PDA

View Full Version : South Beach Diet recipe concoctions to share?

SASM
11-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Not really sure where to put this... x-post in MommyFit forum

I just started SBD on Friday. So far so good. I have the teal book and the SuperCharged book. Just curious if anyone has any other recipes to share that work within the diet's Phase 1 & 2 plans.

Thanks for sharing.

I'll share one that I *think* fits...

MUSHROOM SOUP

1T EVOO
2 large onions, chopped
~5 cloves garlic, chopped
Saute above for a little while

Any combination of mushrooms work but this is what I used this time around:
1 pkg sliced ****ake
1 pkg sliced baby bellas
1 pkg button bellas
1 large portobello, stemmed, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
~1/4c vermouth or dry white to deglaze pan
~1 T dried rosemary, rubbed/crushed
~1t ground or dried thyme leaves
~1t no salt steak seasoning (mine is from Costco)
6 turns of peppermill
You can also use some salt but I try to cook without for DH
Add above and saute for a few minutes.

Add 1qt beef of chicken stock and simmer for a little while. I like to add some blanched julienned tomatoes and grated parm to my serving bowls but I am not sure if that is allowed. The wine is taboo but I am hoping that b/c the alcohol is cooked off it should be okay. It is just enough to deglaze. I also hope that the onion amount (a lot of sugar in onions) is okay b/c it really adds a lot of flavor. If the kids are eating it, I love to add some croutons to the top (especially Wegmans Zesty Italian) and then sprinkle the grated parm on top.

fivi2
11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
There is a site - I believe called low carb friends (or similar) that has a huge message board. on it there are threads where people add recipes to fit the various diet plans. I know there are a ton of Atkins recipes. I can't promise there are South Beach, but I think there are.

npace19147
12-01-2008, 12:14 AM
3fatchicks.com has a lot of great info and recipes. DH and I are in Phase 2 which is a lot easier. I really like the newer cookbook with the yellow cover, something like South Beach Quick and Easy 30 minute recipes. We really liked a lot of the fish dishes especially.

Another good site is kalynskitchen.com - a lot of good SB friendly recipes.

The only way phase 1 worked for us was for me to write out a meal plan and make sure we had everything in the house. Otherwise it would have been too easy to go off plan.

It did work though - I lost 5 lbs in the first two weeks. I haven't lost more since, but I have kept them off! GL!

brittone2
12-03-2008, 04:11 PM
another vote for lowcarbfriends :)

I don't do SB, but just eat generally LC for my PCOS.

One site I like is:
http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

It is low carb but not really SB. You may be able to sub low fat dairy products, etc. since that's more consistent with SBD. What I do like is that the young woman who blogs on that site uses whole-foods based ingredients and recipes :thumbsup: