PDA

View Full Version : What do you give your sitter/nanny for the holidays?

HIU8
12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a sitter/nanny 15 hours a week, who takes care of DD and DS while I work upstairs. She has been with us since the first week of September. She is Seventh Day Adventist I believe (her Sabbat is Saturday). I have not asked her, but I am assuming she celebrates Christmas? I'm almost ashamed to ask, because truly I do not know much about all the different religions (forms/sects of Christianity).

What would be an appropriate gift to get her? I'm having issues figuring this out because there are things clouding it, like she is consistently 10 minutes late every time she comes and she claims to not be able to smell poopy diapers (yeah...right), so right now I'm not extremely happy with her and I'm considering looking around again. However, I should probably get her something, but what?

Melaine
12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Not all Adventists celebrate Christmas. Most Adventists recognize the pagan origin of Christmas, but a portion celebrate it anyway believing that it is a great time of year to witness. As far as the local churches go, it depends on the individual church.

That's just from wikipedia. I think I would look for another sitter if I were you. The very least you can expect from one is consistently changing diapers and showing up on time, IMHO!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I used to be a professional nanny, and she sounds like a sitter. Sitters don't get the same types of gifts. I got extravagant gifts, but I was a professional.

For a sitter, I think a gift of $30-$50ish is plenty. Especially for someone who sounds a bit immature. A GC is good, for a bookstore maybe. Or a local store you know she likes. Just get a generic Season's Greetings card, if you aren't sure what she celebrates.

HTH!!!

Laurel
12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
We usually give a cash bonus equivalent to one week's worth of pay. I can't think of anyone I would want to feel more valued by our family, KWIM?

However, that is for exceptional sitters, which it does not sound like you have. I'd give some sort of end-of-year cash bonus, though