PDA

View Full Version : Automoblox Minis vs. regular vs. Valtech trucks

ssjarrett
12-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I am thinking about asking for some Automoblox for my DSs (ages 20 months and 4 1/2 years) from the grandparents. Do you think it would be better in terms of play value to have 2 regular size ones or 6 minis? (I am not too worried about the choking hazard at this point.)

Or do you think these would be better?
http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Tiles-98127-Working-Trucks/dp/B000JFA1KA

(We are getting a set of magnatiles for Christmas.)

I haven't seen any of these in person, so I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with these!

Thanks!
-Sarah

hillview
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I think they are choking hazards and while cool they don't get a lot of play here. We have both. If you really wanted them I'd get the larger ones. Personally I think the money is better spent elsewhere but YMMV -- interested to see what others say.
/hillary

jacksmomtobe
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I would go with the Automoblox minis. My DS who is 4 1/2 just got them as a gift and really enjoyed mixing and matching. His sister who is almost 2 1/2 played with them as well. Though they are small but it really depends on your younger child. My DD does not put things in her mouth so she was ok with it. I love the regular magnatiles. My son got some last Christmas and is really getting interested in them now. We'll probably get him another set this Christmas so he has more tiles to build with. I looked at the trucks but they just didn't seem to have the same appeal. I feel that he is more creative with just the tiles. The trucks reminded me of so many other truck toys we've received that haven't held his interest as much. Though the autoblox are a similiar concept for some reason the fact that they are wood and not plastic made them seem different.

o_mom
12-01-2008, 01:42 PM
We have the minis and they are played with quite a bit (well, until we lost one of the tires, that I think is behind the fridge). The large ones are a choking hazard as well, so I don't think there is any difference there.

firsttimemama
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
i just saw the minis on landofnod 13 & free ship

ljackson
12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
i just saw the minis on landofnod 13 & free ship

They are $13 each whereas I think I have seen them at less than $30 for three at other places.

1964pandora
12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
We have all three sets. The only ones I am happy we got are the large Automoblox. I don't think that the mini Automoblox are nearly as good quality as the large Automoblox, plus they are definitely a choking hazard. The only thing that is a choking hazard about the large Automoblox are the people that come with them. As long as you take the people away, there's no choking hazard at all with the larger ones. I don't like the magnatiles cars because small magnets with small kids freak me out. Very dangerous to swallow a magnet.

Susan

ETA: I have to agree with Hillview that your money would be spent better elsewhere. Even though I said that I like the large Automoblox the best of those three choices, I wouldn't buy them again. We had all of the large Automoblox cars and I actually threw them all away because the part of the car that the wheel snaps on got bent and crushed and the wheels wouldn't even go on anymore. (They were too banged up to sell or give away.) That's a lot of money down the drain.

o_mom
12-01-2008, 04:10 PM
We have all three sets. The only ones I am happy we got are the large Automoblox. I don't think that the mini Automoblox are nearly as good quality as the large Automoblox, plus they are definitely a choking hazard. The only thing that is a choking hazard about the large Automoblox are the people that come with them. As long as you take the people away, there's no choking hazard at all with the larger ones. I don't like the magnatiles cars because small magnets with small kids freak me out. Very dangerous to swallow a magnet.

Susan

The tires are also a choking hazard on the large ones. Also, swallowing a magnet is not dangerous.... swallowing TWO magnets... that is dangerous. ;)

1964pandora
12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
The tires are also a choking hazard on the large ones. Also, swallowing a magnet is not dangerous.... swallowing TWO magnets... that is dangerous. ;)

According to Automoblox, the only thing that consitutes a choking hazard about the large Automoblox are the people. They debated selling the people separately so that large Automoblox wouldn't have to have a label for 3 and over. I do have to agree with you, though, that since the plastic part comes off the big wheels that wouldn't be nice to swallow.

Susan

ssjarrett
12-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the opinions! I may try to see some of these things in person before I pick one (or go with something else). I will definitely look into that magna-car set at Lakeshore too!