominick the Donkey.

Emmas Mom
12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) by Amy Grant
Christmas Canon by Trans-Siberian Orchestra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGrhzCgy_bg

Bean606
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Most of my favorites have already been posted, but I will add the following:

Anything on the Louis Armstrong "Christmas in New Orleans" CD
The song that goes "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" by the Waitresses. I don't remember the title of the song, but it is about the girl running to the store for cranberry sauce on Xmas Eve - very cute.
Any version of "Winter Wonderland"
And my favorite for a chuckle - "I'm gettin' nothin' for Xmas" - this song has brought on a whole new meaning now that I have a child.
"I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" - Mitch Miller
Mitch Miller is what I grew up with, so I am partial to anything by him, even though it is so dated!

rlu
12-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Adding another O Holy Night, this time by Martina McBride

Also, Amy Grant's Breath of Heaven is my current all time favorite hear sample here http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Collection-Amy-Grant/dp/B001EC6JPI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228157840&sr=8-1

I like the Sting song from A Very Special Christmas album (when it was an album!) called Gabriel's Message. I actually like quite a few songs from this album including Stevie Nick's Silent Night, Eurythmics (Annie Lennox) Winter Wonderland and Whitney's Do You Hear reminds me why I liked her back in the 80s. IIRC the second Very Special Christmas had the U2 version of Please Come Home for Christmas.

Thirding (I think) the Bing Crosby/David Bowie Drummer Boy

Willing to admit I like the Muppets version of 12 Days of Christmas for the simple silliness and happiness of it.

This morning I found myself trying to remember which station is now all-Christmas music. Need to research...

eta: The Chipmunks Christmas song - of course!!

elektra
12-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Little Drummer Boy Duet- David Bowie and Bing Crosby
Christmas Time - The Pretenders.

mama2g03
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Lots of great suggestions here! Some I had forgotten and will have to look for. For me it is not Christmas without a little George Winston from the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

Emmas Mom
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
ETA: How could I forget Do They Know its Christmas - Band Aid

I was just thinking of that one!! Love it!!

maestramommy
12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
For some reason I really love "White Christmas" sung by Michael Bolton. Amy Grant's Breath of Heaven is a fav, and anything off Charlie Brown's Christmas. I also love "Mary did you know?" But not the Clay Aiken version (too whiny). If you can find the recording by Glad or some other male ensemble, it's much better.

lubdubdeb
12-04-2008, 10:49 PM
One more sleep till Christmas from the Muppet Christmas Carol

WitMom
12-04-2008, 11:56 PM
If you like folk/country (I don't see any of this genre listed- maybe I'm the only one?), I just got an awesome new Christmas CD. Every song on it is a winner, but none of them are the "traditional" Christmas songs. Not a "Jingle Bells" or a "Silent Night" in the bunch. Anyway, it's Mary Chapin Carpenter's Christmas CD. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but she only has one Christmas album that I know of. It's awesome, and a great way to change things up and add some variety.

Corie
12-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I just heard this song again-

"Heat Miser/Cold Miser"

Good memories...

mdb78
12-14-2008, 01:06 PM
"All I want for Christmas is you" - Mariah Carey

"O Holy Night" - Nsync's acappella version

"Have yourself a Merry little Christmas" - Judy Garland... There's another version of a guy singing it. I always think it's Bing Crosby singing it, but not sure if its actually him...

The Chipmunks Christmas song

noodle
12-14-2008, 02:22 PM
The song that goes "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" by the Waitresses. I don't remember the title of the song, but it is about the girl running to the store for cranberry sauce on Xmas Eve - very cute.
Any version of "Winter Wonderland"

Christmas Wrapping! Love this song!

Asianmommy
12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I love Silent Night, Carol of the Bells, & The Christmas Song.

DietCokeLover
12-14-2008, 10:21 PM
O Holy NIght by Josh Groban
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams
instrumentals by Kenny G

fauve01
12-15-2008, 01:10 AM
oh this is a great post. i have tons of Christmas music!!

I want a Hippopotamus for christmas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7xjjlUbpJ4

Do you Hear what i Hear--whitney houston and Linda Eder versions
God Rest Ye Merry gentlemen--BNL & Sarah MacG
Christmas Song--Nat King Cole
Senor Santa Claus & C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S --by jim Reeves
Grinch song
heat and snow miser songs
George Winston --"Joy" from December album
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas--judy garland
Jingle Bell Rock--Bobby helms
feliz Navidad--Jose' Feliciano
Ave Maria--AAron neville
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer--Gene Autry (also up on the housetop, and Here comes santa Claus)
Tennessee christmas--Alabama
Little Town--Amy grant (also "emmanuel")
Happy Holidays --bing crosby (from Holiday Inn movie)

John Denver and Muppets--esp "12 days of xmas" and 'We wish you a merry xmas"

Jeanne Cotter Many snows Album https://www.jeannecotter.com/catalog/body_prodsnow.html

Danny Wright--just wright for christmas
http://www.amazon.com/Just-Wright-Christmas-Danny/dp/B0000011Z5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1229317025&sr=8-1

anne

Corie
11-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm bumping this up for more suggestions.

Any thoughts?

Kyras mom
11-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Simply having a wonderful Christmas time song- Paul McCartney
The "Charlie Brown Music" (lots of piano). The real title is escaping me at this moment.

fauve01
11-25-2009, 11:50 PM
oops double post

spanannie
11-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I am trying to burn a CD with Christmas/Holiday music.

Here is what I have so far:

Baby, it's cold outside- Zooey Deschanel
Silent Night- Sinead O'Connor
Hot Chocolate- Tom Hanks (Polar Express movie)
Holiday Road- Lindsay Buckingham
Christmas Vacation- Mavis Staples
song from Polar Express - Josh Groban?
Santa Baby- Eartha Kitt

Any suggestions???

You're from TX, Corie . . . where is Robert Earl Keen's Merry Christmas from the Family?! Not the classiest song, but definitely one of my favorites!

Also not on your list, must have O Holy Night. There are so many fabulous versions out there. I also love the Barenaked Ladies/Sarah McLachlan version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

Corie
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
You're from TX, Corie . . . where is Robert Earl Keen's Merry Christmas from the Family?! Not the classiest song, but definitely one of my favorites!

How could I miss that??? Robert Earl Keen is my husband's favorite. :)

Puddy73
11-26-2009, 12:08 AM
If you want something funny try "Santa Claus Got Stuck in My Chimney" by Ella Fitzgerald.

fattytuna
11-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born

billysmommy
11-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I love the Ray Conniff singers album "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". It's mostly medleys of all the Christmas songs. My mom & dad listened to it when we were little and my brothers and I love it

Corie
11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
I love the Ray Conniff singers album "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". It's mostly medleys of all the Christmas songs. My mom & dad listened to it when we were little and my brothers and I love it

Can't wait to listen to it!!!! :)

lizzywednesday
11-26-2009, 09:50 AM
White Christmas, Bing Crosby
The Gifts They Gave, Harry Belafonte
The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy, also HB

carols: In the Bleak Midwinter, Stille Nacht, Children Go Where I Send You!, I saw Three Ships, Noel c'est l'amour, Twelve Days of Christmas ---I can't recommend particular sources, but if it were me, I'd prefer to have these from a professional choir or reputable amateur choir.

I heard my first Xmas music on Fri. while shopping at the Gap --- guess it's time to break out my CDs!

My (elite high school) choir sang ItBM as one of our standards. I think the recording we used to listen to was by American Boychoir, but I can't remember exactly and, sadly, there's nobody to ask.

We also used to have our "concert chorus" sing 12 days of Christmas ... I still remember the rages our director threw to get us to sing "four calling birds" clearly - and so that it DIDN'T sound like "four whores calling birds" (no joke; this was one of his favorite mondegreens to mock.)

There may be a recording of our ensemble lurking out in cyberspace somewhere ... I can ask some of my fellow alumni about that. No guarantees.

My other favorite choir is the King's College (Cambridge) Choir ... our h.s. women's ensemble used to model their sound for our Christmas concert. I especially love their recording of Benjamin Britten's 'A Ceremony of Carols'

TwinFoxes
11-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm surprised one of my all-time favorites isn't listed!! "I'll Be Home for Christmas". Take your pick of about 1000 versions, from Bing Crosby to Jordin Sparks to everything in between.

One other one that I love is "Thanks for Christmas" by the 80s group XTC. They recorded it under the name The Three Wise Men.

I'm not a Mariah Carey fan, but "All I Want for Christmas" is one of the best new (not a remake) Christmas songs released in a long time.

Corie
11-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Great suggestions!!! Thanks so much!!!