PDA

View Full Version : DS doesn't ask "why"- should I be worried?

LarsMal
12-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I hadn't thought much of it. It's not like he never asks why, he's just not one of those kids who asks a question and then follows it up with a million "why" questions.

I was talking to a friend of mine- her DS is 2 weeks older than mine- and she asked me if my DS was into "why". I told her no, not really, and she seemed shocked.

I'm not worried, but should I be? He's a very bright little boy, on target with all his milestones/development. Is "why" that important to a 3yo development?!

kedss
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
nak
my ds does it now at almost 5, i'm not sure when he started, but he was a late talker anyway. also it could be that we over explain things sometimes? I don't know that i would worry about it.

deannanb
12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I think your son is just very smart and gets it - he doesn't need to ask why! =)

(I don't remember my son asking why much)

s_gosney
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
From my position as a mommy of a dd who is the queen of "why", I would just thank your lucky stars. ;)
Seriously though, I wouldn't worry. It's possible that he's more of an internal processor or a million other reasons I'm sure. Or maybe he's just saving them up for later. :)

brittone2
12-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I remember my parents joking about how that phase would drive me nuts, and I was like..."oh, DS doesn't do that yet!" I swear, two weeks later it was ALL he was doing LOL! I think it was somewhere around 3, maybe a little later.

I'll bet he gets around to it eventually, and oh how they never stop once they start :wink2:

kransden
12-01-2008, 11:47 PM
My dd never did very much of that either, and I am happy!

bubbaray
12-01-2008, 11:49 PM
From my position as a mommy of a dd who is the queen of "why", I would just thank your lucky stars. ;)

:yeahthat:

I wouldn't worry.

KpbS
12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
I bet it is right around the corner. :)

Gena
12-02-2008, 12:37 AM
As long as your son is asking other questions to gain information I wouldn't worry.

My son is 4.5 and has never asked why. He also has never asked "what's that?", "where is ____?" or any other questions to gain information. The only questions he asks are those he already knows the answer to (for example he will say to me, "What shape is a stop sign? A stop sign is an octagon. Yes."). We are working with DS's speech therapist to try to teach him to ask questions for information, but it's a very difficult task.