PDA

View Full Version : decent food toys other than M+D to fill play market?

nicknack
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
So I think we're going for the M+D grocery store for Maeve for xmas this year. We have some play food down with our kitchen, but I'd like to fill the bins with some food. I'm looking at the M+D stuff, but I'm not sure I can spend that much. I saw some not so great looking one at Target today for like $10, so I guess I'm looking for an inbetween option price-wise?

We have more actual food stuff already, I'm more looking for pantry goods, boxes of food, etc...

Ideas?

Tammy
12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I've seen several people here recommend the Learning Resources food. It's expensive on Amazon, but I got dd some at a Tuesday Morning store for $20!

brittone2
12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd go with fewer items and better quality. I've had M&D and it didn't really chip for us, but I ditched it with the MIC issues last year. We had Target playfood gifted to us about 2 years ago and all of the sets had waaay more chipping than the M&D. If you want M&D, the way to go is to use 40% off coupons at Michaels or AC Moore in your area if you can. (not all of their stores sell toys/playfood, but many do).

For non MIC, Erzi, Novanaturals, wool felt food from etsy, etc. are nice options. We have some adorable ice cream cones from thechenillechef on etsy.

eta: don't underestimate the idea of filling out the market with real boxes from your own pantry (empty mac and cheese box, empty pasta box, empty small juice or smoothie bottle, etc.). Also, I definitely recommend the less is more approach in general. DS played great with the amount of playfood he got, and then one holiday season we got bombarded with playfood, and it really detracted from his play. We donated a bunch and he went back to playing nicely with what he had. Too much just results in overwhelm and too much to keep organized/sort through, IME.

Crayons
12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I bought all of DCs playfood online at Kidsurplus.com. They have a bunch of different brands at good prices.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
M&D cutting food was on sale for $11.99 with FS, a few days ago. Haba is good, too. Not cheap, but you buy the food individually for $3ish per piece. Gummylump.com is where I buy play food.

HTH!

MacMacMoo
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Ceck to see if you have a Schoolbox or ABC school supply stire near you. Our SchoolBox had a HUGE section of food toys

firstbaby
12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Plan Toys has a set (I think it is fruit and veggies) that we got through FAO last year. We had a coupon code so it was $18 minus some percentage. The food is really bright in color and cute IMHO. It was a good amount of food, bigger than HABA and didn't overwhelm them (like Beth mentioned, less is usually more here LOL.

nicknack
12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks everyone! I think we will do less is more and I'll just bring up some stuff from the basement, tell them that Santa went down there or something!

Um, but WHY did I go and look at all the Haba food? I had seen them before, but now that I'm on the hunt, I want ALL of it!!! It's so darn cute!

brittone2
12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone! I think we will do less is more and I'll just bring up some stuff from the basement, tell them that Santa went down there or something!

Um, but WHY did I go and look at all the Haba food? I had seen them before, but now that I'm on the hunt, I want ALL of it!!! It's so darn cute!

Haba is cute and very, very well made. But....it is very small. Some of the pieces are choking hazard small, so just know that in advance. I am okay with my kids having it out now, but I put away DS's Haba food for a while when DD was really young.

nicknack
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Haba is cute and very, very well made. But....it is very small. Some of the pieces are choking hazard small, so just know that in advance. I am okay with my kids having it out now, but I put away DS's Haba food for a while when DD was really young.

Thanks, I did see that on the site in the reviews and I remember seeing that here too. Maeve will be 3 in March and really doesn't put much in her mouth anymore, but maybe I'll just order a few things that seem bigger or something...if I go that route.