PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use bare minerals makeup?

HIU8
12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I have started using proactive skin care and love love love it so far. However, the makeup I use is not non-comedogenic. I use cover girl true blend. I was using Mary Kay, but lets face it, in this economy I have not been able to spend a ton of $$ on makeup when I need to make sure there is $$ for food and gas and bills. Plus, the Mary Kay stuff felt heavy on my face.

Now that I have started using proactive I can understand why the makeup should be non-comedogenic. I think I have to rethink the whole inexpensive makeup thing and get what works for my skin. How does bare minerals work? Is it worth it? Do you like it?

brittone2
12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Having tried both, I prefer Everyday Minerals to Bare Minerals, and it is cheaper :) :thumbsup: You can check the EWG site for makeup safety, where EM gets good safety ratings
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

IIRC, some of the Bare Minerals stuff contains nano sized particles, which some people have concerns about how they behave in the human body. DH is a scientist who works with nanoparticles, and I personally prefer to avoid them when I can (so many of their properties are poorly understood, yet they are already in tons of products). When I contacted EM a while back they said they do not use nano-sized particles.

Mineral makeup can be kind of messy which is the downside. The fine dust gets on my countertops, etc. I use a damp application (spritz my brush with some water first, then swirl into makeup) which helps a bit, but it is still messy.

Aromaleigh and Jane Iredale are two others that get good reviews that I know of.

eta: the other upside of mineral makeup is that many of the brands are paraben free (although many of the drugstore versions of mineral makeup still contain parabens)

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Where do you get the Everday Minerals? I have been in the market for some new makeup and was just about to buy some Bare Minerals. Cheaper and possibly safer/ healthier sounds good to me though!
Beth

lorinick
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I love Bare Minerals. I can't live without it. I tried a mineral make up from Avon not the same. I've never tried the one metioned in pp. I've seen it Liza Gibbons ad. it. A friend tried it and said she likes the Bare Minerals better. So I'm not even going to bother. It's so light and feels good on. It covers well and the best thing it's easy and takes no to at all to apply.

lorinick
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Oh to let you know the Bare Minerals goes a long way. It lasts me about four months or so.

brittone2
12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Where do you get the Everday Minerals? I have been in the market for some new makeup and was just about to buy some Bare Minerals. Cheaper and possibly safer/ healthier sounds good to me though!
Beth

From their website, and they offer great deals on sample kits, etc. (or at least they have in the past).

misshollygolightly
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Been using Bare Minerals for about a year now (so far, only eye makeup, blush, and a sort of face shimmer--saving up for the powder foundation stuff), and I LOVE it! A little goes a long way, so it lasts well. The brushes are great and easy to get the hang of. Haven't tried many of the other brands, but I'm happy w/ this so far!

brittone2
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I love Bare Minerals. I can't live without it. I tried a mineral make up from Avon not the same. I've never tried the one metioned in pp. I've seen it Liza Gibbons ad. it. A friend tried it and said she likes the Bare Minerals better. So I'm not even going to bother. It's so light and feels good on. It covers well and the best thing it's easy and takes no to at all to apply.

I might be misunderstanding, but the Liza Gibbons one is Sheer Cover, not Everyday Minerals. Just clarifying that they are different products. So many of the names sound alike LOL.

eta: I also agree that mineral makeup in general lasts a looooong time! One small eyeshadow or one container of foundation/makeup lasts me for a very long while!

trentsmom
12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I use Everyday Minerals, too. https://www.everydayminerals.com/index.php If you go to the site and click on "Community" and then "Specials," you'll find a code for 5% off of your order. And if you order a certain amount, you get some free things! :yay:I'm running low on make up, so DH is going to order some for me for Christmas. Well, I'll do the ordering, DH will do the wrapping! If you just want to check it out, you can order a free sample kit. You just have to pay for shipping.

heatherlynn
12-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I have some but I'm not crazy about it. It really doesn't seem to last long on my face (I swear I think I'm the only person who has this problem!). Plus, the radiance and blushes all seem to make my face itch and prickle. I use a pressed one from Neutrogena and I like that one more.

brittone2
12-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I have some but I'm not crazy about it. It really doesn't seem to last long on my face (I swear I think I'm the only person who has this problem!). Plus, the radiance and blushes all seem to make my face itch and prickle. I use a pressed one from Neutrogena and I like that one more.

I think bismuth is one of the ingredients that bothers people in some of the brands. THey don't all contain it though.

http://www.mineral-makeup-reviews.com/Bismuth-in-Mineral-Makeup.html

LarsMal
12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I have been using Everyday Minerals for about a year now and I absolutely love it (well, I use the foundation and concealer). I also tried J.Lynne, which I liked, and still use a couple of her brushes, but I couldn't find a foundation color that really worked for me. I went to EM b/c it only has four or five ingredients and I need as little as possible for my new reactive skin.

I started with the free sample kit and found the foundation I needed with those first three samples. The sample lasted me a couple months and then I ordered the big one and I think I've have that one for about 8 or 9 months- so it goes a long way! Their brushes are pretty reasonably priced, too.

I have never been a foundation wearer- never owned it before my Everyday Minerals. I always had Clinique concealer and a powder compact for cover-up. The EM is so incredibly light I don't even know I'm wearing it (and I use the intensive formula b/c I was having all those yucky rashes for so long and it really did a great job covering up the redness).

I was going to try Bare Minerals, but then read all the ingredients and just didn't want to go there. If your skin isn't as sensitive, though, it will probably be fine. I know people who can and do use it love it!

HIU8
12-03-2008, 04:58 PM
How do I figure out what color foundation to get and concealer etc...? It's hard to tell colors online I think.

LarsMal
12-03-2008, 05:01 PM
How do I figure out what color foundation to get and concealer etc...? It's hard to tell colors online I think.

Read the different descriptions. It does take some time to figure out which ones to even try.

I have pretty fair skin, but a very very slight olive undertone. I also have pink undertones, so I stuck with the cool colors. I read through them and ended up with the Multi-tasking one. I use the multi-tasking concealer, too, but I'm ordering another sample kit for the winter with foundations with a touch of color to see if that helps me not look so pale right now! I'm trying the Cool fair-medium and beige fairly-light.

What is your skin color/tone/undertones?

**This is for EM- sorry, if that's not what you're talking about! I saw this linked under an EM post!**

brittone2
12-03-2008, 05:02 PM
do you know what you wear in your current makeup? Someone familiar with both might have an idea. At the very least it would help narrow it down to more medium shades or lighter shades.

I'm a really hard to match person (yellowish undertones, medium but tan easily, but many regular foundations go orange on me, etc.) and I find mineral makeup in general to be quite a bit more forgiving than liquid foundation.

Everydayminerals has some pics on their site of different complexions and what the models are wearing, as well as forums. I wonder if that might help you narrow it down?

Melaine
12-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I love Bare Minerals, but have heard enough about Everyday Minerals to try it next time I run out. I do not want to go back to liquid foundation.....ever. And I used to be a Mary Kay rep! Mineral makeup is great....I just love it.

bluestarfish18
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I've been using Bare Minerals for two years and love love love it!

I had serious acne issues before, and since I've been using BM, I haven't had a single breakout since. I would never go back to using gross liquid makeup.

I think it's defiantely one of those love it or hate it products. Getting a kit is definately the way to save money and try new products within the line.

As to color choice, I would defianltey try it on in the store first. I thought I would be a medium, but ended up a light. All Sephora stores carry them, as well as the Sephoras inside of JC Penny, as well as the Bare Minerals stand alone stores.

hellokitty
12-03-2008, 06:11 PM
I have never tried bare minerals, but I tried another brand and then finally tried everyday minerals and I LOVE it! I think the price is very reasonable as well and their, "sample" pack is a very nice option for those who are not sure what they may like.

Oct. 04 mom
12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
If you're looking for less expensive makeup, but a step above drugstore brands, have you checked out Kohls? I'm using the American Beauty foundation. Supposedly this stuff is made by este lauder. While the makeup is a few dollars more than what is at the drugstore, at least you can try them on your skin before you buy.

dhano923
12-04-2008, 02:02 AM
I LOVE my Bare Minerals makeup! It looks great all day, and give me good coverage (covers up some discolorations I have on my face). I use just the foundation on a daily basis right now, but in the summer I also use the Mineral Veil. If I'm going out for dinner or to a party, I use the Bare Mineral Primer first, then foundation, then Mineral Veil. My face doesn't get shiny and looks freshly done up!

I also use their Rare Minerals treatment for blemishes and pimples. That stuff is awesome -- clears everything up!