PDA

View Full Version : ISO - Hallmark Ornaments from prior years any thoughts?

alien_host
12-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I started buying the "My Child's" 1st 2nd 3rd Christmas ornaments from Hallmark and they discontinued the series (cat for girl, dog for boy). I was interested in buying the 2007 issue of 4th and 5th but on Ebay they are pricey and other retailers on line (like Hookedonhallmark) are ridculously expensive.

Any thoughts on how to find them? I called two local Hallmarks to see if they had any out back and they acted like I was a nut.

Does anyone on here work for a Hallmark store and might have some insight?

TIA!

Ceepa
12-08-2008, 03:19 PM
oh no! We have these for my DC every year. :(

alien_host
12-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I know doesn't it stink? Had I known I would have bought the next two years last year at 1/2 off. Damn hallmark ;) Apparently the 2007 ones weren't dated on the ornament for that purpose (using them in 2008/09/10).

I usually put it in DD's stocking each year. The new ones are cute, but don't "go" with the other ones, if you KWIM ;)

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I was bummed about this as well. This would have been the last one for my son. Instead of looking for the 5th ornament, I just started him on a new collectible series.

I wish Hallmark would have phased them out! (Like this year have 1 be the new design and 2-5 be the old design.)

I bet it's going to be hard to find one at a resonable price since they discontinued them and everyone that are missing some are going to be looking for them.

mom2one
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Check ebay! that is where I found the ornament that I was missing. Good luck.

mrshalco
12-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Isn't it annoying!! I also needed one more and noticed on BF that they switched the series. I am going to start a new tradition....one where I get something that represents what DS was into that year. Good luck finding the one you want!

rlmomto5
12-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Yes, check ebay....I have found several ornaments on there that I needed to complete a set.

mnosky1
12-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Ebay - but not around Christmas time - prices are way too high. I will set a favorite search and have it email me when the item comes up.

caheinz
12-09-2008, 03:37 PM
My local Hallmark told me last year when I bought #4. I think they had a sign up as well. (So, I picked up #5 at the same time... I didn't get any extras, though!)

It is bad form to switch a series like that the way they did....

Jen841
12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
In lieu of the Hallmark series, each child gets a piece of a nativity set and an ornament of what they were for Halloween. She puts a date on it herself with a sharpie somewhere.

ckeene14
12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I was just browsing my local craigslist (chicago) looking up ornaments, and I saw a lady was selling two grocery sacks full of Hallmark ornaments. You might want to check your craigslist. Good Luck.

alien_host
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
I think I'll wait til it's off season to shop ebay, too pricey right now!

thanks for the tip on Craigslist, that's a great idea.

Fairy
12-09-2008, 10:40 PM
The Hallmark ornament tradition thing sucks for "backordering" prior ornaments. Owners of these ornaments sell them for alot of money, and it's hard to find them inexpensively or even reasonably. We do the Star Trek ornaments, and it used to be just one ornament a year, but now they have two big ones, one small one, and it's a mess! Yet, we've learned, GET THEM NOW and dont' miss them or we'll be in that rut. We buy one to never open and one to use. I know, I know ...

I agree with a PP, if you need to get these for a previous year, don't do it at Xmas. Do it no earlier than end of January, but better in, like, March. I know that doesn't hel pyou right now ... sorry!

srhs
12-10-2008, 01:11 PM
We needed one that sold out quickly one year, and I was just really patient with checking online at various sites and ebay for a few months. Finally found one at some independent lady's website reasonable. I know it doesn't help with your stocking moment, sorry. :(
Oh, and I do have a Hallmark employee relative, and he couldn't get it either...after they were sold.