PDA

View Full Version : New life for old crayons?

MamaKath
12-07-2008, 11:30 PM
What do you do with your old crayons? I was thinking about melting them into new crayons, but am not sure if there are any other cool ideas. I have gobs of them from the bins in my classroom, so looking for a bunch of ideas. :)

Melaine
12-07-2008, 11:34 PM
My mom melted them in muffin tins to make multi-colored muffin-shaped crayons. The other cool thing you can do (we LOVED this) was to heat rocks in the oven (really low heat) and then color them. You can let them cool and they are SO pretty, especially with glittery crayons.

thomma
12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
A few years ago for Valentine's Day my student teacher made heart shaped crayons with old crayons and silicone pans. They were adorable. Students chose the colors to put in "their" crayon so each one looked different. She got the idea from Family Fun magazine.

I reused the idea last year except made flower shaped crayons for a mother's day/spring craft.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

o_mom
12-13-2008, 08:26 AM
I love this idea:

http://lets-explore.typepad.com/weblog/2008/08/alphabet-crayons.html

ohiomom1121
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Another thing I've done with them besides melting them into new crayons is shave them with a cheese grater, and let DD decorate a large piece of wax paper with the shavings. Then I cover with another piece and the melt the shavings with an iron. You could use glitter in there too or leaves in the fall.

kahplayground
10-26-2009, 05:29 PM
This idea is from the Humpty Dumpty Magazine Nov/Dec issue 2009

1. Line baking sheet with wax paper

2. Adult cuts 2# block of glycerin saop base (available in craft stores) into chunks (it is usually scored for easy cutting.

3. Place in microwave safe bowl and add crayon shaving (for color).

4. Micorwave for 25-second intervals, stirring until melted (do not overheat).

5. Add soap scent (available in craft stores) and stir SLOWLY to avoid bubbles. Pop any bubbles that form.

6. Have your helper pour the soap onto the baking sheet. Cool for 30" or until softly set.

7. Cut out cookie cutter shapes. Place soaps on a flat surface.

8. When soaps are completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap and secrure with a sticky label. Then write the scent on the label.

My 4-yr-old had the idea to make this for her preschool teachers for Christmas.