PDA

View Full Version : Help me find some shelves for my Dad....

SammyeGail
12-03-2008, 04:34 PM
My mom recently passed away and she had 2 shelving units on each side of the TV. By A-hole 1/2 brother (different father who abandoned them) wants them now since she left them to him in her will. (these are cheap shelves they bought at Wal-Mart 20 years ago)

My dads wants dark cherry, backless (no bookshelves) about 6+ feet high, 3+ feet wide, enough depth for lots of pics.

I've looked online at target, Ikea, Walmart...I just don't know where to look. I don't want anything extremely expensive, I would go to our unfinished furniture store and stain them myself but it just closed.

Any help appreciated, I can't believe my brother, her funeral was just on 11/23. My dad raised him since he was 4, he's causing all sorts of drama.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but any leads deeply appreciated!!

Samantha

dazdance
12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Have you tried Craigslist? Do you have a Homegoods store near you? Those were my 2 first thoughts...

frgsnlzrds
12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
You might want to try Home Depot. They have the tracks that you put on the wall and the shelves that you hook onto them, and they come unfinished. I am sorry for your loss, and I hope you find something for your dad.

Mermanaid
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Can you use the bookshelves that you put together and just not nail on the cardboard backing?

blisstwins
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I don't have ideas for the bookshelves, but I wanted to say sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I know from experience that losing a parent is deeplly difficult and does not often bring out the best in people. I cannot make excuses for your brother, but for him losing your mom was a bit like being orphaned and on some level he may resent or be angry that you still have your dad--even if your dad has been good to him. My brother and I almost broke all ties in the wake of our father's death, but our lawyer told me to suspend judgement for 1 year and see whether or not things righted themselves. We just passed the one year mark and mostly--not totally, but mostly--they have. Hopefully your brother will be less of a jerk when he gets a handle on his grief. Again, so sorry for your loss.