PDA

View Full Version : Bakers: Salted v. Unsalted Butter?

JMS
11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm making cookies and the recipe calls for butter (who knew? :) ). It doesn't specify between salted and unsalted. Does it matter? TIA!

bubbaray
11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, Martha Stewart says always use unsalted butter. However, I rarely do -- I just use regular salted butter and omit salt from the recipe.

I would use whatever you have on hand. I've never had it matter for cookies (nor other baking for that matter).

GL!

egoldber
11-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Unless a recipe specifically calls for salted butter, it means unsalted.

It's all I have ever used though, so I don't even know what salted butter tastes like!

kijip
11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Unsalted is what is used in baking unless otherwise specified.

JMS
11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
THANKS EVERYONE! Luckily unsalted is what I have :)

bubbaray
11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I just wanted to add that if you use salted, its not going to cause the recipe to fail. Using unsalted butter means that you can control the salt by adding what the recipe calls for, instead of guessing re the saltiness of the salted butter. But, like I said above, I've used salted butter in baking for years and never had a problem. I just omit or reduce the salt I add.

sarahsthreads
11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
I just wanted to add that if you use salted, its not going to cause the recipe to fail. Using unsalted butter means that you can control the salt by adding what the recipe calls for, instead of guessing re the saltiness of the salted butter. But, like I said above, I've used salted butter in baking for years and never had a problem. I just omit or reduce the salt I add.
:yeahthat:
When we've accidentally bought salted butter instead of plain I haven't noticed any difference in taste by just omitting the added salt.

Sarah :)

MommyAllison
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM
We almost always have salted butter (that's all Costco sells ;) ) and I never omit the salt and have never had a recipe turn out too salty (and I am pretty sensitive to saltiness). If Costco would sell unsalted I would happily switch, though.

urquie
11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
unless a recipe specifically calls for unsalted butter, i use salted butter... which i keep in my cupboard or freezer :D

i've never adjusted the salt levels in a recipe, but maybe i should!

mommabear
11-30-2008, 09:26 PM
We almost always have salted butter (that's all Costco sells ;) ) and I never omit the salt and have never had a recipe turn out too salty (and I am pretty sensitive to saltiness). If Costco would sell unsalted I would happily switch, though.
We do the same here and never had any problems.

brittone2
11-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I almost always use unsalted. I keep the salted stuff (we get both...we get our salted from a local group of Mennonites) for other cooking (savory stuff).

pastrygirl
12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't even buy salted butter anymore. I just salt my buttered toast or savory food if I want it salted. I have a culinary background in pastry, so I can't even bring myself to use salted butter when baking. It goes against my nature, just like baking a Duncan Hines cake or making pudding from a box! ;)

ETA: Many baking recipe books have a disclaimer in the front that states to always use unsalted butter. When I type up a recipe, I always say unsalted butter.

nupe
12-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Unsalted.

PS I have bought unsalted butter quarters from Costco. I think htey ahve unsalted butter not in quarters too.