PDA

View Full Version : Insights on working for the federal government?

egoldber
12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I have an interview next week with a federal agency. I've never worked for a government and am curious as to what folks who do see as upsides and downsides.

This would be a "project manager and technical manager" position at the GS 13 level.

niccig
12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
..once people are employed, nearly impossible to fire....which can be good for you, but it's means there's probably someone who's incompetent at their job and others have to pick up the slack. Very frustrating, especially when the person gets paid more than you do because of seniority.

Sillygirl
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
My mom, sister and BIL all work or have worked for the federal govenment. It is much more family friendly than most corporate places. They have daycares, flex time, telecommuting, etc. Also there is less of the mentality that you can't take advantage of those things without looking like a slacker. I guess it depends where you work - all of my family have found their colleagues by and large to be professional and dedicated. The benefits are great and they're all very happy with their jobs.

ThreeofUs
12-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I liked it, because I was working with a bunch of brilliant, motivated folks. Sure, there were some bad apples, but there are these everywhere.

I think the key ingredient to fitting in and doing well while doing your job is to talk. To everyone. Spend your time over the first year just talking to people. Get the history, understand the fault lines of politics, know who is going to back your ideas and who isn't. Sounds crazy, but given the extremely long-term nature of culture in federal agencies, you risk your efficacy if you don't.

Of course, you also have to do your job. :)

karolyp
12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
I am federally employed - and have been for about 8 years. I have flex-time, a great insurance plan, good pay, and very good benefits. I also am glad for the job security with our current economy. If there is anything specific I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

eta - the only downside is the red tape of the government, that and i have to travel (of which i loved to do pre kids, but now not so much).

Ceepa
12-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Think tenured professors: Some are really impressive and it's a pleasure to know them. But then there are a lot of unmotivated folks who really need to get booted but don't.

Ceepa
12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
..once people are employed, nearly impossible to fire....which can be good for you, but it's means there's probably someone who's incompetent at their job and others have to pick up the slack. Very frustrating, especially when the person gets paid more than you do because of seniority.

:yeahthat:

Cam&Clay
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
My ex works for the federal government in the DC area. He has the most vacation/sick time of anyone I know, excellent pay and benefits, flex-time, tele-commuting, and they pay for him to take the Metro. My DH has two years left in the Army and will most likely transition immediately to a similar position with one of the many three letter agencies in this area.

It's nice work if you can get it!

Susan
DS1 age 10 years
DS2 age 11 months

niccig
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Meetings and committees and more meetings and committees. People who work in private sector can be surprised about how many meetings to decide something and how long for some things to be implemented.

wellyes
12-03-2008, 11:47 PM
My parents both worked for the federal government for 30+ year. It's one of the few white-collar workplaces that is union, and it shows. Benefits are outstanding. I'd love a fed job.

LarsMal
12-03-2008, 11:56 PM
DH is about to give up his super nice salary for a fed gov't job- so I hope it's worth what we're giving up! He considers this his "dream" job! (less money, but still a good salary, actual vacation days, good benefits, matching the first 5%- I think- of 401K, pension).

I guess it depends on which agency you are working for. I can imagine that the environment varies from place to place. Hopefully you'll be getting into a good one!

GL!!

babystuffbuff
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I highly doubt I will ever leave Federal service. I've never worked in a more supportive environment. I know I probably just got extremely lucky, but our staff of 50+ people all work well together and there isn't a slacker in the bunch. I have excellent health insurance, 4 weeks paid leave per year (not including Federal holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year's, which I get off for 'free', i.e. it doesn't count against my leave time), and a flex plan. The 401(k) match is 6%. I live across the street from my office, but if I had to commute, they would either pay for me to take the Metro, or I would get free parking. I actually used to commute from Maryland, and I still have a parking space for my car - we'll park it there when we are out of town for Christmas since it's in a secure garage. As PPs have stated, the job security is second to none. And while I agree that the "once you're in, you're in" mentality opens the door for some bad folks to stick around forever, I haven't personally encountered anyone like that.

On a more personal note, I can honestly say that working here has been the greatest honor of my life. I feel I am making a difference every day with the work I do, and that's pretty cool. :)

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Dh has a federal job and we love it! For all the reasons everyone's listed and especially the security. We've got great benefits,flex time, there's a day care at dh's bldg if we ever need it. Free parking but when he was using public transportation they paid for it. His building is in a questionable neighborhood but since the d.o.d. has offices in the building we don't have to worry about security (armed marines at the gate). Only problem with that is no more stopping by in the afternoon for lunch which we used to do before they moved.

His pension/401k is a good deal. The union for the branch he works for doesn't cover managment, this is a bit of a sore point for us and I'll admit that it appears that union and mgmnt don't have the best relationship but then again when have you heard of that happening?

Yes the job security does let a few slackers in but at the level you'll be at you really shouldn't be effected by that much since it seems that those are mostly the people that stay in the lower rankings and don't get promoted.

Good luck at your interview. Hope you get the job.

Dh says- keep in mind that working a federal job will not make you rich. You're serving your country and that has value right there. If you don't believe in the mission of your agency then don't take the job.

amldaley
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I have never been GS, but most of my career has been Contract and NAF positions (NAF is non-appropriated funds....easier to hire, easier to fire but still Gov't employee but less benefits).

I am also a certified Federal Resume writer and have coached military personnel making the transition.

For the interview, be prepared to give anecdotes about what you have accomplished and HOW you did it.

At the 13 level, you are either expected to be a technical master in your feild or have solid managerial experience (depends on job). Be prepared to address that.

Dress conservatively. At the 13 level, you should be in a coordinated suit.

I love working for the Gov't....unfortunately there is a huge chance Obama's military budget cuts will tank the job I hope I am about to get.

Yes, there are incompetents entrenched in jobs they'll never be booted from - but there are many more wonderful people who are a pleasure to work with. The GS market is super competitive right now with the number of Vets applying for jobs...take this while you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Disabled vets get hiring preference as long as they are minimally qualified).

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

egoldber
12-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Dh says- keep in mind that working a federal job will not make you rich. You're serving your country and that has value right there. If you don't believe in the mission of your agency then don't take the job.

Good point, but right now DH has no job and so I am not as picky as I might be LOL! I've applied for a lot of federal jobs that I would have a bit of angst actually working in, but this agency would be one I would gladly work for. The commute would be a bit of a bear, but ya' know, that whole no income and no benefits thing is worse.....

For the interview, be prepared to give anecdotes about what you have accomplished and HOW you did it.

The KSAs addressed a lot of this, but of course I am anticipating more questions. :)

At the 13 level, you are either expected to be a technical master in your feild or have solid managerial experience (depends on job). Be prepared to address that.

I have a Masters degree in my field as well as several years work experience and also 4 years of management experience.

Dress conservatively. At the 13 level, you should be in a coordinated suit.

Skirt or pants? Pantyhose?

amldaley
12-04-2008, 10:39 AM
The KSAs addressed a lot of this, but of course I am anticipating more questions. :)

GOOD! That means you wrote your KSA's correctly!!!!! Yes, they may ask you some "Tell me about a time...." questions. You can mention what you included in KSA's, elaborate and tuck in a couple of other examples. Do not rely solely on what you wrote already.

I have a Masters degree in my field as well as several years work experience and also 4 years of management experience.

They know you have a Masters....it is on your resume. Talk about what you have done in the field, improvements, innovations, problem-solving etc. Quantify if you can (wrote over a zillion lines of code, supervised a team of ten etc) AND how well you did it (to succesful completion, with zero turn over, winning the XYZ award). It sounds like you are well qualified for the job! Now let them now why the want YOU over someone else!

Depends on agency and weather. And your comfort level. If a really conservative agency (the suit and ties, DoD and anything with enforcement or money) skirt and hose (I know...sexist, right?). Even with pants, wear hose or sheer trouser socks and dress shoes for a polished look. EPA, FDA etc? Maybe pants. Be careful wearing red...it is a power color and can mess with the interviewer. If there is any field work component and they may give you a tour, bring something appropriate for that....change of shoes or jacket whatever....doesn't sound like it from your description, though

Sorry for typos etc...dd is sick and sleep nursing on me!!!!

MamaMolly
12-04-2008, 10:40 AM

I'd personally go with a knee length skirt (not a mini) and hose. You may never wear hose on the job, but I would for the interview.

As for the bad apples comments, you'll find jerks and slackers in any job. DH has a federal job and our experience has been that your reputation can make or break you. When DH started his job they were VERY candid about the fact that you have to protect your 'corridor reputation' ~ what people say about you when discussing you in the hallway~ because it means even more than what gets written about you in your evaluations. And it isn't about being everybody's pal, either. It is about the job. DH has said things like Mr.X is an a$$hole but man does he get the job done.

Once you move above the promotions that come with time and you start competing for them your reputation is everything. Admittedly there have been a few occasions of 'f*ck up and move up' as DH puts it but often these people are moved into positions that are out of the way of the nitty gritty real work.

We have always had jobs in teaching, non-profits, military and law enforcement. For us, the pay and benefits (except dental!! Our dental stinks!!) for a federal job have been comfortable.

Good luck with everything!!

egoldber
12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
If a really conservative agency (the suit and ties, DoD and anything with enforcement or money) skirt and hose (I know...sexist, right?). Even with pants, wear hose or sheer trouser socks and dress shoes for a polished look. EPA, FDA etc? Maybe pants. Be careful wearing red...it is a power color and can mess with the interviewer. If there is any field work component and they may give you a tour, bring something appropriate for that....change of shoes or jacket whatever....doesn't sound like it from your description, though

LOL! It's not really a top secret or anything, I was just looking for general feedback.

The job is with the Census Bureau.

amldaley
12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
LOL! It's not really a top secret or anything, I was just looking for general feedback.

The job is with the Census Bureau.

lol....I wasn't asking...the ?????'s were my lazy way of typing "If it is with...."

Census is sort of middle of the road.....I'd wear a skirt, as Molly said, knee length. It needs to be a suit though, a matching suit (b/c it is GS13). If you are not a skirt person, and you really hate them and are more comfortable in pants, that's ok...)

Also. limit jewelry to one ring per hand, and if earrings and necklace, make sure earrings are small. Nothing that moves alot or is flashy.

egoldber
12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
If you are not a skirt person, and you really hate them and are more comfortable in pants, that's ok...)

LOL! I'm asking because I have exactly ONE suit (a charcoal gray pinstripe), but it has a skirt or pants option. It's modern but not flashy if that makes any sense.

And I only ever wear my wedding ring. I will have to search through my drawers for earrings because I can't remember the last time I wore any!

lowrioh
12-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my federal job. I think that the culture really depends on the Agency that you work for. We have great management who really invest in employee development and education. I have great vacation time, flex etc. You will have to get used to people bashing the government Agency you work for but you get used to it ;)

I agree with the PP about dress for the interview but in many federal jobs, there is no offical dress code. In fact, I'm a GS-14 and I NEVER wear a suit and often just wear cords and a t-shirt to work and no one bats an eye. In fact on the few days I dress professionally, my co-workers ask me why I'm so dressed up.

The biggest beef I have with working for Club Fed is that we get NO paid maternity leave. If you don't have annual and sick leave built up you are SOL or have to rely on donated leave from your co-workers.

Good Luck on your interview. I find that getting into the interview stage is the hardest part.

egoldber
12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
The biggest beef I have with working for Club Fed is that we get NO paid maternity leave. If you don't have annual and sick leave built up you are SOL or have to rely on donated leave from your co-workers.

Oh that does stink! :(

Fortunately though we are d-o-n-e! :wink2:

Sillygirl
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Hee, Census. My sister has a lot of friends there. Know any good math jokes? That will be a big hit. And their holiday gift swap is a geekdom of game theory, insanely competitive. They are a fun bunch, truly. I hope you get the job!

amldaley
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
LOL! I'm asking because I have exactly ONE suit (a charcoal gray pinstripe), but it has a skirt or pants option. It's modern but not flashy if that makes any sense.

And I only ever wear my wedding ring. I will have to search through my drawers for earrings because I can't remember the last time I wore any!

You don't have to wear earrings! But if you do, no danglies....though it doesn't sound you are a dangly earring kind of person :) The reason earrings are good is b/c they draw attention to your face. But soooo not a big deal.

Your suit sounds great! Perfect really. I would go with the skirt, as long as you are comfortable enough in it AND it is not crappy with rain or snow that day. If horrible weather, wear the pants...you will give a better interview if you are comfortable and not cold or mucky!

Also, make sure your shoes are in good condition....I know this sounds weird, but hiring authorities use different little random things to "screen out" candidates. I know one Fed hiring manager who screens candidates out who wear a nice suit with shoes that are scuffed badly or worn down heels etc. He said it showed lack of attention to fine details.

I think you will be fine.....knock 'em dead!!!!! Let us know how it goes!!!

MamaMolly
12-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Yeah, this stinks. We were lucky that DH had a ton of leave and was able to take it when DD was born. We have a good friend who was offered and took a Fed job just before having her 2nd and had no time off. DH donated 40 hours to her. He's my hero for it! Can't give a better baby gift than that!

And check that dental...I know each agency has their own benefits packages, but honestly ours is a joke. Not that it would e a deal breaker or anything, but it would be something you'd need to budget for.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

LarsMal
12-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah, this stinks. We were lucky that DH had a ton of leave and was able to take it when DD was born. We have a good friend who was offered and took a Fed job just before having her 2nd and had no time off. DH donated 40 hours to her. He's my hero for it! Can't give a better baby gift than that!

And check that dental...I know each agency has their own benefits packages, but honestly ours is a joke. Not that it would e a deal breaker or anything, but it would be something you'd need to budget for.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

Ooh...I'll have to tell DH to check out the dental- like you said, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us, but good to check into.

DH is also filling out the paperwork for- I don't know what it's called. Basically he can fill out a form that would allow his previous work experience to count toward vacation. So he could start day 1 with something like 10 days (I think). We are really hoping he gets that since he will only have a few by the time #3 is born.

the2bobs
12-04-2008, 06:14 PM
If you get offered the job, take it! I used to work for the Feds in DC and wish I hadn't left (to go to law school, big mistake) then worked as a contractor for DOI in Herndon. If you're in DC the environment is very laid back (was at Dept of Ed 10 yrs ago) and most people did very little but plan their next meal and nap. In Herndon, you were expected to work. Benefits are great, although I knew people at DOI that had no dental insur. Each Agency is different w/ the flex-time and environment, but overall it's a good deal.