PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace my P3 or tough it out?

lzolandz
12-08-2008, 10:36 AM
So I have a Peg P3 that I absolutely hate. It just can't handle the abuse I've put it through and I think I need something a bit more all terrain. I want one stroller that can handle daily 3mi walks on a paved trail, occasional unpaved trails, and a trip to the mall. But here's the problem, my DS is 16 months and we plan to have #2 when he's about 2 1/2- I just can't justify buying a new stroller now and then another in a year.

So my question is do I buy a Phil and Teds Sport now or wait a year and buy a true double (maybe a BJCED) when #2 arrives?

I don't like the idea of an add on Jump Seat that doesn't recline or the Valco rumble seat that requires DS to be rear facing... so I think the P&T is the only "expandable" option that would work for me. But I'm afraid I won't love the P&T- no sunshade in back, can't hang a diaper bag from the handle in double mode, probably isn't as all terrain as I want it to be. I think I'm just attracted to the bright green color, LOL.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve massive hemorrhaging of cash?

WatchingThemGrow
12-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Why don't you look at the BJCES, then get a cheaper/used double when you need one? Disclaimer: I've posted waaaay too much about the BJCED here b/c we love it. BUT...we're finding 2.5 yo DD to be a little better about walking next to the stroller than when DS was born and she was 1.5.

We've enjoyed the wheeled board on the Bugaboo, but that would involve the hemorrhaging you wanted to avoid.

I'd get air tires for sure for outdoor walks, and the BJCES would still be nice and fun when you have a new baby as well. Did you see the pics of the green one cndnveggie posted this weekend? It's nice!

edurnemk
12-08-2008, 02:41 PM
With more than a year to go before needing the double and 3 mile walks, I think you really need a new stroller.
Why don't you check out CL, ebay or stroller swap for a good deal on an AT for now, and then later pick a double.
We have the UPPABaby Vista because it takes a rumble seat, but it's rear facing so I don't think you'd like it. It's a great hybrid stroller though (kind of AT, very versatile).

cndnveggie
12-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow, I was in your EXACT situation a few months ago! I have a Peg P3 that is not a great stroller for our purposes - we mainly use it for walks outside, and it's just too rickety. When DS was 16 months, I decided it was time for an ATS. But, we also plan to have baby #2 when DS is around 2.5, so I was reluctant to buy a new stroller, knowing that we might need a double in a year or so.

Anyways, I spent a lot of time researching and looking at strollers. I love the concept of the Phil & Ted, and was able to borrow a P&T Sport from a friend for a few days, but I just didn't love it. We live in SoCal, and I need a great sunshade, and the Sport's sunshade is pretty bad. And as you said, there's no sunshade for the bottom seat, so I'd have to purchase one separately. I also found the recline a pain to do (several steps), and the brake was VERY difficult to use (and would be even harder with a baby in the bottom seat). The Dash and Vibe seem to have some improvements, but the brake is near the handlebar and seems to be a big issue on both (at least from what I've read online - I also tried out a Vibe IRL and accidently activated the brake within 5 minutes). Those models are both new, and according to a salesperson, there are some changes already planned for them. So I ruled out the P&T as an option.

In the end, we bought a 2009 Baby Jogger City Elite single. The things that sold me were the awesome sunshade, the easy recline, the easy-to-use brake, the option to add a toddler's jump seat (with a canopy that can be purchased separately), and the easy and compact fold. I agree that the jump seat isn't an ideal option, but it's hard to know if DS will still want to be in a stroller when he's 2-3 years old. I figure I can wear baby #2 in a carrier if DS really wants to be in the stroller, to try to avoid buying a double. Worst case - I'll sell the single and get a double, if DS is still in the stroller a lot. It seems to really depend on the child - some kids prefer to walk by the time they're 3, others still love the stroller.

Oh, and I bought the BJCE on ebay, for $450 (at mystrollers.com), and then got 25% cashback through live.com (you can see my post here (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2228987#post2228987) if you don't know about that). So it only cost me aroudn $340, which is pretty reasonable considering how great I think the stroller is!

Anyways, you can see my comments about my new stroller (which I got last week) at this post (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=308979) - I'm really loving it so far, it's living up to my expectations. And if I need a double, I'll very likely get the BJCED, because I love all the features of the stroller!

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions :)

ETA - I just checked out live.com, and now it only offers 8% for ebay purchases :( Too bad - that was such a great deal!

ellies mom
12-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I would buy the stroller now. You may end up not needing a double for 1-3 years but you need a single now. Plus I'm sure a single will come in handy even with two kids.

kijip
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I would buy the stroller now. You may end up not needing a double for 1-3 years but you need a single now. Plus I'm sure a single will come in handy even with two kids.

ITA. A new single (or new to you) that you will use now won't be wasted pst #2- there will be times you will want a single rather than a double.

lzolandz
12-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Ok... I think everyone has helped convince me that I can justify a new stroller- even if it can't convert to double use later. Thanks :)

Now to decide which one :) I want something that is as AT as possible, while not being ridiculous for a trip to the mall. I think I'm leaning towards a BOB Revolution (w/ 16in wheels) but I want to check out the BJCE too.

cndnveggie- how noticeable is the difference between the 2008 & 2009 BJCE? The only significant difference is the suspension right? Given the walking that we do I'd want the suspension, but I'm sure if the stores near me have it in stock.

Thanks everyone!

cndnveggie
12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
cndnveggie- how noticeable is the difference between the 2008 & 2009 BJCE? The only significant difference is the suspension right? Given the walking that we do I'd want the suspension, but I'm sure if the stores near me have it in stock.

I think the main differences are that it has suspension on the front wheel, it's about 3 lbs lighter, and it has some more color choices. For me, those changes were worth the wait (and buying it unseen), but they probably aren't that big of a deal. I don't know how much the suspension improves the ride, and 3 lbs isn't that much...

Personally, I liked the look of the BJCE more than the BOB. It also folds up way more compactly and is easier to carry - I found the BOB would kind of open up, and the front wheel seemed to swing around and get in the way, when I tried carrying it. The BOB just seemed more awkward when folded. Also, I liked that the BJCE has the option for a toddler seat - as I said, I don't know if it will be adequate or if I'll need to buy a double, but I like having the option to try it out. Some other things that I preferred about the BJCE were the canopy (although the BOB also has a great sunshade, the BJCE seemed more extensive and more roomy), the recline (I think the BOB just has two buckles you can undo, so it's either up or down - the BJCE has a sliding belt that has a full recline and can be set at any position in between), and it comes with the parent console with 6 pockets (you have to buy one for the BOB separately). However, I think the BOB has better suspension, and easier access to the underseat storage basket.

Anyways, I think you can look at the 2008 BJCE and get a pretty good idea what the 2009 would be like, so that you can compare it to the BOB and see which one you prefer. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The BOB is the most popular jogging stroller I see around, so it's definitely an awesome stroller. However, it's fun to have a different stroller than everyone else :)

Good luck with your shopping!

strollerqueen
12-09-2008, 05:37 PM
16" rear wheels are too much for the mall, that's why they do a 12" version. In addition to the others mentioned, other good A/T's to check out are the Mountain Buggy and Easy Walker. Even without the live.com (although that was a great deal), you can still find bargains on Ebay, or on Strollerswap (we only allow very clean and gently used strollers to be sold here, unless otherwise mentioned.)