PDA

View Full Version : The paci is gone!!!!!!

LarsMal
12-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I am still in shock over the events of our day today! DH and I have been trying to get the paci away from DS (almost 3 1/2) for a very very very long time! We had gotten him to only at nap and bed, and even leaving it in his room, but then DD got really attached to hers, we were traveling a lot over the summer, etc, and we just gave in and let him have it more. I've really been trying to get back to only in his room.

Today we were out running errands and I left his paci at home- no need to take it. We were about 10 minutes from hom and he started whining that he wanted it. Completely obnoxious whining that wouldn't stop. DH and I told him it was home, he needed to get over it, we couldn't do anything about it. Then DH told him after Christmas we are mailing all of his pacis to new babies who need them (got it from one of our bye bye paci books).

After about a minute of silence DS said, "I don't want my paci, I want to mail it to the baby in Mommy's belly." We looked at each other and said to him, "Are you sure? If you mail it to the new baby you can't have it back." He insisted he wanted to mail it, he didn't need it anymore (literally 2 minutes before this he was whining for it).

We got home, he went around and got both of his pacifiers, put them in an envelope. I asked him what I should put on it and he told me "to the baby in Mommy's belly". So I did and then I asked him what I should do with it and he told me to put it IN my belly (for the baby) :hysterical: So funny! I happened to have a sweater on, so I had some extra room in there and shoved it down my shirt. He was very satisfied with that (still doesn't realize I took the envelope out) and went up to bed for a nap. DH was telling him how proud he was that he got rid of his paci and he is such a big boy and DS said, "Can you leave now, Daddy, so I can take my nap?" BWAHAHAHHA!!!

Went to bed tonight without it, too. All smiles, reminding us, "I don't have my paci!"

So crazy, but I'll take it!!!!! Phew!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
12-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Congratulations! I am so glad he took it so well! And it was all his idea which makes it even better. I am sure he will be talking about it for days or weeks to come. Whenever anything breaks, DD still tells us "it broke like my paci!" I am sure you are relieved it went so well! :cheerleader1:

carolinamama
12-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Glad it went so well. We also have an almost 3 1/2 yo with a paci addiction. Your story is giving me hope of getting that thing away from him in the next few weeks. He's down to only one that he likes and knows we will NOT buy anymore.

Tondi G
12-07-2008, 01:37 AM
YAY! Isn't it fantastic when things just "happen" and it's not a stressful event! Reminds me a lot of how my boys potty trained... out of the blue they decided they were done with diapers and voila... PTed! CONGRATS! WTG BIG GUY!

lmwbasye
12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Julie,

As someone who struggled with this myself with my older DS, I have to send my heartfelt congratulations!!! And how cute that he gave it to the baby. :)

At nearly 3 1/2, I finally had DS1 pack up his pacis and send them to Daddy who is in Iraq. I told him Daddy missed him and thought the pacis would help. DS took the bait and the rest is history. I even have his pic with the pacis at the post office. Ha ha!!

Congrats!!

elephantmeg
12-07-2008, 09:39 AM
sweet! Congrats!

shawnandangel
12-07-2008, 11:54 AM
What a great story, and it just shows what a wonderful giving heart your son has. You must be SO proud!

scoop22
12-07-2008, 12:04 PM
you must feel great... what a relief for everyone!

anamika
12-07-2008, 12:23 PM
That's fantastic!! That's almost exactly what happened with my DD. I thought it would have to be surgically removed from her mouth at some point in time :hysterical: but one day when she was a little over 2, I was telling her that the binky was bad for her teeth and she just declared she didn't need it anymore - that was it!
So yes, there's hope!

Melaine
12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
That is so sweet....what a good big brother! That will be a great story to tell the new LO one day too. I know you are relieved....I am very much dreading the dooms day for the pacis.

LarsMal
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
We had a minor meltdown today when he finally realized what he had done! We went to see some houses and he usually has his paci for long car trips. He got very upset when we told him we didn't have any- reminded him that he gave them to the baby- and he told me to get it back out!!! I hate lying to him and making up stories, but I told him the new baby already has it and is sucking on it right now, so he can't have it back. He asked me if the baby has both pacis in "her" mouth (like DD likes to do) :)

He bought it, though, and when we went to visit friends after looking at houses we told them the story. I asked DS where his pacis went and he came over, pointed to my belly, and said the new baby is sucking on them!!!

Wife_and_mommy
12-07-2008, 11:27 PM
That's awesome. We are so going to do this with DS. He wants to give things away to his younger friends so I think it will work.

DrSally
12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Congratulations!!! What a great story and no trauma!

clc053103
12-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Congratulations!!!!! I wish I could use this on my DS (3 1/2) but I think faking a pregnancy for this purpose would be a little twisted and sick! LOL!!

I am still working on leaving it for Santa....

lizajane
12-08-2008, 05:30 PM
i am in awe.

i offered my child a pony in exchange for his binky (ok, i was kidding, but he didn't know that) and he said he ONLY WANTS HIS BINKY.

LarsMal
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
i am in awe.

i offered my child a pony in exchange for his binky (ok, i was kidding, but he didn't know that) and he said he ONLY WANTS HIS BINKY.

LOL!! I think we were heading down that path, too!

He had a little trouble getting down for a nap today- I guess it's hard to break an addiction cold turkey!! I gave him a damp washcloth to chew on to help him fall asleep and it worked like a charm!

saschalicks
12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
OH G-d Julie I'm so stinkin' jealous! DS2 just turned 3 this weekend. We told him when he's 3 no more paci, however, we upped and moved this weekend too. I just don't have the gumption to deal w/that meltdown while in the middle of construction.

Melaine
12-08-2008, 11:00 PM
DH has been telling the girls that after they turned two it would be bye-bye to the pacies....well, they turned two a couple months ago and still sucking away. I'm just not ready for it....I told DH after Christmas when things are settled down maybe I'll be ready to face it. I shudder to think how it will go though....

MamaKath
12-08-2008, 11:17 PM
So crazy, but I'll take it!!!!! Phew!

Lol!!! Congrats on a paci free kid! Just wait until he wants to see it in the next ultrasound picture. ;)

Kid a babysat for decided he must have flushed it down the toilet while I was there and never needed it again. Luckily it only rolled under mommy's dresser or the plumber would have been needed. He was absolutely convinced though!!! :hysterical: