PDA

View Full Version : Winter blues remedies?

JustMe
12-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Can anyone recommend any supplements that help for winter blues? I just notice that I am so much more lethargic and have no energy. When I need to pick up dd from her afterschool program in the dark (5:30), I just want to be able to rest and really struggle to entertain her for the hours until her bedtime (and she has been more cranky this year, more likely from her adjustment to Kindergarten rather than the season). My mood is manageable (although definitely not where it is in the summer), but I just have no energy! I do get out for a walk almost everyday. Any suggestions?

Does vitamin D help? If so, how much should I take. Its usually very cloudy where I live at this time of the year on top of everything else...

mom2one
12-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Here are a few things that just popped into my head.

1- get a sun lamp, lack of sunlight can cause blues. My friend does "light therapy" everyday
2- when was the last time you had your thyroid and iron levels checked. Both of those will cause you to have no energy
3- Eat good food to help.

HTH in some way.

brittone2
12-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Vitamin D...through good foods (pastured dairy, pastured eggs and meat), Carlson's or Nordic Naturals cod liver oil, and daily sunlight.

That's what I do, but obviously this isn't medical advice :)

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-13-2008, 03:49 PM
My friend who has similar problems goes and lies in a tanning bed twice a week. If you have the spare time and money go try it. She swears by it.

ThreeofUs
12-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I've recently read some research showing a correlation between low EHA/DHA levels and low energy/mood/blues, too.

You could get more from fish oils, along with D.

MontrealMum
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Seconding all the above advice, and just wanting to add about thyroid...this is the first winter that I've been on thyroid medication, and the first winter since moving to Quebec that I've not had trouble. It gets dark here - as in nighttime dark - at 4:30 from about Oct-Feb or so, and I've always wanted to lay down and go to bed right then and there; it felt so depressing to me to arrive home in the dark. Now, I feel fine. I also have much more energy throughout the day. Get your thyroid checked if you haven't recently.

StantonHyde
12-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Light therapy works wonders. DH uses it for 30 mins a day.
Exercise is another key element. Increases the dopamine.
If you get all the stuff checked out etc and everything else looks normal, then you should talk to your doctor about Wellbutrin--I have done that before with SAD and it was great.

mommy111
12-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Second the suggestion for light therapy, it works wonders for a friend