PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about chalkboards/chalk

MMMommy
12-05-2008, 11:50 AM
If you have some form of chalkboard (easel, chalkboard paint on your walls, an actual chalkboard) for your kids, do you have it in a carpeted room? If so, does the chalkboard dust get all over the carpet when the chalk is erased? We have light colored carpets in the bedrooms, and I was thinking of painting part of the wall with chalkboard paint so that they could draw on it. But I'm afraid that the dust would stain carpet. Thanks!

brittone2
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
You could possibly put down some kind of splat mat or those interlocking foam mats (I think Lauri makes some?) underneath it? Yes, the dust does fly a bit. Our easel has a large ledge so it isn't too bad. My problem is the kids will occasionally sit the chalk on the carpet or something (eek). Colored chalk is very difficult to get out of carpet and for me, hasn't easily been removed by steam cleaning.

For carpeted areas you could also just do white chalk. Maybe build some kind of ledge (a piece of molding) onto the "board" on your wall...that might block *some* of the dust from falling onto the floor.

CiderLogan
12-05-2008, 12:44 PM
It hasn't been a big problem for us (using an easel with a ledge), but, yeah, it might make a mess if it was a chalkboard wall. I'd put something down on the floor.