PDA

View Full Version : bathing in real tub -- what do i need?

ahrimie
12-01-2008, 03:36 AM
my 6.5 month old just started crawling and being really interactive and responsive.. and during bath time, she no longer wants to just lay on the sling type bed we have her bath tub. so i thinks it's time to upgrade to a regular bath tub so she can sit up and splash around without getting our carpet and clothes wet! :P

i'm just worried about her slipping in the tub on accident or slipping from my hands when i was her bottom... kneeling at the tub (achy knees and back).

what bath supplies/toys do you have/recommend? and what do you NOT recommend?

always thankful :)

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-01-2008, 03:41 AM
What about a bath in the kitchen sink if you're worried about safety. I did it for both my dc until they were big enough to really sit up well on their own. You don't need much. Maybe just a washcloth the soap and your measuring cups for them to play with.

Good luck.

ahrimie
12-01-2008, 03:46 AM
What about a bath in the kitchen sink if you're worried about safety. I did it for both my dc until they were big enough to really sit up well on their own. You don't need much. Maybe just a washcloth the soap and your measuring cups for them to play with.

Good luck.

hmm... how long did you use the sink for? i think she's too big for it.. and she wants to splash in the water. though, standing at the sink would be a lot easier for me :P

kijip
12-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Unless you have a tiny sink, I think that is plenty of room for most 6 month olds to splash a little. Way more comfy for mama too!

As for a regular tub, until my son was not so wriggly and could sit VERY, VERY well, I felt best about getting into the tub with him (or my husband getting into the tub with him) over kneeling next to the regular tub, aching knees and back, trying to hold up a slippery wet infant not fully able to hold himself up. I only started not getting in with him once he was old enough that I could sit next to the tub watching him, rather than leaning up against it holding him.

mommylamb
12-01-2008, 05:34 AM
That was about the age that I started bathing DS in a real tub. I just put a towel down in the tub so that he could sit on it. It prevented him from slipping. He enjoyed it so much more than his baby tub and sling.

AngelaS
12-01-2008, 07:42 AM
With my first child, I bought one of the snug tub inflatable tubs that sits inside the regular tub and she used that until she was about 2.

With the others, I just threw down the no slip bathmat thing in the bottom of the tub, put in about 3 or 4 inches of water and stayed close so I could grab anybody that tipped over or tried to swim. :) My little two honestly loved bathtime more than my first. They don't care if they get water in their eyes, either. A lot has to do on your reaction--if you laugh vs. if you gasp in horror. :)

hillview
12-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I used a real tub at that age. I get a stool to sit on so not on knees and only fill it up about 6 inches so that there is enough to splash around in but not so much that they lose their balance easily. I always have all the towels at the ready. Sometimes I got in with DS #1 and had DH take him when bath was over -- they get slippery! Now at 15 months DS knows the no standing in tub rule.
/hillary

pastrygirl
12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
My son was HUGE, so he was too heavy for me to hold when I first had to move him to the big tub. I used the Summer Infant Mother's Touch Large Comfort Bather (http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Mothers-Comfort-Bather/dp/B000B90G9K/ref=sr_1_78?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1228139773&sr=1-78). It's like a mesh bouncy seat for the bath tub. When he outgrew that, I used a Snug Tub, because I wanted to keep him a little more contained. I really liked having the Snug Tub because we could easily travel with it.

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2008, 10:02 AM
We use the FP Aquarium tub sold at Target. I like that it only takes a little water, and they have a nice place to hold onto. Each side is reclined for different stages, so you can have them sit up when they can or be slightly reclined when it is appropriate, like for rinsing hair, etc.

almostmom
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
We used the inflatable tub, placed inside the larger tub, that you can at BRU. It is cheap, and worked great! The baby can sit up and hold onto the sides for stability. They are surrounded by soft blown up stuff, so they can't hurt themselves if they slip.

scrooks
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I agree with everyone else. The inflatable tub at BRU was great. My DD is now 16 months old and we are thinking of switching to a bath mat in the regular tub. We've used it from 6 months until now and has worked great. I think its only around $12 or something so not too expensive either!

ahrimie
12-01-2008, 01:38 PM
is the snug tub the same thing as the inflatable tub?

Bean606
12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
We used the inflatable tub inside the big tub until DS was about 9 months, and it got a hole and wouldn't stay inflated. Then, I used a suggestion from these Boards and put a rectangular laundry basket inside the tub so that he was more confined/less likely to slip and could reach his toys. I did that until he was about 18 months or so.

maestramommy
12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
We have this long cushy bath mat that covers most of the bottom of our tub, It's great for when kids start pulling up in the bathtub. I think if they're already sitting up well and crawling, it's fine to bathe them in the real tub. I get grossed out at the thought of bathing our kids in the kitchen sink. I'd have to scrub out the sink beforehand every time. :loveeyes:

jerigirl
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
When you are ready to use a "no slip" tub mat, I found the best one to be this one from BB&B. I tried one from Target and some other one and they didn't stay suctioned to the bottom of the tub. The one from BB&B stays where you put it and really is "no slip". Don't forget to use your coupon!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12390491&RN=13

ahrimie
12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
We have this long cushy bath mat that covers most of the bottom of our tub, It's great for when kids start pulling up in the bathtub. I think if they're already sitting up well and crawling, it's fine to bathe them in the real tub. I get grossed out at the thought of bathing our kids in the kitchen sink. I'd have to scrub out the sink beforehand every time. :loveeyes:

well, that also requires an EMPTY sink! and that's just not always possible :P

missym
12-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I found it easier just to get in the tub with the girls. With DD2, we never even used the infant tub. If you're breastfeeding, your kiddo can get in some quality nursing time while you bathe her.

Clarity
12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I found it easier just to get in the tub with the girls. With DD2, we never even used the infant tub. If you're breastfeeding, your kiddo can get in some quality nursing time while you bathe her.
:yeahthat: And this way, all you need is soap, washcloth and a towel.

DrSally
12-02-2008, 12:03 AM
We liked the snugtub for that age.

updacountry
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
My DD is very small. At 3yrs she is 23# so we use the inflatable tub still. It also saves a lot of water as you don't have to fill the whole big tub. I just fill the inflatable one almost to the top. She likes to lay down and let her feet hang over so I can pour warm water on her. On the weekends we use the big tub which has turned into a BIG TREAT! Who would have thought that I could use the No Big Tub threat if she acts up. I was hoping to find a bigger inflatable tub so we can continue to save water. Any suggestions???

cdlamis
12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
My favorite time with a baby that age is bath time- with me in the tub too. Not sure if you are up for it or have tried it, but for me it's one of my favorite memories of my children at that age. Great way to end the day!

DrSally
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Updacountry, The snug tub delux is pretty big IMO