PDA

View Full Version : Non-bitch thread about family and gifts for children. anyone else suprised by family?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
For the kids. I'm amazed. Now granted my stepmother had lists out the whazoo this year and that's helped a lot! In years past I've read off items over the phone. This year I emailed the kids lists and it's worked a lot better because she's and my father have been unable to loose them!

I found out this morning that dd is recieving the holiday barbie and the sleeping beauty horse that moves. She's been begging for these items since october when we started looking at gifts but I honestly didn't think anyone would buy them. After the other presents she's getting from us there wasn't money in the budget for them.

I hope my sister brings her video camera because I'm gonna love seeing the response from dd when she opens these.

Ds is getting handy manny tools-not on the list but he does enjoy the show. And stepsis who was shopping with stepmom actually looked at the lists as well and instead of buying clothes that will only fit a few more months (the kids generally have growth spurts in feb.) she bought ds a fire truck.

I'm elated with the level of thoughtfulness from my family this year.

Anyone else have their family suprising them?

niccig
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I did bitch about MIL buying a big plastic workbench for DS that we don't have the room for, and that he wasn't going to be able to open as she would return the one that she bought, and we would buy one when we returned home. I KNEW DS would not cope well with not opening a present.

Well, she's decided that she needs more boy toys at her house as most are girl toys because of granddaughter that lives near by. So, she is buying 2 plastic workbenches. One for her house and one for DS to have here at home. I still don't want a big plastic toy, but I know DS will love it, and MIL is being very generous in buying 2 of them. So, I need to take back my bitching post.

I do have a bitch about my mother...but in the spirit of present generosity, I'll keep that to myself and be grateful of the presents she gave him.

irie i
12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
So far no Christmas gifts have arrived, but I am totally happy (and a little amused) with how many boxes my sisters and Mom have sent me for my baby, due in January. :) I love them and they have been sooo helpful! The most recent gift was a glider and ottoman...and I think I have enough clothes to last his entire first year!

hellokitty
12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
My family is usually pretty good about gifts for my kids. I have one brother though who is normally, just clueless. I mean, he is one of those ppl who just sucks at buying gifts, even though he doesn't mean to be (I keep wondering what kind of weird gift he is going to give me this yr, the Christmas I was pg with baby #1, he gave me a set of children's books, which was nice as a BABY gift, but weird as a Christmas gift for me). This yr, he noticed that my kids really loved playing with a transformer at my other brother's house. He asked me a few wks ago if it would be ok if he just got my boys a whole bunch of transformers. I was really happy, my brother usually gets them some kind of loud, obnoxious toy that I donate off right away. I appreciate it when family members take the time to ask me what the kids would like/need. My mom and in laws both just said to get something for the kids, wrap it up and let them know how much it cost. To some ppl this may be a pain, but I am a massive bargain shopper and have plenty of gifts for the kids, so it works out and this way my kids are getting toys that I approve of.

egoldber
12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Well the upside to the Amazon wish list is that my ILs follow it religiously and so my kids get exactly what I put on there.

And this year we splurged on the Samantha AG doll because Sarah really wants it and it is being discontinued even though it really is more than we should spend right now. So MIL said that she would buy it for her which I thought was very nice of her. :)

Happy 2B mommy
12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
DH's aunt made DD an "I Spy" quilt as a combined birthday/Christmas present. It's absolutely beautiful and DD loves all the colors. DH's family (his aunt, uncle and 3 cousins whom we are very close to) also got her a Cozy Coupe.

specialp
12-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Now granted my stepmother had lists out the whazoo this year and that's helped a lot!

I am the aunt who is usually clueless on what to get the little ones that I never see and absolutely LOVE that my SIL and Sister gave me suggestions this year when I asked. Now, if only everyone in my family could do that.

MamaMolly
12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a funny one. For the first time EVER my mom has asked what would make a nice gift for DD. Not one thing my mom bought for me or DD since I got pregnant was something I needed, registered for, asked for, etc.

Mom is kind of weird. If I tell her what I want she'll insist she's going to get it, then get to the store and not find it or get tired and but SOMETHING to fill in the shopping blank. I've even had her take purchases out of my hands, but them, then NOT receive them. :shrug: She is also the type who gets hurt if you return a gift. It equals rejection to her. So mom doesn't ask, removes tags, and is wounded if you return. Sounds like a loose-loose, eh? ;)

My parents are divorced and Dad always asks what the 'birthday fairy' and Santa can bring DD. This year he gave DD an instrument set for her birthday and she LOVES it.

So flash forward to last week and mom calls wanting to know what to get DD. I told her I'd picked out a wooden nativity but I was thinking of asking dad to get it because he shops online and she got so mad! 'He got to give her the instruments!" she said. So I suggested a doll stroller. DD will adore it and mom can afford it.

All this to say that sometimes, these things can take care of themselves. :)

And my sister, my lovely kind sister, who started emailing me Christmas Week Menus a month ago so we could get *everything* allergy safe for DD. My super deluxe sister who, when I wrote to thank her, wrote back that DD's safety is the most important part of planning the holiday meals. :heartbeat: That kind of love and support is MY gift!!!!

kijip
12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
My mom saw that T was looking at a very big book one day at the store and decided to get him that. By the time she told me, I had ordered it so she bought it off me. My dad saw T really liking the microscope at school science club and so he mentioned wanting to find one to me and I hooked him up with the Amazon sale one in the bargains forum. It was super nice on each of their parts.

Last year, after years of bizarre gifts to my husband and me from my ILs, imagine our surprize to open up their package and find the Cuisinart Ice cream maker...something we had not asked for and would never bring ourselves to buy but totally love having and using. It has been a great gift! And we make Chai ice cream at home now whenever we want. :yay:

Wife_and_mommy
12-08-2008, 11:00 PM
To some ppl this may be a pain, but I am a massive bargain shopper and have plenty of gifts for the kids, so it works out and this way my kids are getting toys that I approve of.

This is me too! I am beyond thrilled that my IL's didn't head to TRU to buy expensive gifts we probably can't use. Instead they gave me a budget and I found large items both kids will *love*. My MIL hates to shop so she's thrilled. I hope she'll get over feeling bad because she didn't have to do the shopping. Her mom used to give her $ to buy/wrap gifts which she *hated*. I LOVE it and am grateful!

Same for BIL/SIL. They'll probably do a gc somewhere which will be new and, I think, fun for the kiddos. I'll be directing them to the things I had in mind but they'll love "buying" it themselves.