PDA

View Full Version : When to start Ferber or Weisbluth method?

ckso
12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
My baby is 12 weeks old....and having a horrible time sleeping.

When can I start using the Ferber or Weisbluth method??

Also, my baby is very active is her sleep where she shakes her head and moves her arms and legs a lot. Its to a point where she wakes herself up unless she's tightly swaddled. But she's also getting too big to be swaddled and her arms escape, which of course then wakes her up.

Anybody had this problem? Any suggestions??

ahrimie
12-15-2008, 02:58 PM
you're supposed to start around 4+ months.. around 12 weeks though, i think it's a good idea to start bedtime routines though. like, a bath/massage, reading time... i used "key words" around that time though and that helped a ton. (it's from pantley's no cry sleeping method---i read like 5 sleep books, lol) you use a phrase or words to signal it's time to sleep like, shush shush night night... and you introduce them when they're falling asleep, not when they're fussing and won't go to sleep.

with that said though, i've known moms to sleep train using ferber or weisbluth as early as 6 weeks... i'd read the books and see which method you like better for yourself. they also give tips for younger babies like yours.

srhs
12-19-2008, 12:53 AM
As for the swaddling, we really liked the size Large SwaddleMes. We could do arms in or out all the way until DC started standing. We used them like sleepsacks once we went arms out.

lewisgang
02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Most say 4 months..although I started earlier. I loosely used the Ferber method & it worked beautifully. Not sure if it was the method or a baby that just sleeps well:)

He was sleeping in his own crib at 6 weeks and thru the night at 4 months (with few exceptions).

lewisgang
02-01-2009, 05:14 PM
oops I forgot to add that I bought the Ferber book and found it very technical language...the info in the Baby 411 book is plenty to get you started (if you dont have it yet--get it!)