PDA

View Full Version : Online higher education programs?

SASM
11-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I am just starting to research online/distance learning universities in the hopes of changing fields and getting a degree from home (DH's schedule does not allow for the occasional trip into the local college/university). I am wondering if anyone has any positive experiences with ACTUAL universities and their online programs. I do not mean to offend but I am NOT interested in Stayer, ITT, or any of those other diploma programs. I am mainly interested in healthcare but am not ruling out other fields. :)

TIA!!

kijip
11-30-2008, 01:44 PM
I've taken some online classes here through the local college, in addition to my regular classwork. There is at least 1 4 year public university in my state (Washington State University) that offers degrees online. I would look for schools that are public, accredited and established.

I am unclear as to what sort of healthcare degree could be earned online-only though. All of them tend to have a sizable lab component as well as practicum experience. The hands on stuff does not translate to online only classes. I could only see it as continuing, advanced education for people already in their field. Online seems more suited to reading and writing based learning.

Clarity
11-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Definitely check with your closest college or university. I work in higher ed and while my U doesn't have a large distance ed program...the push to start offering such programming is strong. If you can't find an online degree program at a U near you, check out Western Govenor's University...LSU offers online coursework. I peaked at your location and there's a Virginia College Online that you might want to look into. I've had students coming from Western Govenors and LSU coming through my office. Columbus State Community College has a few Associate Degree programs in the health care field. There staff is always professional and I know they go to bat for their students. (I don't work at CSCC so that's not a push for enrollment...just what I've noticed in my dealings with them.)

MelissaTC
11-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I am glad you mentioned Western Governors. I was interested in a program they have that my sister is currently enrolled in but she lives in NY.

octmom
11-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Here is a program at Virginia Tech that may interest you: http://www.vto.vt.edu/progdesc.php?id=mhp

I have no personal experience with this program. Just googled a bit for you.

ETA: ODU has some programs too: http://dl.odu.edu/database.php?todo=program&opt=6

Clarity
11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Sharyn, are you looking for BS/BA programs? Or grad level? The VTO is a Master's level.

ha98ed14
11-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Columbus State Community College has a few Associate Degree programs in the health care field. There staff is always professional and I know they go to bat for their students. (I don't work at CSCC so that's not a push for enrollment...just what I've noticed in my dealings with them.)

My mom teaches there, just not in the health care. Small world :)

SASM
12-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I am unclear as to what sort of healthcare degree could be earned online-only though. All of them tend to have a sizable lab component as well as practicum experience. The hands on stuff does not translate to online only classes. I could only see it as continuing, advanced education for people already in their field. Online seems more suited to reading and writing based learning.
I know...that is my past experience as well. Just checking into my options.

SASM
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
...check out Western Govenor's University...LSU offers online coursework. I peaked at your location and there's a Virginia College Online that you might want to look into...Columbus State Community College has a few Associate Degree programs in the health care field. There staff is always professional and I know they go to bat for their students. (I don't work at CSCC so that's not a push for enrollment...just what I've noticed in my dealings with them.)
Thank you so much, Clarity! :)

SASM
12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Sharyn, are you looking for BS/BA programs? Or grad level? The VTO is a Master's level.
BS/BN :) TY.

amldaley
01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
After some years trailing DH around in the USMC, I earned a BS in Behavioral & Social Sciences from Univ. of Maryland Univ. College. They were one of the first fully accredited online degree programs. Feel free to ask me anything!

Boston University has a program, too.