PDA

View Full Version : Are you multiples moms finding the holidays stressful?

gatorsmom
12-09-2008, 05:08 PM
This is a bit of an offshoot of the post on how do multiples moms cope. I'm just wondering if any of you moms with twins + another child are having a hard time enjoying these holidays? I planned far in advance but I still have so much to do that I"m stressed and not really enjoying this. As the days tick down to Christmas day, and I"m not getting stuff done, I just keep thinking "there goes one more day I didn't get around to making cookies with the boys."

Anyone else feeling this way? Anyone?

fivi2
12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Well, I only have the twins, so have nothing to compare it to. My girls will be 3 in a couple of days. I just set my sights pretty low ;) This is the first year they are really getting into things - we did the christmas tree farm, they are excited to see Santa, etc. I haven't done my cards yet (or any cookies).

I don't worry about decorating as much as I used to (Halloween used to be my big holiday actually, but the past couple years I've been lucky to set out an uncarved pumpkin or 2) We have the tree up and hope to put out some lights soon, since they keep asking for them, and that is it. I hope to bake cookies between now and christmas! I do almost all of my shopping online.

I know I don't do as much as the moms of singletons (or non twin siblings) do. That is just life. I don't feel like my girls are missing out on anything though. We will do those things once they are able to do them more independently. (example: a friend is taking her 2.5 yo singleton to make gingerbread houses at a local event. There is no way I can do that with my twins. But in a couple years they will be able to listen well enough to do it. I am fine with waiting until then :) ) And, I think they have a lot of fun with each other!

Another long winded post from me... Trying to say that I TRY not to let it stress me. We do what we can and forget about the rest. If it is important we will do it eventually. We all have a much better time when we are relaxed. (I find avoiding crafty blogs around this time of year helpful also ;) If I look at those I feel completely inadequate!) Oh, and I am actually stressing about their upcoming birthday party right now - once we are past that, I might start stressing about Christmas!

gatorsmom
12-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Trying to say that I TRY not to let it stress me. We do what we can and forget about the rest. If it is important we will do it eventually. We all have a much better time when we are relaxed. (I find avoiding crafty blogs around this time of year helpful also ;) If I look at those I feel completely inadequate!) Oh, and I am actually stressing about their upcoming birthday party right now - once we are past that, I might start stressing about Christmas!

It's so good to hear someone that is likeminded. I was putting stress on myself that our tree isn't up yet or our wreaths or that I've done any Christmas activities with the kids (other than sing Christmas songs around the house). I really, really felt bad at Halloween because we have so many fun decorations and I just didn't have the time to get them out. And the sad thing is that my oldest is 5yo and now is really a fun time for him. But I was trying to get some Christmas shopping done ahead of time, I got Christmas cards done ahead, was trying to plan a nice, special 1st birthday for the twins (of course the 1st birthday has to be special!), as well as pack for our trip to Texas. I really want to do a better job of celebrating Christmas than we did Halloween and despite my advance planning it's just not turning out as I'd hoped.

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone and it's ok if everything isn't perfect. Sometimes I need reminding of that. oh, and btw, they have $10
gingerbread house kits at Target that are really fun and easy for the kids. We made one here at home last year. I wouldn't worry about a special event for that :).

fivi2
12-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah - it is hard not to freak out about all the stuff you want to be doing...

Thanks for the gingerbread kit suggestion. I was just thinking about the event because some friends are going and it is at a fun place - like a party sort of a thing... But we will do it some other time! (or just do our own at home. eventually. :) )

Melaine
12-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Well, I only have just the twins (they are 26 months old). I really can't imagine having anymore thrown into the chaos at this point. I will say that this Christmas so far has been worlds less stressful than the last two. I agree that setting your standards reasonably low is helpful. We used to have an annual Christmas party every year and that has sort of fallen by the wayside. I know it's harder with older kids, because you have to get out and get them places. It's pretty much ok for me to stay at home with the girls a lot.
I have also really started giving myself lots of credit for the stuff I AM able to accomplish. We put our tree up....YAY.....we have some of the gifts wrapped....YAY.....I cleaned the bathrooms once this month.....YAY.....I had a chance to shower today.....YAY......I made dinner once this week.....YAY!
See what I mean about lowering your standards? lol....
another thing I remind myself is that the girls are having a great Christmas. They are thrilled with the Christmas tree and seeing family, and they like playing with the nativity and Baby Jesus. They don't even realize there are presents involved, or that those gifts under the tree are for them! So I am trying to really enjoy this simple time in their lives and not worry that we haven't made it to visit Santa or cut a fresh tree or go caroling or any of the other things I would like to do....

caheinz
12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
I've lowered my expectations. The house is getting decorated, but more slowly than usual. One tree is up. Went up Saturday, and was finished last night. (We had two trees last year, but DS1 doesn't seem to remember that.)

Got the advent calendar -- we have a big decorated wooden house from Costco -- out by 1 Dec. This weekend, we should get the stockings out. Not too much left.

Outside lights are probably out for this year. That's DH's project, and it just never happened, and with snow on the ground, I don't think it will.

Now, I'm not sure when I'm going to find the time to wrap presents... Shopping has been mainly online this year, more so than prior years.

The twins won't remember this one, and DS1 seems to be content thus far...

Oh, and cookies are ditched for this year, too. DS1 doesn't seem to remember doing them... hopefully we can make them next year again!

mamaoftwins
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I just have the twins (almost 14mos), but yes, I am finding the holidays stressful. I think the weather has been my breaking point. I have grocery shopping that I HAVE to get done today or tomorrow ... cookies to bake, Christmas Eve dinner fixings, and our usual groceries to get, and b/c it is so freakin' cold, I cannot bring myself to take these two little boys out. It's not like I can just run in and out with a kid - I have to get out the stroller, one boy out of the carseat and in, then he has to sit there in the cold, while I get the other boy out and in. Then, we have a chilly, windy walk into the store. Or, If I'm lucky enough to find a double cart sitting outside, it will be freezing on their little bums. Argh. I think I will just go out tonight by myself after DH gets home from work.

Thanks for the talk about lowering your standards. I did get all of the gifts done, and mailed to our families as of last week, so yay for that! And I am considering ditching the cookie-baking idea ... I dunno ... I'm feeling guilty, but honestly, I am sure no one will mind.

:hug: to all you stressin' and non-stressin' multiple mamas! :)

Momof3Labs
12-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Stressed beyond my wildest dreams these days! Moms, expect a lot of questions from me in the coming months (years?) as this feels far beyond anything I've known before!!

missym
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Lori, did I miss an announcement? Congratulations!! :bouncy:

gatorsmom
12-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Stressed beyond my wildest dreams these days! Moms, expect a lot of questions from me in the coming months (years?) as this feels far beyond anything I've known before!!

Yes, congratulations!!! How exciting! 4 children are doable. Previous experience with 2 other children is a big help! Wow, what a holiday bonus!

mamaoftwins
12-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Yay! Congrats! :D :D