PDA

View Full Version : Egg free cupcakes or muffins? Mods, please leave for a while, then move

niccig
12-08-2008, 08:54 PM
We have 2 boys with egg allergies in our playgroup. I want to make snowman decorated cupcakes for our playgroup Christmas Dinner. All the snowman edible decoration are egg and peanut free, but not the cupcake.

Does someone have a good recipe for either cupcakes or muffins?

Here's the snowman decorations that I'm doing.
I can't use the mints for the hat, as it has egg whites in them. But I'm going to make something similar from melted chocolate. I'm using candy canes instead of pretzel because of a peanut allergy.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50093

THanks for any help

ETA. I need to have these for Wednesday, I was going to make them tomorrow.

LarsMal
12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Those are SO cute!

You can use any from-scratch recipe and substitute each egg with the following:

1 egg= 1 1/2 Tablespoons veg oil, 1 1/2 Tablespoons water, 1 tsp baking powder. Mix it together and add it to the recipe where it calls for adding the eggs in.

I've used it in recipes with up to 3 eggs with no problems. I don't know how well it works beyond that. Also, it doesn't work that well with boxed cakes mixes, so a scratch recipe is better. I can post one if you need it.

ETA: Rold Gold pretzels are peanut free/not processed on shared equipment, so you could use those if you wanted to keep with the pretzel stick idea.

niccig
12-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Those are SO cute!

You can use any from-scratch recipe and substitute each egg with the following:

1 egg= 1 1/2 Tablespoons veg oil, 1 1/2 Tablespoons water, 1 tsp baking powder. Mix it together and add it to the recipe where it calls for adding the eggs in.

I've used it in recipes with up to 3 eggs with no problems. I don't know how well it works beyond that. Also, it doesn't work that well with boxed cakes mixes, so a scratch recipe is better. I can post one if you need it.

ETA: Rold Gold pretzels are peanut free/not processed on shared equipment, so you could use those if you wanted to keep with the pretzel stick idea.

Could you please post the cake recipe. If it's one you've made with the egg substitute, I'll know that it works.

I was able to get chocolate dipped candy cane sticks at Cost Plus, I think they'll work better than the pretzels as reviewers said that the pretzels got soggy with time and the snowman collapsed. They were more $$ than pretzels, but it's a one of thing for the kids.

I was amazed at how many bags of candy were either egg or peanut or both. Her boys have allergies to both.

I'm going to bring the boxes of the candy that I did use - the fruit leather and the orange slices, so they mum can check that it's OK. I'll also bring the leftover marshmallows, candy canes etc, so we can make a few more up if we need to.

I also have to avoid tree nuts in the adult dessert I'm making, as one of the mums is allergic to almonds and hazelnuts...It's been a lot of label reading at the supermarket today.

DrSally
12-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I used a pillsbury box of funfetti cake mix and just subbed the egg for--1 egg= 1 1/2 Tablespoons veg oil, 1 1/2 Tablespoons water, 1 tsp baking powder (courtesy of Julie). I did use the cake mix to make cookies though, so I'm not sure how fluffy it would be as a cupcake.

LarsMal
12-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Could you please post the cake recipe. If it's one you've made with the egg substitute, I'll know that it works.

This is the chocolate cupcake recipe I use. It has been a big hit with allergy and non-allergy kids and adults!

Kingma’s Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes
3 C flour

2 C sugar

½ C unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

2 C cold water

1 C canola oil

1 Tbl. vanilla

1 ½ C dairy-free, nut-free, semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tin with paper liners.

Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

In a separate large bowl, combine water, oil, and vanilla.

Whisk dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until thoroughly blended.

Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Sprinkle chocolate chips over each cupcake.

Bake for about 17 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Cool completely.

DrSally
12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Those sound yummy! I have to bookmark this so I can try it in the future? What chocolate chips do you use, Julie?

niccig
12-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make these.

What do you use for chocolate chips. I just checked what I have, one says made in facility with eggs and milk, the other brand is made in facility with peanuts..Are there any brands that are OK to use?

ETA. I found a brand online Enjoy Life and their chocolate chips are peanut free. They're at Whole Foods, so I'll pick some up tomorrow.

pastrygirl
12-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I made this vegan chocolate cake/cupcake recipe (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx) for Thanksgiving, and it was really good! I was only concerned about lactose-free, but it happens to be egg-free.

lil_acorn
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Try this one - it is very yummy & from teh author of the book: Vegan Cupcakes take over teh world:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10794