PDA

View Full Version : unbelievable!

theamazingtrace
12-04-2008, 05:43 AM
just returned from a trip, and on both flights, there were a lot of families traveling with young children (4 and under). On the way there, none of the kids/babies were screaming continually, but there would be whining/fussing here and there from various children. Someone (couldn't tell who) very loudly "shushed" a whining/fussing child, and maybe fifteen minutes later, someone (perhaps the same person?) yelled "SHUT UP!" to one of the children! On the way back, I was shocked at the number of grumpy passengers who were rude and clearly annoyed with the parents/children on the flight. i guess my perspective on fussing children has drastically changed since I'm now on the "other side"... i was just grateful that none of the children (mine or otherwise) had a major meltdown or screamed the entire flight! I remember the good ol days when i used to watch in-flight movies in their entirety...

maestramommy
12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Sadly, a lot more people are grumpy and on edge these days. And sometimes traveling with fussy children just grates on their last nerve. I hear you on being on the other side though. Before kids a crying baby on a plane used to make me so tense. Now I hardly hear it, but just feel sorry for the parents!

Twoboos
12-04-2008, 09:45 AM
The last time someone gave me the hairy eyeball on a flight when my daughter was screaming, I announced very loudly in that person's direction that if anyone had a better idea than what I was doing, please let me know. But other than that don't look at us.

As if any of the parents like having an unhappy kid on a plane. How can these people not know it's torturing us too, probably MORE? sheesh.

Flying with little kids is so hard. I've offered drinks and/or earplugs to those seated near us in the past. :)

JenaW
12-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Ugh. We are traveling with all FIVE of our kids (under the age of 6) in late January, and our first leg leaves at 6am! Luckily, my mom and dad are flying with us (we are going on a cruise together) so we can each take one child, plus I will have the baby. I am banking on the kids being excited about the vacation and praying for no major meltdowns! Coming home may be a different story. Guess I had better remember to keep some cash on hand to bribe the nearby passengers with drinks too :)

J

niccig
12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm worried about our red eye flight to Detroit the week before Christmas. It's just DS and I, as DH has to work an extra week. We've flown many times, and done red eyes, but the 3 of us take up an entire seating of 3 seats. This time, someone will be sitting next to us, and I'm expecting the evil look. I'm hoping that DS has an easy time of falling asleep, sometimes it's hit or miss.

Laurel
12-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Once when I was flying alone with DD, she and another baby were both melting down at the same time. A very rude man yelled at me and the other mother to "control our children". However, many other passengers immediately came to our defense and yelled at *him* to shut up.

I love that story. Sorry there were more grumpy than understanding passengers on your flight.

egoldber
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Flying with kids is so stressful. Sarah was always a good traveler and we would get compliments after the flight on her behavior. Amy, um, not so much. She HATES being confined, does not fall asleep easily on the plane, and still actively nurses and it's like nursing a wolverine so you can imagine how fun that is on an airplane! I generally apologize in advance to the people around us and say that she is not a good traveller. That way if she's loud they are prepared (and sometimes will trade to a different seat if there is room) and if she's not *that* loud, they are pleasantly surprised. ;)

Once we did get some nasty comments and I turned around said "Look, I'm doing the best I can. You are MORE than welcome to sit next to her and entertain her." That shut them up.

And it is soooo true that I just don't even hear other kids on airplanes anymore except to send sympathy vibes to their parents.

lisams
12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
That's so sad that people can't be a little understanding. Karma.

mommy111
12-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I can understand how a screaming child can be annoying....but mostly to the parent who can't control the child. If anything, a crying child should elicit sympathy for the parent and not annoyance.....and I really think yelling 'shut up' is waaaaay over the line

maestramommy
12-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I can understand how a screaming child can be annoying....but mostly to the parent who can't control the child. If anything, a crying child should elicit sympathy for the parent and not annoyance.....and I really think yelling 'shut up' is waaaaay over the line

Probably people who yell "shut up" don't have kids, or don't remember. Else they'd know how useless that is;)

DrSally
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah, we had a woman get really mad and said "come on!" with an angry face and loud tone of voice when DS was playing with an electronic pone toy. DH actually yelled back at her and I was just mortified. I mean she was rude, but DH doesn't have to start a brawl.