PDA

View Full Version : Need help/ideas - 3 year old sleep issues

rds97
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Please give me some suggestions... I am at a loss.

DS, age 3, has always been a good sleeper. He is in a twin bed and has been for about 8 months and always falls to sleep on his own after our normal routine of bath, teeth, several books, prayers. He naps about 2 hours a day and then sleeps 8:30 - 7 normally.

But just the last few nights have been TERRIBLE. Now he is getting out of bed constantly. Nothing will make him stay in bed. I am at the end of my rope.

Any tips for keeping him in bed? We have tried "santa is watching"... we recently got a responsibility chart (the Target one)... we have tried bribery... nothing is working. Finally after putting him back in bed about 15 times, he will fall asleep around 10.

Help!!!

pinkmomagain
12-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, my 3 yo gave up naps maybe 6 months ago. If she took a 2hr nap during the day, she wouldn't be ready for bed until at least 10pm if not later. She gets up at about 7 am goes all day and gets to sleep by 9 pm. (Don't get me wrong, she hits cranky mode at about 5pm, but there is no way she would fall asleep in the afternoon for a nap.) So, my guess is maybe he is ready to shorten his nap time?

KpbS
12-04-2008, 12:24 AM
So, my guess is maybe he is ready to shorten his nap time?

This is my guess too. We had to give up the nap b/c it was postponing bedtime and while he was lying awake in there he was developing all of this new anxiety about going to sleep and staying in his bed, just one more hug, I forgot to tell you..., I can't find mr. stuffed animal.

We tried a sticker reward chart that worked somewhat. He earned a prize after 7 nights of not coming out.

GL I know it is hard.

rds97
12-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Ugh - I was really hoping to keep the nap around until at least age 4, but maybe that is not realistic. I just checked babycenter.com, and they say 3-year-olds need 10.5 - 12.5 hours of sleep. Maybe I will start by limiting the nap to 1 hr and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies! Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

niccig
12-04-2008, 02:03 AM
All the lights are on in DS's room. He says he's scared and wants me to rub his back. I do, but only for a few minutes. Then he has to stay in his bed for 10 minutes, and then I'll come in again. If he keeps getting up, the timer starts again for the 10 minutes. Often he's asleep in those first 10 minutes. If not, I do go in as I promised and rub his back for a few minutes longer. I only go in twice after we've said the good nights.

I too think it has something to do with length of nap. On pre-school days with shorter naps, it does seem to be easier.

kellij
12-04-2008, 02:35 AM
I agree with the nap advice. My 3-year-old hasn't had one in months. He'll usually sleep 12-13 hours at night though.

KrisM
12-04-2008, 03:01 AM
No naps since 2.5 for DS1 and just over 2 for DD. Even limiting might not help. If DS gets even 20 minutes, he's up until 9 or 10. DD can get 30 or so minutes in and still go to bed at a normal time.

DD was napping for 3 hours and I'd wake her up at that point (4pm) so she'd go to bed at night. Within a week, she wasn't napping at all!

Both my kids go to bed at 7:30. DS1 is 4.5 years and gets up about 6:30. DD is 2.5 years and gets up about 7:30 or 8. They get plenty of sleep, just no naps.

I'd try ditching the nap for afew days.