PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much technology?

inmypjs
12-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I am struggling with what to get our 4 yo DS for Christmas... From Santa he's getting some books and blocks, and from us a set of Bob the Builder vehicles. I've been thinking about getting him a Leapster too and have been shopping for deals, but I'm struggling if this is too much technology at his age. We have a LeapPad and some books, and he likes that. Last year he rec'd a Leapfrog Clickstart computer from another relative. He likes that too but we don't play it a ton, because it requires more supervision and help from us, and his little sister likes to bang on it. So I guess I'm wondering if a LeapPad, Clickstart computer, and Leapster is overkill? Too much of the same thing?

BeachBum
12-03-2008, 05:11 PM
For us, yes.

How about playmobile? or mighty world?
Magnatiles? automoblox?
dress up clothes?
race track? geotracks?
plasma car? glider bike?

:)

brittone2
12-03-2008, 05:22 PM
For us, yes.

How about playmobile? or mighty world?
Magnatiles? automoblox?
dress up clothes?
race track? geotracks?
plasma car? glider bike?

:)

same here :duck: but only because you asked.

I think the concern would be does he play w/ the electronic stuff to the exclusion of more creative, open-ended, hands-on/fine motor type of play? If not, then maybe it is a good amount of electronic stuff for your family.

In addition to the great suggestions above, here are some other things my DS likes (he'll be almost 5 at Christmas)
books
Lego (or Duplo depending on the kid)
vehicles of all types
we're just starting off with Playmobil (he's getting a castle, a camper, and a gas station to go with all of his cars)
Books on CD (we love Greathall!)
unit blocks
marble maze
arts and crafts stuff, stationary, pens, markers, playdoh, Do a Dot markers, etc.

inmypjs
12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback! It feels like a lot of technology to me too, but it just seems to be everywhere, so I appreciate hearing that others are saying no. I am actually not at all concerned about his imaginative play. He has a couple of hours of quiet time every day where he plays and pretends in his room with all kinds of things. His ability to pretend just amazes me! But I'm still not sure I want to do the video game thing either... He does have some of the things that were suggested as alternatives, but not all, so I'm going to check those out. Again, thanks for sharing your opinions!