PDA

View Full Version : First doll for 3yo DD

mshen
11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm a bad mother. I still haven't bought DD any dolls yet. well, granny wants to get her one for Christmas and she was eyeing some expensive $150 one. I searched here and saw recommendations for Corelle Calin and the likes, which are MUCH cheaper. Why are some so much more? Are the Corelle ones too young for DD? what should I ask Granny to get?

TIA
________
BUY EASY VAPE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

brittone2
11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Anything in the $150 range is likely going to be too precious for a 3 year old to play with, IMO (unless you have loads of disposable income and don't mind replacing the doll). There are tons of lovely dolls that are excellent quality and not too young at all for a 3 year old.

I personally prefer the phthalate-free dolls (phthalates are hormone disrupting and soluble in saliva. Many dolls contain phthalates. THey are being phased out but retailers are still allowed to sell their existing stock right now).

Some beautiful, phthalate-free dolls are:
Kathe Kruse (expensive, but lovely, and made in Europe vs. China)
Gotz (can often be found marked down at Tuesday Morning, and I recently saw some at Marshalls. They have dolls that are bald, dolls with hair, dolls that look older and are close to the American Girl style, newborn looking dolls, etc.)
Corolle (ditto the above...lots of styles).
Karito Kids but those are geared toward older girls...probably a minimum of 5-6 years old, kind of like the American Girl dolls are geared toward that age group
Waldorf (cloth) dolls (Hyenacart, Etsy, and the Waldorf toy sites like threesisterstoys, thewoodenwagon, etc. usually carry these)

The American Girl bitty babies get good reviews here for 3 year olds, but they are not phthalate-free, or at least they weren't in recent years. How much that bothers you, YMMV.

A 3 year old will probably still have trouble dealing w/ keeping hair reasonably nice. If you are going to fork out big $ for a doll with hair, IMO it is important to realize that the hair may not look that nice for very long, kwim?

I would keep it under $100 for sure, and you could likely find a nice doll by Corolle or Gotz for under $50 for sure. If Grandma really wants to shell out the $, perhaps have her pick up a doll stroller, doll high chair, a doll diaper bag, doll sling, or doll cradle with the balance of the $$.

mshen
11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the excellent advice. I will forward to Granny.
________
Vermont medical marijuana dispensary (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

kayte
11-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Ditto everything Beth said.

DD who will be three in January has a Corolle Calin and Gotz Muffin. Both have no hair which I think is a plus for that age-a point that Beth makes.

DD loves them both.

Kidsurplus often has deals on the Calins (we didn't get ours there because we didn't need a caucasian one) and the Gotz came from Tuesday Morning (they often have a wide selection).

I don't know how crafty you (or Grandma) are but DD is getting Louise for her 3rd birthday from me from this pattern:

http://www.weewonderfuls.com/wee_wonderfuls/store/put-together-5.html

I can't afford a premade Waldorf doll, but I got a good deal on some organic cotton linen and wool so I am making Louise instead a of a true waldorf.

And I agree that if Grandma wants to spend more money go with accessories! We have the HABA baby stroller and it gets used everyday (though lately more as a shopping cart than a stroller). It's what I had grandma buy DD last year for Christmas.

egoldber
11-30-2008, 09:54 PM
I do agree that hair can be a pain, but both my kids prefer dolls with hair, so I dunno. We have a Bitty Twin and her hair is easily kept neat by either leaving it in pigtails or brushing it wish a wire doll hair brush once a week or so. I think a doll with shorter, high quality hair will be fine.

greatcanuk
12-01-2008, 06:48 AM
It's true that the hair on more expensive high quality dolls looks and stays nicer longer. Big difference.

Camille

brittone2
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I do agree that hair can be a pain, but both my kids prefer dolls with hair, so I dunno. We have a Bitty Twin and her hair is easily kept neat by either leaving it in pigtails or brushing it wish a wire doll hair brush once a week or so. I think a doll with shorter, high quality hair will be fine.

DD is getting her first doll with hair for her 2nd bday. I'm sure it will be mangled within a few weeks. She is a Gotz and at least comes with a brush. We'll see!!!

egoldber
12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Amy plays with Bitty Twin all the time and her hair is just not a problem. If it's one of the 18" dolls with longer hair, it might be an issue.

Sarah is getting Samantha for Hanukkah, so we'll see on the longer hair. I was pleased that she wanted Kit for her birthday. Kit's cute little bob is soooo easy to take care of. ;)

ETA: We also have a 14" Corolle toddler doll with longer hair and it isnn't a problem either. It does get tangled, but the doll hairbrush takes care of it.