PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff- Art Supply Thread

kristac
12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Please tell me what specific supplies are your childrens favs (include brand if possible and age of child). Also feel free to share any tips you have for making clean up easier or unusual ways to use supplies, etc.

brittone2
12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
We homeschool, and DS is pretty into art, so that's my disclaimer for what we have LOL. DS is 4.5, almost 5, and DD just turned 2.

Paint-fingerpaint, tempra paint, Stockmar watercolors
Crayons-stockmar blocks and sticks
colored pencils (would like to upgrade to Lyra or Stockmar or similar)
washable markers
do a dot markers (the generic version from Michaels)
Big pads of heavy watercolor paper (bought from AC Moore and Michaels with 40% off coupons as this stuff is somewhat pricey)
Regular plain paper of various weights
Old matte board (leftover scraps from people who use it for framing. It makes nice heavy duty watercolor/paint "canvas". We have a store locally that sells donated/recycled craft scraps, etc. It is a nonprofit called the Scrap Exchange here in NC. They get ribbon, fabric, paper, carpet samples, you name it, and you fill a bag for a flat fee)
stickers
glue (elmer's type)
gluesticks
googly eyes, popscicle sticks, pompoms, etc.
chalk and small lap chalkboard
tape
yarn
cotton balls
stuff from pantry: rice, lentils, etc. for gluing onto paper

3-d stuff:
Playdoh/Soft dough
Playdoh extruder thingie
air dry clay (Alex)
stockmar modeling beeswax (better for 4-5 years and above IMO)
wikki stix
DS is getting a potholder loom and cotton loops this year (he's almost 5)
We recently started w/ burlap in an embroidery hoop, and then a plastic kid needle (from Michaels) and embroidery floss. He really enjoyed this.
Pipecleaners (keep away from my little one because of sharp ends)

indoor easel w/ chalkboard and white board
outdoor cheapo yardsale easel (plastic...little tykes or similar?) that lives on the deck for painting outdoors for a good part of the year (helps make it easier to cleanup)

BeachBum
12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
We have everything mentioned above (except the Scrap Exchange Stuff, and the sewing stuff and other stuff mentioned for her 5 yr old). My son is 3.

We also have
pipe cleaners and beads for stringing and making 3D sculptures.
Feathers,
pom pom balls,
old magazines (great for cutting skills and collages).
Paperclips (not sure of the fascination but he loves them)
stamps--tons of stamps and stamp pads

For us, the key to success is having a variety of supplies available all the time. We have one of those rolling carts with the plastic drawers that stores most of the stuff...then one other drawer set that sits on his desk for the small things. We keep these things out at his table and chairs set all the time.

As for brands and where to buy....for us it hasn't mattered. I just grab stuff at walmart / michaels. After he gets a bit older I'm sure quality supplies will matter more, but for now they don't.

zoestargrove
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I've dedicated an entire closet to art supplies. Two of those rolling carts fit inside each with 7 drawers, then, I have shelving above for large format paper, books, etc.

My boys are now 4 and 5.5.

In addition to what others have mentioned.
We have a big bin of recycled materials, stryofoam shapes from packaging, yogurt cups, egg cartons, etc. When the collection gets unruly- we create robots from the trash.

Stamps and ink

Various paper punch outs that come in different shapes

Scrapbooking fancy cuts scissors

Origami paper

Tissue paper

Lyra water colored pencils. You draw just like normal colored pencils, then you use a watered down brush and go over the drawing and it transforms to a watercolor painting.

glitter, stickers, confetti, stencils, ribbons, yarn, thread, silk flowers, beads, blank wooden people, fabric scraps, etc. It's a lot of stuff and if it weren't organized, it would be a disaster.

lisams
12-11-2008, 03:32 PM
For my 6 year old, one of her favorites is when I put out homemade playdough, popsicle sticks, toothpicks, spaghetti noodles (uncooked) and other various "building" materials. She creates these amazing things using the playdough to keep things together.

Another take on that is toothpicks and marshmellows. She loves building with those.

Tape is a HUGE hit with her as well. At the back to school sales when things are on clearance I stock up on masking tape and scotch tape. It's amazing how tape can keep her occupied for over an hour. Lately she's been wrapping little random things up, using tape a paper napkins (I keep the extras from when we get fast food, they always throw way too many in the bag).

Keep recyclables and put them in a tub for constructing things. TP rolls, kleenex boxes, yogurt containers, etc. all make great contructing supplies. That masking tape comes in handy here.

This one can get messy, we do it outside, but using straws and blowing watered down paint on paper. This is good when DD is a little hyper and needs to do some deep breathing. It really does relax her, I think becase it forces her to take deep breathes. These come out looking really cool.

One fun tip is to save all of those paintings and other various paper creations in the gift wrapping paper tub and use them to wrap up gifts. Family members really enjoy this! I also don't feel as bad, since I'm not throwing all of her work away.

Can't wait to hear other ideas!

fortato
12-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Elmers White (not school) glue and shaving cream mixed together makes fantastic puffy paint. (Equal parts works well, but you can mess around with the quantities to get the desired look)

We love that, and it cleans very easily.
Liquid watercolor
tape
stickers
stamps

JTsMom
12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
These lists have been so extensive, I don't know if there's much left! LOL The only things I don't remember seeing mentioned (maybe I missed them) are yarn, googly eyes and cardboard and tissue paper scraps.

fortato
12-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Tissue paper scraps and clear contact paper make cool "stained glass" windows.

AND!! I almost forgot...
Those packing peanuts that dissolve in water- kids can make sculptures with them by just dipping them in water and sticking them together. And when they are done, they can just toss them in the sink.

brittone2
12-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Tape is a HUGE hit with her as well. At the back to school sales when things are on clearance I stock up on masking tape and scotch tape. It's amazing how tape can keep her occupied for over an hour. Lately she's been wrapping little random things up, using tape a paper napkins (I keep the extras from when we get fast food, they always throw way too many in the bag).

DS is almost 5 and has been wrapping up all kinds of stuff in the past few months LOL. The child loves tape and stationary. He "writes letters" to anyone and everyone...the neighbors, etc. and then delivers them. He has a gift wrapped up for Santa for Christmas Eve already (a candycane for his trip LOL). Anyway, another tape lover here.

neeleymartin
12-12-2008, 09:05 PM
water colored pencils. You draw just like normal colored pencils, then you use a watered down brush and go over the drawing and it transforms to a watercolor painting.

THAT'S' IT!!!!!

i have been searching high and low for the paint with water books for ds. can't find them. i think i will just draw some very simple pics of objects with these pencils and let him go to town.

YES, YES, YES!!!!! thanks for the great idea.

o_mom
12-12-2008, 10:59 PM
THAT'S' IT!!!!!

i have been searching high and low for the paint with water books for ds. can't find them. i think i will just draw some very simple pics of objects with these pencils and let him go to town.

YES, YES, YES!!!!! thanks for the great idea.

I found the paint with water books at Target of all places, in the book section, not the art section. I don't know that they still have them and they were all Little People themed, but you might check there.