PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Wish List for Adults

jgenie
12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
No tomatoes please - I personally don't like wish lists for adults that can afford to buy items themselves. It was one thing when they needed things and wanted to clue us in on those items. I know for us it is so nice not to have to go to the mall to do extra shopping. I would much rather they spend that time with their families instead of trying to find the perfect gift for us. On my side of the family, we've finally done away with adult gifts - Grandma gets a small gift from DGC and I'm planning to send small gifts to DS' godparents from DS. Now here's my problem - DH's family still wants to get us gifts. Our standard response is that we don't need anything. I understand that the tradition is to exchange gifts, but it just ends up being more stuff - yes, we can all easily afford to exchange gifts, but it seems like such a waste. So, should I just tell them what to get us so it actually gets used or continue saying we don't need anything in hopes that we can eventually do away with the gift exchanging? I think we're going to be sending consumable gifts so we're not adding the stuff - wine and snack baskets probably.

specialp
12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't know, I think it is too late to "do away" with gift exchange for THIS Chrismtas. I would give them general ideas of things you might like. I always appreciate it when others give me ideas.

As for future holidays, talk to any BIL/SIL you may have on that side and see if you can do away with it for next year. People deal with it a lot better if there is notice. Explain it's for the kids lets focus on them, less shopping for everyone, your family is doing it and it is working out well, etc.

elliput
12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
If you live in a colder part of the country, hat/glove/scarf sets are always nice.

Consumables such as specialty/gourmet coffees and teas are nice. Are your IL's in a different part of the country? Is there some special food that is produced in the area? My aunt and uncle in Wisconsin always sent us cheese for Christmas. I know it is a bit cliche, but, man, did we ever look forward to getting that wonderful asiago! Dad would ration it. LOL!

kedss
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
maybe babysitting? a dinner out? museum membership?

Ceepa
12-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I'd offer suggestions just make it something that makes sense to you. Sounds like you all are being eco-friendly so how about something that corresponds to that. Stainless steel water bottles? Reusable shopping bags? Planting a tree in the name of your family?

mommylamb
12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
You could do one of those adopt a goat for a poor village out there somewhere things.