PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Advice- PLEASE

MoeJoe
12-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I will be a first time mom in a few months and we were looking into strollers, but I have absolutely not a clue where first to look! Can any of you ladies please give me advice on companies, a type of stroller or exactly what you'd recommend.

These are my requirements:

1- I walk 30 minutes to work on a paved (mostly) sidewalk.
2- the baby will be with me the whole day at work, so i think the back should go down all the way.
3- I want it to last at least two years, but not a necessity
4- I don't really want to spend more than $250, but I will think about it if the stroller is really amazing.
5- We will also be buying the Kolcraft infant carrier stroller frame (or the BabyTrend Snap N GO) for the car and travelling.

Thanks so much!

firsttimemama
12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
With your pricepoint I'd look into a 2007 Peg Perego P3
But it doesn't go completely 100% flat I don't think

I'd look into carriers - sling, wrap, ergo, beco, mei tai - since babe will be with you all day

Maybe if you can leave a small bassinet/pack n play at the office you could lose the "goes flat" requirement

MoeJoe
12-07-2008, 05:55 PM
The P3, though does not look so good for walking outdoors. Is it more durable then it looks, for bumps and pot holes?
I was actually thinking about bringing a pack and play to work to leave there, but I'd have to double check with my boss to see if it will be okay. I'd prefer though, not to have to. I'd prefer to have just one piece of baby clutter around the office. I don't want ppl to walk in and think they just stepped in a nursery!
The baby carrier idea, I am not so keen on. I work on the computer a lot and am sitting in a chair, so it is not like I am moving around too much anyway, at work. And my back and shoulders usually bother me w/o having extra weight on them....
Thanks for the ideas, firsttimemama!
Please, is there any other opinions out there??

bubbaray
12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
The P3 is flat enough for a newborn and nice and plush.

What about an MBUS? A bit more than your price point, but very very nice for a 30 minute walk. There aren't many strollers I would want to push for a 30 minute walk, but I would chose my MBUS for that in a heartbeat. Of the AT strollers, IME, the MBUS has the nicest recline for a newborn and you can also add the bassinette (and a car seat adapter, though I'm not big on those).

tarnator
12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I would look at getting something used then you will have more options for your price point. Strollerswap is a great site to get some good deals.

I agree that an MBUS might work or a BJCM (not sure about the recline). Maybe a Phil n Ted's if you want the future double expandability.

edurnemk
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
If the baby's going to be using it all day, I'd seriosly consider something with a bassinet, that's way more comfortable for naps.
For the long walk, you need air tires or foam filled ones, a good suspension and one-handed steering. Also a good canopy (but you can get a canopy extension if the stroller doesn't have a good one - RayShade by kiddopotamus is $16). I'd also recommend reversible seat or handle, but that's a personal choice.

I agree with a PP that you may want to look at CL, Ebay, Stroller swap for a good used stroller, since at 250 there aren't many good options with AT wheels, bassinet option, etc.

edurnemk
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh, BTW, I totally understand you not wanting to have too much clutter in your office, but being realistic, you are going to need more than a stroller. There is no way a baby will be able to stay in the stroller all day. It's also not good for them to lay on their backs all day. For the first few months a bouncy seat is a good option, if it has a toy bar it can entertain him for a while. He also needs to do tummy time for a while somewhere. And when he's a little older you'll definetely need a pack n'play for him to play in, unless he can play and crawl around the office floor.

How cool that you can take him with you, but I don't know if I'd get a lot done with my son in the office, especially now that he's crawling and is harder to entertain.
Good Luck!

BeachBum
12-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I would think that a bassinet and air tires would be a must for your situation. I would start scouring strollerswap, craigslist, and ebay for used ones. Your budget is pretty tight...especially for what it sounds like you need.

I had a MBUS with a carrycot with my DS and it was fantastic. But he is 3 now so I know there must be quite a few other options. The good thing is that the stroller has been on the market for quite some time and so it is pretty easy to find used ones.

I too think the idea of a carrier is a pretty good one. That is a long walk...it would be nice to have another option, tucked right into the basket. While sitting down "holding" a baby with a carrier isn't super convenient, at least you can be hands free.

Hummm...I guess it also depends on when you are going back to work. If you are going back at 3 or 4 months, a bassinet may not be worth it. Usually babies are out of them by the time they sit up if not before (which is around 6 months).

Are you implying that the baby will be strapped into the stroller all day in your office?

I'd skip the snap and go. I just don't see the point for your situation.

Pon
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Mamabargains.com is selling the Micralite stroller with the carrycot (bassinet) right now. I have one without the bassinet which I like quite a bit. It has big air tires and I can push it easily with one finger. I can fit quite a bit in the basket underneath (lots of library books!) but getting them in there can be awkward. My only complaint about it is that the sun protection is not adequate but as someone mentioned above, you could get a shade for it once your baby is older.

The only other strollers I've used is are a Snap n' Go which I wouldn't recommend for a 30 min. walking commute each day (too bumpy) and a Uppababy G-lite which is more of an umbrella stroller that my parents use for short rides.

lzolandz
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't have a stroller to recommend, but I'd recommend against the Peg P3. That's what I have right now and while it may be good as a mall walker/indoor stroller it hasn't held up so well w/ all the outdoor walking I do. Also not to discourage you, but when we were moving cross country we decided to tough it out and not check in to a hotel after the movers came and had our son sleep in the P3 and it didn't go so well :(

I think it would up the price a bit, but a stroller with a bassinet might be a good option. But honestly I think a pack n play would be more practical than a stroller that the baby could sleep in all day- especially once the baby is more mobile. Maybe ease everyone at work into the idea of the baby being there and then sneak the pack n play in. I know its not exactly recommended (since its not flat) but if you have a vibrating bouncy chair or a swing the baby can get a lot of sleep there in the beginning- the vibration always lulled my son to sleep.

Not sure if you're planning on nursing or not, but a sling can be really helpful to nurse hands free and get some work done at the same time (plus it helps you be a bit more discreet in case someone barges into your office). Also if your baby wants to be held a lot the sling lets you do that and still have your hands free.

Good Luck!

MoeJoe
12-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks e/o for your advice!

I'll let you know what we decide when the time comes. We have lots of food for thought, thanks again!