PDA

View Full Version : Funny Holiday Story with DD

kransden
12-10-2008, 12:20 AM
We have a good friend that is very Jewish. Since our area is not exactly a hotbed of Judahism, she celebrates Hanukkah with us. My dd <i> loves</i> dreidels and especially Hanukkah gelt. I think it is a nice cross cultural thing to do. Plus, I love latkes ;).

Well... Sunday, during Sunday School, St. Nicholas visited the kids at the church. He left chocolate coins in their shoes. When I met my dd after S.S. she loudly announced to me in the fellowship hall that "St. Nicholas left me Hanukkah gelt in my shoe!!!!!" I almost fell over laughing. Everyone else was pretty amused too.

ha98ed14
12-10-2008, 02:22 AM
We have a good friend that is very Jewish. Since our area is not exactly a hotbed of Judahism, she celebrates Hanukkah with us. My dd <i> loves</i> dreidels and especially Hanukkah gelt. I think it is a nice cross cultural thing to do. Plus, I love latkes ;).

Well... Sunday, during Sunday School, St. Nicholas visited the kids at the church. He left chocolate coins in their shoes. When I met my dd after S.S. she loudly announced to me in the fellowship hall that "St. Nicholas left me Hanukkah gelt in my shoe!!!!!" I almost fell over laughing. Everyone else was pretty amused too.

That's awesome! As the product of an inter-faith marriage, I often mixed up the two until I was old enough to remember the stories behind the holidays. Later, as a teen, I thought the SNL sketch "Hanukkah Harry" was THE funniest thing!

amldaley
12-10-2008, 09:20 AM
That is lovely and too cute! How nice that your dd will ggrow up with an appreciation of other cultures...or at least for other cultures toys and candy! ;)