PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything scary in the movie "Happy Feet"?

fivi2
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I see this movie is on HBO on Demand currently. My dds (turn 3 in a couple days) are really into penguins and snow right now, so I was thinking about trying it. (They probably won't last the whole movie, but at least part of it). However, they are very easily frightened. Rudolph is too much for them, for example. So - are there any scary parts? (I have no idea what the movie is about)
TIA!

Twoboos
12-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes, there is a scary part with some seals... I can't remember when it happens in the movie, haven't watched since last year, but DDs still remember it!

this review might help:
http://www.kids-in-mind.com/h/happyfeet.htm

sste
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Yes, there is a shark part. And there is a horrible separation and imprisonment. I don't understand the appeal of this movies for kids. My husband and I were completely distraught after seeing it on an airplane - - and that was BEFORE we had a baby!!

** I should note I am in the minority on this one, everyone else seems to love the movie. I also -- no joke -- think Bambi is one of the saddest and most disturbing stories in the history of cinema.

citymama
12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I dont think I would recommend the entire film for a 3 yr old. The first half hr is OK, but then you'd need to fast fwd through the film b/c there are some scary parts - seals, sharks, isolation, etc.

fivi2
12-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks! Sounds like it won't work.

ITA about Bambi by the way...

ast96
12-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought Happy Feet was terrifying and I also thought that other than the music, it kind of sucked.

miki
12-11-2008, 04:21 PM
DD is the queen of penguins. Happy Feet is not for the sensitive child. Surf's Up is better but more beach and ocean than snow.

A very nice penguin cartoon is called Ozie Boo. We stumbled across this at the public library. It's musical, upbeat, nothing scary. http://www.amazon.com/Ozie-Boo-Learn-Live-Together/dp/B000KX0IQI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1229026833&sr=8-1

fivi2
12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
DD is the queen of penguins. Happy Feet is not for the sensitive child. Surf's Up is better but more beach and ocean than snow.

A very nice penguin cartoon is called Ozie Boo. We stumbled across this at the public library. It's musical, upbeat, nothing scary. http://www.amazon.com/Ozie-Boo-Learn-Live-Together/dp/B000KX0IQI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1229026833&sr=8-1

Thanks for the suggestions!

Fairy
12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, there is a shark part. And there is a horrible separation and imprisonment. I don't understand the appeal of this movies for kids. My husband and I were completely distraught after seeing it on an airplane - - and that was BEFORE we had a baby!!

** I should note I am in the minority on this one, everyone else seems to love the movie. I also -- no joke -- think Bambi is one of the saddest and most disturbing stories in the history of cinema.

I have not seen the movie for the very reasons you stated. I'm terribly sensitive, and animals in peril, animal cruelty, and abuse just gets me into real live hysterics. My parents got Happy Feet for DS, who is 4, and I'm just not srue I want him to see it befroe I screen it, and ... I'm afraid to screen it, myself. As for Bambi, I only disagree with you inasmuch as it's Dumbo that kills me more. The cruelty, the trunks ... I cannot handle it. Bambi is a close second, and Mufasa a very close third. The first two are banned movies in my house, the third when he's ready to handle it. The only thing I consider is letting him see Dumbo so that he can get an appreciation for how horrible animal cruelty is so that he can feel that empathy. But to make him go thru that movie? I dunno. So, jury's still out on Happy Feet in my house for DS, too.

Corie
12-11-2008, 09:48 PM

I completely agree with you about this movie! I think it is horribly
sad and depressing.