PDA

View Full Version : Poll- do you like fruit on the bottom yogurt?

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I think I may be in the minority for disliking fruit on the bottom yogurt since that's all they seem to sell for adults. So, I thought I would poll everyone here to find out if my theory is true.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I like smooth yogurt fob yogurt has like yogurt curds. I don't mind the pieces of fruit. I am fine with a plain or vanilla yogurt that I add things to though.

Beth

pb&j
12-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't like it either. I can never get it mixed right and end up with fruit still on the bottom. And it's kind of gelatinous fruit at that. I prefer adding my own stuff to plain yogurt. I also like the greek yogurt with the fruit on the side, but it is really expensive.

brittone2
12-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Another Greek yogurt fan here. That is a pretty solid staple around here. We also make our own yogurt and that's pretty yummy :)

egoldber
12-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't mind it, but I don't have to have it either. I usually buy whatever is cheapest or on sale and/or I have a coupon for.

We also make our own yogurt and that's pretty yummy

And not to hijack, but Beth (brittone2), I am wanting to start making my own yogurt. Do you have a yogurt maker or do you use another method?

elliput
12-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I prefer plain yogurt with frozen blueberries and/or granola.

brittone2
12-14-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't mind it, but I don't have to have it either. I usually buy whatever is cheapest or on sale and/or I have a coupon for.

And not to hijack, but Beth (brittone2), I am wanting to start making my own yogurt. Do you have a yogurt maker or do you use another method?

We have one, but we often do big batches in the oven with the light on instead. The yogurt maker method was probably a little easier to start, but if you want to try it on the cheap, it is possible to do in the oven with the light on.

HTH :)

Even if it doesn't set up, just toss it in a smoothie (will still taste like yogurt, but it will be more like the drinkable yogurt). That way you aren't out the $ and time entirely.

Melaine
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
NO....it just seems like yogurt poured on top of a big blob of jelly.

egoldber
12-14-2008, 11:37 AM
but if you want to try it on the cheap, it is possible to do in the oven with the light on.

Directions or a link please. :loveeyes:

kijip
12-14-2008, 11:56 AM
i voted no but I should have voted other.

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever eat any yogurt at all. Fruit on bottom, top, middle, not at all.

The only dairy product I can handle on it's own is a limited number of cheeses. Yogurt makes me want to retch. It's a testimony to how much I love my son that I can now serve yogurt and wash up plates with yogurt on them without gagging.

wendibird22
12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
For some reason I don't mind mixing fresh fruit into yogurt but cannot stand fruit on the bottom...those chunks gross me out. Weird. I know.

wellyes
12-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I read nutritionist Marion Nestle's "What to Eat", and she strongly reminds her readers that sweetened commercial yogurt, especially yogurt with fruit on bottom, should nutritionally be considered a dairy dessert. They try to sell it as a health product, but then again you can also buy "breakfast cookies" at the grocery store too.

I use fruit-on-the-bottom as a dessert at work - yeah, homemade yogurt with fresh fruit (especially fresh peach or mango!) is far superior, but for grab-and-go convenience I do buy the supermarket stuff.

The greek stuff is good but expensive. My personal favorite is the plain / unsweetened yogurt with the handwritten label from the Indian grocer. Tangy and delicious and actually cheaper than the processed stuff.

caleymama
12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Nope. Can't stand the chunks of fruit. Bleeecchhhh. DH and both DDs like it, but I never have. I don't mind fruit flavored yogurt, but I usually stick to plain w/ some maple syrup or vanilla. To be fair, though, I don't care for most of the actual fruits that are in yogurt to begin with. I love Greek yogurt.

Sillygirl
12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I eat it without mixing it and toss the jam at the bottom. The top is kind of sour and the middle yogurt part is just right. I don't buy it, though, I get the stuff without corn syrup and that's premixed.

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't buy it, though, I get the stuff without corn syrup and that's premixed.

Ooh, what kind can you get premixed? Brown Cown used to have a premixed fruit one but not anymore. I buy our yougurt at either Trader Joe's or a natural food store so none of them have corn syrup but are all fruit on the bottom.

Beth

elephantmeg
12-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Directions or a link please. :loveeyes:

I haven't tried this yet but here's a link using a crock pot

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

mommyp
12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I get ours at TJs too and have noticed the same thing. I'm not a fan of fruit on the bottom, I usually just buy a big tub of plain or vanilla and mix fruit/granola in myself.